Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D and a 270 mile leg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you all feel doing 222 miles in a P90D?

At 70 degrees, speed 1.0, 800 payload (19 tires), pretty flat, EV trip planner says 217, OK seems fine.

At 32 degrees it says 257 miles....too close I think?

With 90D, i'd be pretty comfortable covering the distance
Try not to use heat and go over 60mph (seat/steering warmers are ok)
This is the quickest way to get to your destination with no stopping
Just watch that graph, you should see your energy usage either match or improve over the estimate
Slow down if you see a drop against estimate line
I personally, always exceed projected range when i need it
I would not draft behind semi, i would just make sure speed stays constant
This way car does not have to do any sudden accelerations and lose efficiency

P.S. Important to have proper tires
Summer rubber is terrible in cold weather, even in dry
They increase consumption quite a bit
Low-resistance winters are best suited in this case

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and sorka
How would you all feel doing 222 miles in a P90D?

At 70 degrees, speed 1.0, 800 payload (19 tires), pretty flat, EV trip planner says 217, OK seems fine.

At 32 degrees it says 257 miles....too close I think?
I just did a 217 mile leg at around 32 degrees. I had charged to 90% and had to keep my speed to around 60mph I think, kept the heater at 65 (wore coat and used seat warmer) and there was a large drop in elevation. I also had range mode on and I got there with about 16% remaining. Mind you I probably only had a payload of 400-500 lbs with 3 people and some luggage. As they said above, keep an eye on your trip energy consumption and you should be fine.

Chris

Consider if there is an accident or some other obstruction that causes a delay. I wouldn't do it, too risky...

Not sure how any type of delay would cause a problem. The OP indicated an Ext Temp of 72° so I assume no A/C and no heat and since EV's don't "idle" there is virtually no energy loss while sitting still. In fact, you'd have a longer range if traffic delays forced you to drive at, say, 45 mph.

That said, two summers ago I was driving an ICE from Riverton, WY to Rapid City, SD via Lusk, WY, just to check out the supercharger in Lusk. All was going well until I arrived at Orin, WY only find out that a flood had washed out the bridge in Lusk. Had I been driving my 90D I would have been forced to return to Casper, charge up and resume my trip via Gillette. The moral of the story is that *sugar* happens. o_O

P.S. I retraced that same route this past summer in my 90D. Should have been able to make Lusk (224 mi) easily but encountered such stiff head winds that I was forced to charge in Casper.

I would just charge at a SC anywhere along the route for like 15 or 20 min. I can see no reason to stretch it - I'd rather see you arrive with a charge and take you sister to dinner in it!!! I also see zero chance of you making it unless you do like 45mph.

Road trips in a model s are meant to fun. I just completed a 3000 trip. I would not recommend your route. Short charge times and more super chargers with lots of reserve make for a nicer trip. I would not consider it fun to drive 60-65 MPH in Texas. Our new 90D charges fast up to 85% so that last leg is going to cost you in time. Cisco,Waco, San Marcus would be my recommendation. You can play "where is the supercharger game". Road tripping in the S is a blast, and a whole new way of driving.

Well, from reading the posts, apparently "range anxiety" is still a thing of the present. It was supposed to be no more once cars were able to go 200 miles on a charge. Clearly not the case in all situations. Making it still difficult to have a Tesla as your ONLY vehicle if you travel a lot.

Sounds like this is a case of an area that still needs superchargers. Fortunately where I am, there are superchargers. Barstow to Needles is a bit tight in my P90D as I usually arrive with less than 10 miles of range left. Car gives me warnings almost the entire way. Kind of annoying.

The other common issue I run into is not so much getting to my destination, but when my final destination is 100 miles away from the Supercharger I'll return to on the way back, leaves me no room to drive around much in the area of my destination. With 18-20 miles lost to phantom "range loss" over three nights at my destination and no place to charge.

Absolutely love my car and range is never an issue when not travelling. Don't even give it a second thought. But after two years and multiple long distance trips, it has grown tiresome to travel with the car and have to plan ahead and be limited in my driving. My two stop trip to Havasu from L.A. takes 7 1/2 hours with the Tesla, charging the absolute minimum amount of time possible. In a regular car, the same trip is 5 to 5 hrs 15 minutes. Its a tough car to be in a hurry with. If I tried to speed up between Needles & Barstow, i wouldn't make it on range. Out in the middle of desert, most people are flying by at 85-90+ MPH. I'm stuck at 75 MPH.

