Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Drops $2K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides throwing-in the automatic rear lift gate, it looks like the (near-end-of-life) 90D has dropped $2K.

Of course, as a consolation to most previous buyers, unlimited supercharging is gone on the new ones.(But $2K buys a LOT of $0.20 per KWH Supercharger electrons...at least 25K miles!).

People might disagree but it seems like Tesla no longer cares about existing customers and only cares about bringing in new customers at this point. As a 90D owner after I picked up my 90D they shortly introduced the 100D at $3000 more which basically killed the demand for the 90D and now they dropped the price another $2k.

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg and Maaz
75D buyers and previous 75D upgrades took the biggest hit. $7500.

Only car that may have benefited is x60D that was not upgraded.

Feel bad for locked in S60 (really locked in 75 orders) buyers that could have bought a s75 for $1500 more.

Last edited:
At least they can upgrade for $2K, so still a great deal for 60 owners like me. :D
I meant more the people "suckered" by Tesla marketing people that it was last few days to buy a 60 (not any owners before the annocument).

While i guess it was not lying, and they can still upgrade. So really screwed people that happened to get a 75 in last couple weeks.

People might disagree but it seems like Tesla no longer cares about existing customers and only cares about bringing in new customers at this point. As a 90D owner after I picked up my 90D they shortly introduced the 100D at $3000 more which basically killed the demand for the 90D and now they dropped the price another $2k.
That's complete nonsense.

I meant more the people "suckered" by Tesla marketing people that it was last few days to buy a 60 (not any owners before the annocument).

While i guess it was not lying, and they can still upgrade. So really screwed people that happened to get a 75 in last couple weeks.
Nobody got screwed. They got what they paid for at the time of purchase in a freely entered into exchange by two parties. Then Tesla improved the product and value proposition for later buyers. Welcome to the free market and the march of technological progress kiddies.

I don't think any luxury automaker's priority is preserving existing owners' resale values. Teslas rapidly change and that includes the cost model. Not a few months go by before something substantial happening -- weeks after my last order, they added rear cupholders / USB ports, and then months later was the AP1 -> AP2 transition, and then the premium seats with adjustable headrests, the P100D and then the crash safety tweaks in January, the 100D, etc etc etc, and that's recounting less than a year's worth of Tesla history.

Sorry to those who feel like they missed the train. There's only one thing that's certain: If you keep looking at new Teslas after buying yours, you'll always find something you wish you waited for. If you play that game, you'll never find a good time to buy one. The only sane thing to do is to make your purchase decision based off what is available today and whether or not that is the best fit for you, and stand by that decision.

Spoken from someone who owns a 70D and can update to a 75D for what $500? You were one of the ones that benefited. If you purchased a 90D that is worth $20k less 4 months later you might think of it differently.

I think the people feeling most screwed are those who did the 60D to 75D upgrade at full price up until last night -- they paid a few thousand extra for a purely intangible software unlock that had zero impact on their resale value.

I dunno, everyone who purchase a new Tesla will be upset 3 months later when theirs is no longer the best car available. With everyone else, these changes happen at predictable model years with a 4+ month preannouncement of what's coming next year. You get to feel satisfied for a year (and even Audi/BMW tweak standard equipment and trim pricing all the time aligned with model years... And that's not even the whole story -- the particular BMW model I leased, the residual value went from 55 to 64% a week after I signed mine, resulting in a ~$150/mo price difference for the exact same car)

There's always going to be a risk of buyer's remorse due to mis-timing a purchase. It's just that there's a slightly higher probability of it with Tesla because of how rapidly they are making changes, not because of how actively they are trying to screw existing customers. Life is too short to live in that mentality...

(FTR as a recent Tesla to Tesla trade-in customer, Tesla gave the best trade-in offer for my car by several thousand dollars compared to other instant-cash and trade-in appraisals. They confirmed the trade in, curb rash and door dings and worn out tires and all, with 8 photos taken on a phone, and did not hassle me about any of the details on delivery day. If they were trying to screw me, they totally missed the mark.)

Not sure why everyone is dinging Tesla for trying to be more competitive with pricing. This is the hallmark of free market competition. Prices go up, prices go down. You as the consumer are playing a game of options (price vs opportunity cost). Heck, the new equivalent of my 2.5 year old 65" TV has dropped in price by a whopping 75%. Should my manufacturer, Samsung, kept the price artificially high amidst fierce competition just for my psychological benefit?

Not sure why everyone is dinging Tesla for trying to be more competitive with pricing. This is the hallmark of free market competition. Prices go up, prices go down. You as the consumer are playing a game of options (price vs opportunity cost). Heck, the new equivalent of my 2.5 year old 65" TV has dropped in price by a whopping 75%. Should my manufacturer, Samsung, kept the price artificially high amidst fierce competition just for my psychological benefit?

Because its all games with Tesla and it makes people really frustrated. Heck they were running rumors of price increases to get people to commit to placing orders and then they come out with a price decrease instead. We are also not talking about a $3k TV for many of us we are talking about $100k+ purchases and when your car loses value as mine did of almost $20k+ in 4 months you feel burned. Right after picking up my 90D, They rolled out the 100D for $3k more making no one want a 90D anymore. To make things worse they are now including glass roof that was $1500 for no additional cost now and they dropped the price another $2k. It just gets frustrating. I still dont have my damn auto high beams or auto windshield wipers and other things that were promised so it just adds fuel to the fire.

• Love
Reactions: xborg and mmd
Right after picking up my 90D, They rolled out the 100D for $3k more making no one want a 90D anymore.

Not sure what you are asking for here? It seems like you are saying that Tesla shouldn't have rolled out the 100D in order to preserve the value of your 90D? That's probably not what you actually mean here. If you make an assumption that Tesla has improved their margins to where they feel like they make a more competitive offer on their cars and optional features, what sort of alternative strategy do you envision that addresses your concerns?

Reactions: Gur814
Spoken from someone who owns a 70D and can update to a 75D for what $500? You were one of the ones that benefited. If you purchased a 90D that is worth $20k less 4 months later you might think of it differently.
Nope. Spoken like someone who owns an early 2016 70D who cannot upgrade to anything whatsoever. I got what I paid for. To view it any other way is illogical. Yep I have a 2017 60D which I can upgrade but I would rather have gotten a 100D given the new pricing and included equipment. Nevertheless I'm not butt hurt. I got what I paid for and that's that.

Reactions: Raven
Right after picking up my 90D, They rolled out the 100D for $3k more making no one want a 90D anymore.

If it makes you feel any better, the 100D is now $5K more than the 90D. But it does now include the ($1K option) High Amperage Charger. This option is not even shown for the 90D (at least as of 9AM on 4-17).

Such is life...

Tesla may just be trying to use up their 90 KWh battery packs so that they can eliminate the 90D along with the 60 series and simplify things.