Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Drops $2K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why everyone is dinging Tesla for trying to be more competitive with pricing. This is the hallmark of free market competition. Prices go up, prices go down. You as the consumer are playing a game of options (price vs opportunity cost). Heck, the new equivalent of my 2.5 year old 65" TV has dropped in price by a whopping 75%. Should my manufacturer, Samsung, kept the price artificially high amidst fierce competition just for my psychological benefit?
Yes, according to the geniuses on this thread that's exactly what Samsung should have done lol.

Not sure what you are asking for here? It seems like you are saying that Tesla shouldn't have rolled out the 100D in order to preserve the value of your 90D? That's probably not what you actually mean here. If you make an assumption that Tesla has improved their margins to where they feel like they make a more competitive offer on their cars and optional features, what sort of alternative strategy do you envision that addresses your concerns?

I am saying that 90D purchasers got burned because their battery was not really a 90kw battery it was closer to a 85 pack if you look at the tear down. The 100D was surely a much better battery and they offered it as such as cheap price that it essentially made the 90D obsolete instantly.
If it makes you feel any better, the 100D is now $5K more than the 90D. But it does now include the ($1K option) High Amperage Charger. This option is not even shown for the 90D (at least as of 9AM on 4-17).

Such is life...

Tesla may just be trying to use up their 90 KWh battery packs so that they can eliminate the 90D along with the 60 series and simplify things.

Yes, This is what I am expecting that the 90D will disappear as soon as they run out of stocked batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Meanwhile .. Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

Apr 24 - 100D/P100D prices will rise.

However, as battery prices fall, you can imagine that 100D and P100D will also depreciate the fastest.
The way I see it, you buy a car, you are gonna loose money. Just drive it and enjoy it, and stop worrying about depreciation.

It will still be $500 cheaper than my March delivered 100D. Right now it is $3,000 cheaper than my March delivered 100D.

(FTR as a recent Tesla to Tesla trade-in customer, Tesla gave the best trade-in offer for my car by several thousand dollars compared to other instant-cash and trade-in appraisals. They confirmed the trade in, curb rash and door dings and worn out tires and all, with 8 photos taken on a phone, and did not hassle me about any of the details on delivery day. If they were trying to screw me, they totally missed the mark.)
Could you please describe this process further, perhaps in a thread of it's own ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Could you please describe this process further, perhaps in a thread of it's own ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Doesn't even really need another thread, it's quite straightforward: Call or email Tesla sales saying that you're an existing customer looking to upgrade. They (the ownership loyalty department) will work with you over phone or email to give you a trade-in estimate via remote telemetry (e.g. they know your options and mileage).

This isn't my first trade-in rodeo, so I cross-checked the price against every other service in my area that offers trade-in-like services (e.g. CarMax types of places, and a few startups), could not get a better price from anyone else.

I worked with my ownership loyalty rep for around 3 months to find the perfect time to do the trade-in. And sometimes it's just a weekly "how's the trade in value today" poke. He was super friendly and zero-pressure throughout the whole process!

(Honestly, if you want to go through the hassle of private party sale, you might be able to get between 5-10% more bang for the buck. But there's a nice convenience to the whole Tesla trade-in process: Take a few photos and drop your keys off on delivery day, they deal with paying off your loan and getting your title, etc. Not having to interface with the bank and DMV and a stranger is a really nice perk)

Yes, according to the geniuses on this thread that's exactly what Samsung should have done lol.

I guess why this is so visible is that Tesla is really fairly aggressive on using price as a quarterly demand lever, since they have decided against discounts and traditional/local price-related marketing. So what they do is rather aggressively change and time their global pricing as a demand lever within each quarter.

It is quite different from how Samsung prices their televisions - or even how e.g. Audi prices their cars. Tesla very much optimizes the price changes to work for the quarterly delivery dynamic. Every change is made so that it maximizes the people taking delivery within that quarter, all other considerations be damned.

Tesla is of course perfectly within their rights to change the prices for new orders, but this adds a bit to the perpetual Osborne effect of buying a Tesla. Since changes like these are a quarterly fact, and a car buying process often lasts longer than a quarter, there is a risk you'll get disappointed.

Sometimes the changes of course also work in your favour, but such constant changes, it is a rather risky purchase, a Tesla that is.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd
People might disagree but it seems like Tesla no longer cares about existing customers and only cares about bringing in new customers at this point. As a 90D owner after I picked up my 90D they shortly introduced the 100D at $3000 more which basically killed the demand for the 90D and now they dropped the price another $2k.
I don't understand your issue. You willingly paid the price Tesla was asking, clearly at the time you bought the car you made a fair bargain which you agreed with. What Tesla does subsequent to your purchase does not change the product you received in any way. If you are so wealthy that a Model S can be treated like an iPhone, well, then upgrade and keep upgrading every quarter or every year. Time does not stand still the moment you buy your Tesla out of sense of obligation to your resale value.

It's been said here many times, but Tesla continuously improves its products and announces changes when they are ready - not according to a pre-conceived, artificial schedule. Tesla's way is best, you just need to find an appropriate coping mechanism. I have one: Stop caring about your resale value! lol

People might disagree but it seems like Tesla no longer cares about existing customers and only cares about bringing in new customers at this point. As a 90D owner after I picked up my 90D they shortly introduced the 100D at $3000 more which basically killed the demand for the 90D and now they dropped the price another $2k.
If Tesla is spending one millisecond worrying about resale value of old cars that's a millisecond wasted. How anyone can say that the
only automaker on Earth doing (free!) OtA upgrades "no longer cares about existing customers" is just completely beyond me.

Reactions: roguenode and EinSV
Yes, This is what I am expecting that the 90D will disappear as soon as they run out of stocked batteries.

Yep... they dropped the price on the 90 to clear them out. And they bumped the price on the 100 to try to kick a few 100 fence-sitters over the edge into an order.

My spidey sense is tingling again. I think we're going to see some significant changes to the 100 series very shortly.

Tesla's way is best, you just need to find an appropriate coping mechanism. I have one: Stop caring about your resale value! lol

Actually, it can easily be argued Tesla's way is not the best for the customer. Constant quarterly changes on a long delivery-time product makes it much harder to find a good coping mechanism. If Tesla upgraded their products and pricelists to a known or at least a less frequent schedule, coping would be much easier.

For Tesla the price and feature-lists are constant quarterly demand levers and that may be great for Tesla, but not necessarily for the customers. It is also questionable whether or not this is the best way for Tesla in the long-term, for example if the constant changes cause a perpetual Osborne effect with some people always waiting for the next quarter...

I If you are so wealthy that a Model S can be treated like an iPhone, well, then upgrade and keep upgrading every quarter or every year.

iPhone is not upgraded every quarter.

If Tesla was upgraded like iPhone, basically once a year for the high-end model, buying one would be easy from Osborning perspective.

There is zero risk that you will wind up with a car that is not awesome. :)

Yes, but buying a Tesla is risky from the perspective that many things can and very likely will change even before you take delivery.

I can not believe how many things changed between the time I ordered my Model X and finally took delivery. The end-result is not bad, with just one order change mid-stream, I did finally get AP2, ventilated seats, free Supercharging and the old P100D price. But the lottery could easily have gone much worse, especially for us international customers where an order to delivery can easily take two quarters or even more...

Buying a Tesla is a much more stressful excerise than buying, say, an Audi where I've learned their twice a year change schedule down to the factory week... never fails. With Tesla we have seen product changes as well as pricing changes many times within one quarter.