270 miles on a single charge, would be way too stressful for me to bother trying. Knowing I'd have to pay attention every second of the way, wondering "will I make it". Having to slow down and make the stressful trip even longer. I'd look for a charging option of some sort along the way and not stress about it. Check hotels with L2 chargers or Tesla wall chargers. Plan your trip with a stop for lunch/dinner and add 30-40 miles of range during your stop so you can have a relaxing, stress free trip.

Couple of things. OP mentioned 70 degrees but didn't say it would be 70 that day. If it is 70 I don't see the problem.

OP was a Leaf driver and I get that most S drivers were not former Leaf drivers. You have no problem significantly exceeding rated range in mild weather. But - new tires have higher RR so how new is this car? Jack up the tire pressures either way.

My 70D gets RM at 70-72 MPH. Drafting adds a bit to that. So you either draft a bit or slow down a bit for a buffer. Remember you are asking advice from people who have never driven a Leaf.

The other option is finding surface streets in the general area. Drive at 45 mph for 80 miles and you will be up 10-15 RM. Range at 45 mph is 443 miles. My calculator actually says you gain 27 miles but I'm figuring in some stop lights.

La Cantera is way on the North side of town and has a Tesla destination charger. Perfectly good spot as a fall back That cuts 17 miles off from your pin (center of town?). A cup of coffee or perhaps schedule a massage. There is a Chademo at a Nissan dealer even further North (if it is an option- quick call).

You find a truck to sit behind at 65 mph for 100 miles and you will be about +15 on the RM.

So there is about 50 miles you can find on that leg - draft for 100, surface for 80, and Tesla destination charger North side of town. Lots of options and you might not need any of them.

The main difference between Tesla and Leaf is that Leaf range plummets at highway speed. The second difference is a more accurate zero point (not the flashing ---- that can give anyone chest pain).

Last edited:
I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Tesla apparently heard your wishes - about a month ago they started construction on an eight stall Supercharger in Junction, TX - right near the halfway point of that final leg. Construction times vary, but it should be operational within the next month or two:

supercharge.info

Supercharger - Junction, TX
But... This. I assume this is operational now, or if not it will be any day now.

270 miles on a single charge, would be way too stressful for me to bother trying. Knowing I'd have to pay attention every second of the way, wondering "will I make it". Having to slow down and make the stressful trip even longer. I'd look for a charging option of some sort along the way and not stress about it. Check hotels with L2 chargers or Tesla wall chargers. Plan your trip with a stop for lunch/dinner and add 30-40 miles of range during your stop so you can have a relaxing, stress free trip.
The only difference between your scenario and his is that his 100% rated range is 294 so while cutting it very close it's "possible".

The only difference between your scenario and his is that his 100% rated range is 294 so while cutting it very close it's "possible".

Oh, it's certainly possible. Not arguing that at all. But, to get the rated range, you have to drive very nicely. You can't just let loose and drive care free. If it's cold out, his range won't actually be 294. But even at 294, He's going to have go around 60 MPH to achieve it. If he's on a freeway with typical speed limits of between 65 and 75 MPH, he's going to be a road block. To me, having to drive so slow, wondering if I'll make it, is not enjoyable. Furthermore, what happens if he gets halfway and realizes that some hills took up more range than expected. Now at the 135 mile mark, he only has 100 miles of range left? Now what?

Anyway, was just pointing out the things to think about as someone that's experience the range anxiety and should certainly have a back up option to charge somewhere along the way, just in case, since this will be his first time making such a trip. And sounds like he's new to Tesla, so he may think he's driving nice, but in reality, for a Tesla, his view of driving nice could still be bad. Just don't want to see him have an uncomfortable experience turn into a very bad experience if he were to fall short and get stranded.

I just did a 217 mile leg at around 32 degrees. I had charged to 90% and had to keep my speed to around 60mph I think, kept the heater at 65 (wore coat and used seat warmer) and there was a large drop in elevation. I also had range mode on and I got there with about 16% remaining.
Chris
If you had charged to 100% you could have set the heat on 70 instead.
It will not hurt the battery to charge to 100%, just don't charge it and then let it sit for all day at that level.

If the Supercharger at Junction isn't open by the time you take your trip, then stop by the Menard County RV Park in Menard, TX for 40 amp charging. It's thirty miles north of Junction, (and not listed in Plugshare.) I've charged there several times when driving my Tesla back and forth between Killeen and Las Cruces, NM. BTW, I stopped by the Junction SC three days ago. Everything appears completed, including an installed meter with a few Kwh on it. (There is no structure around the inverter arrays, but it almost seems that there may not be any planned.) However, the pedestals remained unlit and wrapped in heavy plastic. Also, the Sweetwater SC still isn't working (after several weeks.) On second thought, I think your best bet would be use the Childress SC after Amarillo and not count on either Sweetwater or Junction.