Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D 5 seater and just received my VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something's still rank in Denmark! With TM not releasing 5 seaters till 2017, and the VIN's of @Harry C and @faktor not jiving with what we know of VIN decoders, I think they have been upgraded to 6-7 seaters, or Hawthorne people are purposely giving disinformation. Why on earth would TM release 5 seat VINs to EU before the car has been made for USA deliveries. It just makes no sense. I upgraded from 5 to 6 one month and 2 days ago, and expect delivery of my 6 seater in next 7-14 days. My 6th digit on VIN is "B" which correctly corresponds to 6 seat. @faktor has not released his full VIN, and @Harry C VIN 6th digit is "C" which corresponds to 7 seater. Something just ain't right in what these 2 EU guys are saying. Quite frankly, I believe TM and not them. Go ahead boys, call me whatever you want cuz I ruffled your feathers.

Something's still rank in Denmark! With TM not releasing 5 seaters till 2017, and the VIN's of @Harry C and @faktor not jiving with what we know of VIN decoders, I think they have been upgraded to 6-7 seaters, or Hawthorne people are purposely giving disinformation. Why on earth would TM release 5 seat VINs to EU before the car has been made for USA deliveries. It just makes no sense. I upgraded from 5 to 6 one month and 2 days ago, and expect delivery of my 6 seater in next 7-14 days. My 6th digit on VIN is "B" which correctly corresponds to 6 seat. @faktor has not released his full VIN, and @Harry C VIN 6th digit is "C" which corresponds to 7 seater. Something just ain't right in what these 2 EU guys are saying. Quite frankly, I believe TM and not them. Go ahead boys, call me whatever you want cuz I ruffled your feathers.
Something is definitely not right, with no US Vins and 2 European maybe vins. I forgot what they say their delivery dates are?

I am sorry but it is the truth. My DS says delivery sept/oct and i also dont know what is going on. Why on earth would i lie about this ? And i am sure not going to change to 6 or 7 because with 3 kids you dont want 6 seater which would mean there is Always one alone in a row. A 7 seater i dont want because for this price and how often i use it it will be much cheaper to ask a taxi to follow me for this one trip a year :). We all know what a me

Reactions: GVTesla

Giving Vin #s out long in advance has been done before. There was a period with Model S where Hong Kong people got MS Vin #s in March, production started in June and received cars late August of 2014. Early Vin #s like 37xxx. However, it was used "perhaps" to generate shipping documents or other reasons. And also it makes the Vin number series appear larger by applying Vin #s early in addition to building the inventory and demo cars ahead of customers's Vin #s.

I am sorry but it is the truth. My DS says delivery sept/oct and i also dont know what is going on. Why on earth would i lie about this ? And i am sure not going to change to 6 or 7 because with 3 kids you dont want 6 seater which would mean there is Always one alone in a row. A 7 seater i dont want because for this price and how often i use it it will be much cheaper to ask a taxi to follow me for this one trip a year :). We all know what a me
@Harry C , I don't think you are lying. It just seems to make no sense. I am glad your delivery is coming Sept/Oct and I look forward to the pictures of the first 5 seat Model X delivered! It will be great news for the rest of us with 5 seats.

There was a car with a VIN reported in Chicago for 5 seater from sometime in March or April on the modelxtracker, but neither moderator was ever able to get to the guy/gal to confirm 5 vs 6 vs 7. I am not calling Harry a liar, but there is a complete disconnect between ordering customers and TM that cannot be deciphered. Also, remember the seat latch problem? All US versions passed the test, and one out of 12 (I believe) of the EU cars failed the latch test, so they recalled the entire production of 3rd row seats. My point is they are testing US and EU cars at the same time, so why would they promise EU cars if not promising USA cars at same time? Crash test one, crash test them all. I think it's either a design issue they need to hammer out, or they'd rather eek out an extra 4 grand profit per car that they can upsell from 5 seat to 6-7 seat with the additional HVAC units. Just my thought folks.

@schtig you are incorrect about the Third row*2 addition to your VIN. Look at the NHTSA document for Model X decoding. There is nothing mentioned regarding 2 row vs 3 rows that you can decipher with a VIN. Thus, VIN is not a giveaway for determining if a specific car is a 5 vs 6 vs 7 seater. You would have to look at the car. Similar to saying that a car has UHFS or seat warmers just by looking at VIN...you cant make such a conclusion.
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG11230.pdf

Reactions: schtig