Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D (& 70D) is not fixed, but active like P90D?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This discussion is going on in some other threads on this forum, but hidden as it's kinda off topic in those threads.

New 90D owner MarchX took delivery of his 90D and is reporting that the not only does the spoiler retract, but is speed sensitive.

Here's a link to pictures of his new 90D with the spoiler retracted and extended.

MarchX's 90D Post #148

Could it be that Tesla Motors is just streamlining production or perhaps they included it because of the additional 1-2% battery savings?

Understandably, P90D owners might be a little hot under the collar about this, but hopefully they didn't upgrade for the spoiler alone. I have a 90D ordered and am very excited about this development.

Reactions: madodel
This discussion is going on in some other threads on this forum, but hidden as it's kinda off topic in those threads.

New 90D owner MarchX took delivery of his 90D and is reporting that the not only does the spoiler retract, but is speed sensitive.

Here's a link to pictures of his new 90D with the spoiler retracted and extended.

MarchX's 90D Post #148

Could it be that Tesla Motors is just streamlining production or perhaps they included it because of the additional 1-2% battery savings?

Understandably, P90D owners might be a little hot under the collar about this, but hopefully they didn't upgrade for the spoiler alone. I have a 90D ordered and am very excited about this development.
It would be nice if this were the case for all levels of the Model X, if it is fixed I would love to not have it at all.

I got ludicrous mode without having to pay for it. I think they still have issues on production line. I was kicking myself for not ordering ludicrous mode as I ordered everything else accept 22 inch wheels. Ended up with it anyway.

Reactions: ModelX
I got ludicrous mode without having to pay for it. I think they still have issues on production line. I was kicking myself for not ordering ludicrous mode as I ordered everything else accept 22 inch wheels. Ended up with it anyway.
Are you sure? As I remember you always had in your signature saying P90DL ? you ordered P90D without L but in signature you had always L though...

I'm o.k. with a fixed spoiler on my 90D under one condition. IF TESLA IS GOING TO MAKE THE SPOILER FIXED ON THE 90D, THEY HAVE TO MANUFACTURE A DIFFERENT LIFTGATE. In other words, it needs to be a painted, smooth liftgate rear under the spoiler, and then a fixed spoiler using nice supports. You can't just take the design used for the P90D, and disable it so that it is stuck up all the time. That looks horrible, with a black pocket for the spoiler that doesn't get used, and thin, slotted metals brackets holding it up. Not on my $112,000 car!

I'm o.k. with a fixed spoiler on my 90D under one condition. IF TESLA IS GOING TO MAKE THE SPOILER FIXED ON THE 90D, THEY HAVE TO MANUFACTURE A DIFFERENT LIFTGATE. In other words, it needs to be a painted, smooth liftgate rear under the spoiler, and then a fixed spoiler using nice supports. You can't just take the design used for the P90D, and disable it so that it is stuck up all the time. That looks horrible, with a black pocket for the spoiler that doesn't get used, and thin, slotted metals brackets holding it up. Not on my $112,000 car!

I believe that "black pocket" is actually just the bottom portion of the windshield. When the spoiler is parked, you lose the visibility in that bottom portion.

There is not a black pocket under the spoiler. The rear glass extends the full way under the spoiler so that when the spoiler is up, it provides a greater area of visibility out of the back window. If they got rid of the spoiler altogether, they would have to find a new location for the third brake light.

I'm glad they appear to be giving the 90D the fully adaptive spoiler, and hope it doesn't get dumbed down in software later on. People buy the Performance model because they want to be quicker off the line, not because of a spoiler. Tesla has even made the Model S spoiler available as an accessory to any owner, so I see no reason to limit the Model X functionality to just Performance models.

The 90D spoiler is not an Active spoiler like it is on the P90D. On the 90D, it's fixed in 2 positions - it's always in the "up" position when the car is unlocked, or when you are driving. It's in the "down" position when the car is locked.

The 90D spoiler is not an Active spoiler like it is on the P90D. On the 90D, it's fixed in 2 positions - it's always in the "up" position when the car is unlocked, or when you are driving. It's in the "down" position when the car is locked.

I do not think it means what you think it means.
ecd900f3d31967e781296fae6920e496.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
Are you sure? As I remember you always had in your signature saying P90DL ? you ordered P90D without L but in signature you had always L though...

So they are still doing this. When I picked up my Sig X they had Ludicrous enabled as well. I mentioned I wouldn’t pay for it as I hadn’t ordered it and they disabled it. It is just a software setting plus the plastic emblem on the back of the car. My P90D is fast enough for me so not a big deal. For all the grief Darryl has been through they owe him at least that much. ;-)

Cleaning dust is one thing, but snow and ice in winter is even worse. I assume something will get broken. The question is, what breaks first; Spoiler or the Ice

This isn't unique to the Model X though. This can happen to every car with a door handle (and incidentally, the MX doesn't have the door handle problem here).

Or in other words, I'd be extremely surprised if this wasn't engineered with this situation in mind. Just like all those broken door handles you hear about after ice storms.

I was thinking more about this. With the visibility through the tiny rear view mirror being so poor, and the spoiler in the fully deployed mode blocking more of the view, Tesla might have decided to make all spoilers active to improve visibility when going below 45?