TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

90D features

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by MattXowner, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

anyone get a 90d no premium yet? Curious if you have the automatic spoiler? Heard it was being included on pre-orders, but an add-on option for regular orders.

Any truth to that? Please reply if you received 90D.

2. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

My 90D non-premium has an active spoiler. I can't speak to the pre-order vs. current order question.

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Looking at the current Design Studio the active spoiler states it's only available on the P models which has been the case from the start.

But it's a clickable option and does not change the price!:confused:

But I would not put to much into the clickable part as it's the same for the red brake calipers. IMHO both are just bad UI programming.

I think the jury is still out on what happens with the spoiler on non performance cars.

4. loganintx

loganintx Member

It changes the price for me.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

OK. Either I missed it or it did not work this way when I looked before. It now shows up on the regular D and does have a cost because if you click on it, it configures your car as a P!

I tried this on the P and of course it makes no difference there.

6. Diavel

Diavel Member

I think the bigger question is where did you hear about the pre-orders getting it? It's certainly not an add-on.

I really want this. More than most of the options listed. I probably would be paid $1500 for it as I like gadgets.

7. grommet

grommet Member

There are existing threads on this.

Non-P cars aren't supposed to get the "Active Spoiler" -- as seen in the design studio -- but so far... every 90D delivered has it. This may change in the future; the factory is a giant black box.

8. Diavel

Diavel Member

I know about this. Was under the assumption that the parts weren't in our something to that nature. Just reached verification on the pre-orders getting the spoilers.

9. johnc11050

johnc11050 Member

Sorry but what is a pre-order vs. regular order? I expect our X in June now (was April/May) but have had order for 2 years or more. I heard at Tesla store here in NY that all 90Ds are now fixed spoilers but ....who knows?

10. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

By pre-order, I think he means people who ordered the cars before the design studio was opened up to the public in April.

11. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

Yes, when I configured my car it was not an option. Reserved 2/2015, ordered and configured 1/11/16. No options available for active, no 72 amp charger. Those options/prices have only showed up since they launched configuration tool for new orders.

Heard it was being included on all 90Ds along with biomes-on air filter. Should get mine in the next 4-6 weeks. Longer I wait - better quality, but I'm also thinking less of a chance to get some of these upgrades.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The active spoiler has always been tied to the Performance upgrade package and still is it's just that (so far) it seems that all regular 90D's have been getting it as well.

The high amp charger has always been available as well but it was likely hidden behind the "charger" easter egg when you ordered. If you were on the forums at all when you ordered I honestly don't know you missed it as there were quite a few threads about it.

13. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

Wasn't on these forums until about 3 weeks ago. Oops.

14. pchan

pchan Member

It is my understanding that ALL X have a spoiler that moves because the third brake light is 'hiding' in the spoiler. Active spoiler, however, refers to the spoiler that changes height/angle according to different speed which is only available to P version ... It is just another software limited option. All the hardwares are probably the same for P/non-P ... Obviously and as usual, 'my understanding' means nothing.

• Helpful x 1
  15. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

This is how it's being sold to us by Tesla. However, so far it seems as though all 90D's are also getting the "active" part with their spoilers and a few have been told that it is due to streamlining the manufacturing process.

It has been postulated that because these are software controlled the active part might disappear in a future update. Which makes no sense to me as the active part is an aerodynamic enhancement that increases the range ever so slightly (by reducing drag) and should be included on the model with the most range.

• Helpful x 1
  16. indy360

indy360 Member

I have the 90D and can verify that the angle of the spoiler changes with speed and retracts fully when parked and locked.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. CaliX

CaliX Member

My 90D is only active as far as it goes up, down and over 45mph it dips. So it has 3 positions. Would be interesting for someone with a P90D to post how many active positions they have. My hunch is theirs probably has many positions for speeds over 45mph.

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Nope. This is as active as it gets so far. Even for the P90D.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

I think standard on the 90D is a fixed spoiler stuck in the up position. Saw one parked powered off today in that position. According to threads many 90d recipients have been getting active spoilers that go up and down, but that's not standard. Hoping I get an active on mine (DS confirmed it entered production today), but I'm not holding my breath.

Would love to see some "extra" features. Reserved mine 2/2015, confirmed in Jan/2016 and new orders are supposingly being filled by June. Seems like there wasn't much value for me in the pre-order.

20. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I bet that car was just not locked, so the spoiler was in the up position. The spoiler doesn't fully retract unless the car is parked and locked. I accidentally switched my X to turn off the walk away lock and didnt lock the car. When I came back to it, the spoiler was still up. If I have walk away lock turned on. Then it usually retracts within 15 seconds of walking away.