Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D and a 270 mile leg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will soon be getting my 90D, and I would like to take a road trip to my sisters house.

EV Trip Planner

If you look the last leg is 270 miles. Tesla says that if it is 70 degrees I should be able to make it. EvTripPlanner is not so sure.

Do any of you have a 90D and some experience with a long leg like this?

I can't reference your altitude impacts, but I've done 280+ many times, although admittedly had to curb my right foot several times :rolleyes: and draft behind big wheelers due to wind but otherwise comfortably crawled into a SC <5 RMs. I always have a back up plan just in case which includes a truck stop to scoop up enough volts to get me to the SC, but never needed it. 70 degrees is average here.

hmm....I've found that in mild temps without spirited acceleration or lots of positive elevation change, I can achieve rated miles driving 60-65mph.

looking at your trip I believe the -1500 feet of the last leg is allowing you to get away with a speed multiplier of 1, which probably means more like 70mph. A speed multiplier of 1 means prevailing speed according to google, not speed limit, and I know for a fact google assumes minor speeding (they use big data and actual driving speed).

The biggest variable here is headwinds. If you hit a strong or even mild headwind you'll lose range or need to slow way down. If you are confident in the winds you'll expereince though I would go for it.

Ever see the episode of Seinfeld where they see how far they can go on the tank of gas? We all have the desire to push it. :) just have a back up plan, namely, hopefully there are at least some level 2 options on the way for a boost in case your car's computer starts warning you that you need to drive 45mph to make it....

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888 and ChadS
The car will tell you to slow down if it doesn't think you can make it without a reduced speed. Speed is a real killer when it comes to range. If there's no superchargers, I prefer to stop at a Chademo, or even an L2, and take a break, and then drive faster, rather than crawl along like a slug to make it. But if there's no other option then slowing down really increases range, at least with my RWD S85.

Maybe but only if you drove slow enough. The speed limits in west Texas will kill your range if you try to keep up. If I go 75 mph, I'll only get between me and my parent's house (218 miles) with about 60ish rated miles left, which would only translate to about 30-40 miles at 75mph. If it's cold out, you'll get significantly less. You might just plan a longer route through Waco and down 35 just to be safe because according to PlugShare there is basically nothing between sweetwater and junction. Again, speed dependent, but it would be a harrowing trip in my opinion and I'd go the longer route personally...

Temp matters, but you have no control. Same as headwinds, but you have controlled over speed. You can make it for sure by driving 50-55mph.. Maybe speed up at the end if you have lots of extra energy

I find if you put the right condition into evtripplanner, you should be OK. They are slightly conservative but not overly conservative like tesla's trip planner. Usually for me I just charge to the rated miles required to make it and I leave with some range left. But keep in mind you better be right about the weather condition for it to be accurate.

From the link, it says you need 269 rated to make it. Assuming you are right in terms of weather and temperature and payload, you should be fine if you charge to 270 rated miles before leaving. Also make sure you are honest on the speed because if you plan to drive faster, put it in the evtripplanner and you will get an idea of how much more energy you will spend doing so.

Watch the trip predicted energy graph vs what you actually get and just make sure that the actual real time prediction (green line) stays above the original prediction (gray line) if you start out on the edge. In this example the car is using more energy for the trip than originally predicted which is not what you want. You can turn this around simply by driving slower.
IMG_4080.jpg

Haha dude I have a p90D so a bit diff but here is no CHANCE that I could hit 270 miles on a trip....zero.

I did it once in my P85D but I had to start at 100% and drive 55 MPH. I averaged 270 wh / mile. I normally average 285 wh / mi in 75 degree weather with no wind on flat. If you're willing to drive slow enough and if the conditions are right, you could do it in your P90D.

What I said doesn't apply in rain, cold, headend, etc.

I did it once in my P85D but I had to start at 100% and drive 55 MPH. I averaged 270 wh / mile. I normally average 285 wh / mi in 75 degree weather with no wind on flat. If you're willing to drive slow enough and if the conditions are right, you could do it in your P90D.

What I said doesn't apply in rain, cold, headend, etc.
It's gotta be stressful driving like that particularly if there's no alternative plan or your past the point of no alternative plan.

Check out PlugShare. It looks like there is a Tesla charger at the Best Western Llano, and there is also a J1772 charger in Fredericksburg. You can definitely attempt to drive straight through, but having a couple of "plan B" options would be prudent. If you are close to the limit, you may only need 30 minutes of Level 2 charging to cover the gap.

I will soon be getting my 90D, and I would like to take a road trip to my sisters house.

EV Trip Planner

If you look the last leg is 270 miles. Tesla says that if it is 70 degrees I should be able to make it. EvTripPlanner is not so sure.

Do any of you have a 90D and some experience with a long leg like this?
270 miles is a very long hop, it might be doable in the most perfect of weather conditions, no head winds, no rain and no changes in elevation provided that you charge to 100% and keep under 65 mph. I would check to see if there are places to charge along the route in case things don't work perfectly.