Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Deliveries Begin Early 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the mid-3000s confirmed, weeks ago, no VIN
decifer at will from my signature below. I'd like to know what the hold up is too
Perhaps it's the multi-pattern seats or lack of Premium package in general. They did not quote extra delivery time in the Design Studio, but since this option isn't available on Signatures it may be something they don't have available for immediate shipment.

Looks like he posted his configuration: "P90D with everything except audio upgrade and lud. 7 seats"

Yes, my question is - what factors come into play when Tesla prioritizes orders? Obviously the main factor is battery size and drive train. That one is known. The seat configuration also seems to matter, the 5-seat option in particular seems to bump orders back. But what else is there? Are orders also grouped by other options? Which ones?

I don't assume anybody knows, at best the Model X Tracker data could be leveraged to see if there's a pattern visible, although the data set is probably too small for any meaningful answers.

According to the Model X Tracker for Production Model X (not Founder or Sig):

181 Vehicles Ordered/Confirmed/Assembly
21/181 vehicles assigned VIN's (in production).​
All are P90 or P90 with Ludicrous.​
All are 6 or 7 seater.​
Majority 72A charger​
160/181 vehicles not assigned VIN's (ordered/confirmed).​
51/160 Performance or better
21/160 Ludicrous​
30/160 Performance​
No obvious pattern differentiating these from the one's above with VIN's​
109/160 Standard or unspecified​

The numbers vehicles above are self reported on the Tracker. Over 1000 vehicles being tracked (out of 20,000+ US reservations)

Last edited:
It seems that after the "P90" option, the Premium Package has the biggest effect on vin#. It has been suggested that since this package involves many changes, and all of the Sig's included it, they are building the Premium Package cars first. Just my $.02. Feel free to substitute your own theory.:confused:

I would tend to agree about the premium package helping with the lower VINs, as well as the ultra high fidelity sound. The upgraded sound package has a few more speakers, etc. and was also included in all the signatures.

I was late to make my order (invited 12/7 but didn't order till 12/16 and finally confirmed 12/23). My reservation queue was in the high 4800s and by the time I ordered, the invites had gone out to close to 10k holders. My VIN is in the 400's and I chose both premium and UHF sound system.

It seems that after the "P90" option, the Premium Package has the biggest effect on vin#. It has been suggested that since this package involves many changes, and all of the Sig's included it, they are building the Premium Package cars first. Just my $.02. Feel free to substitute your own theory.:confused:
I have been debating about the premium package , looks like i will have to take it when i order my X90D to jump ahead in the Canadian line up whenever it starts:wink:.

I would tend to agree about the premium package helping with the lower VINs, as well as the ultra high fidelity sound. The upgraded sound package has a few more speakers, etc. and was also included in all the signatures.

I was late to make my order (invited 12/7 but didn't order till 12/16 and finally confirmed 12/23). My reservation queue was in the high 4800s and by the time I ordered, the invites had gone out to close to 10k holders. My VIN is in the 400's and I chose both premium and UHF sound system.

I didn't order the premium sound, but still got a low 200's vin

One on of these threads, someone suggested that a config that looked like the Sigs will get built sooner as they are already set up for that--maybe there is something to that as our config ended up close to a Sig (no Lud, 6 seats, no tow) and we got a 4xx VIN this week.

On the Tesla forum, it appears that every P90D that got a VIN has Premium interior. I don't believe there is a single P90D without Premium interior with a VIN yet. If they build the P90D without Premium second, I don't know if the 90D without premium will follow to keep things simple, or if they switch the batching back to Premium interior first on the 90D. It would suck to pay an extra $4,500 in the hopes of an early delivery on the 90D, and then find out it actually slowed you down....

On the Tesla forum, it appears that every P90D that got a VIN has Premium interior. I don't believe there is a single P90D without Premium interior with a VIN yet. If they build the P90D without Premium second, I don't know if the 90D without premium will follow to keep things simple, or if they switch the batching back to Premium interior first on the 90D. It would suck to pay an extra $4,500 in the hopes of an early delivery on the 90D, and then find out it actually slowed you down....
It won't be that long before they are cranking out 800-1,000 per week. I think I'd order exactly what you want.

It won't be that long before they are cranking out 800-1,000 per week. I think I'd order exactly what you want.

Absolutely. I wouldn't modify my order just to gain a couple of months. I think most of us intend to keep the car for years, if not a decade, and not ordering the car you wanted in order to get it a little earlier seems misguided. Those few months of waiting translate to years of additional payments, or worse still, spending the car's lifetime not having the configuration you really wanted.

Although there is movement in P90D VIN's, a lot of reservation holders are still waiting VINs. There seems to be no rhyme or rationale for VINs to reservation numbers, or even configurations. I have a P90D with premium, and others about the same reservation number got VINs and I didn't. Also there are holders with much lower reservation numbers awaiting VINs as well. Maybe too early to draw any conclusions.

Absolutely. I wouldn't modify my order just to gain a couple of months. I think most of us intend to keep the car for years, if not a decade, and not ordering the car you wanted in order to get it a little earlier seems misguided. Those few months of waiting translate to years of additional payments, or worse still, spending the car's lifetime not having the configuration you really wanted.
Agreed. It's kinda like buying a white car because it's a more popular color and may be easier to resell, when you really wanted blue. You might be able to turn it around a little quicker when you do finally sell it but you'd be wishing you had a blue car that whole time (BTW, I ordered blue, but I'm not planning on reselling it any time soon). :)

So based on the Model X tracker it seems that more than half of the people who have entered their data have chosen a P90D. I wonder if this is impacted by all Sigs being P90Ds or if this surprisingly large ratio is a reflection of people's desire to get the car earlier...

Just did an export of Model X Tracker data. For those Production orders with an order date - it looked to be running 2 to 1 - standard 90D vs P90D. Sounds like good news for those ordering a 90D. There were very few 70's. For sure the Sigs' skew the aggregate totals to P90Ds.