Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D gone. A new MS will be 75, 75D, 100D, or P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

computerchuck

Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2017
Utah
Just noticed on the website tonight that ordering a new MS with a 90 kWh battery is no longer an option. I'm sure someone has probably already started a thread on this. Tried a few pages, didn't see anything. Just good info to know.

I was looking at a 90D eariler this month. Maybe they have lowered the price a little on the 100D since then??

Good times. Cant wait for the 120D. :)

Attachments

• no 90.PNG
    no 90.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 70
Just noticed on the website tonight that ordering a new MS with a 90 kWh battery is no longer an option. I'm sure someone has probably already started a thread on this. Tried a few pages, didn't see anything. Just good info to know.

I was looking at a 90D eariler this month. Maybe they have lowered the price a little on the 100D since then??

Good times. Cant wait for the 120D. :)

It's been awhile. You are like 6 days late. :D

It might be buried 15 pages ago because 6 days is lots of new threads. :)

But good reminder for those who haven't kept Tesla news.

There still such a huge price gap between 75 and 100. I wonder why they got rid of the 90. I would think they should get rid of the 75, since the Model 3 will take up to the 75 spot and keep 90 and 100.
Maybe the first Model 3's will not come with the new battery tech, so Tesla is saving some cells for M3 production by reducing the demand for cells in MS and MX (more people will order 75 now than before). 75D today has a similar range to 85 in the past (75D has a higher rated range than P85D), which is quite sufficient for most people.

Maybe the first Model 3's will not come with the new battery tech, so Tesla is saving some cells for M3 production by reducing the demand for cells in MS and MX (more people will order 75 now than before). 75D today has a similar range to 85 in the past (75D has a higher rated range than P85D), which is quite sufficient for most people.
That's a scary thought. No way I would get a model 3 without 2170 cells

That's a scary thought. No way I would get a model 3 without 2170 cells
Why not? It's a proven technology that Tesla has been selling for a while. Your sig says you got an X and S, none of which have the 2170's, are they not working well for you?

PS) I doubt Tesla will have a problem selling M3's at first, even if some people decide to hold out for newer batteries, awd, or a functional FSD.

Why not? It's a proven technology that Tesla has been selling for a while. Your sig says you got an X and S, none of which have the 2170's, are they not working well for you?

PS) I doubt Tesla will have a problem selling M3's at first, even if some people decide to hold out for newer batteries, awd, or a functional FSD.
I have both, cool cars but i just can't stop thinking version 3 supercharging will be tied to the new cells.

I just have this vision of how model 3's will be in a few years, to have one with the old cells would be a deal breaker for me.

I'm willing to forego dual motors for the first incarnation of model 3 but would wait for the new tech in battery cells if the early ones had the legacy cells.

I have both, cool cars but i just can't stop thinking version 3 supercharging will be tied to the new cells.

I just have this vision of how model 3's will be in a few years, to have one with the old cells would be a deal breaker for me.

I'm willing to forego dual motors for the first incarnation of model 3 but would wait for the new tech in battery cells if the early ones had the legacy cells.
What data are you basing the "2170 batteries will charge faster" assumption on?

What data are you basing the "2170 batteries will charge faster" assumption on?
Just a hunch for sure - by no means anything solid

Tesla is making the 2170 cells though - Panasonic made the first batch

I think your earlier point is right on - even if the early model 3's were sold with the existing battery tech they would still sell like hot cakes

I would just not be a part of it

??? 75D Model S has a higher range than P85D? Isn't 75D max is 240-250? Where as the P85D is around 280?

My P90D has a range of 253 miles. The 75D is rated for 259 miles.
That's at 90% or something?

The new 90D was listed by Tesla at 294 miles of range, versus the old 270-mile EPA rating (which was actually based on the 85 kWh car – the 90 kWh version was not originally re-tested/certified for greater range via increased battery capacity) and Tesla’s previous 288-mile estimate.

Meanwhile, the P90D version of the refreshed Model S was listed at 270 miles, versus the old 253-mile EPA rating, which was consistent with Tesla’s own earlier estimate
Official EPA Ratings For Refreshed Tesla Model S - 90D Range Is 303.2 Miles Highway

??? 75D Model S has a higher range than P85D? Isn't 75D max is 240-250? Where as the P85D is around 280?

No, see below (screencap from Design Studio). Now, while 75D actually has a 75KWh battery, of which just under 72 is usable, P85D battery size claim of 85KWh is just as false as the 691hp. I'm sure Tesla defenders will tell me that the battery casing is capable of holding an 85KWh battery, but the one that Tesla actually shipped in the cars is only 81KWh of which 77 is usable - just like the motors may be capable of 691hp but we'll never know because the battery and the wiring in a P85D limits it at 463hp (Tesla used that excuse about a year later after it got really impossible to hide that a car is missing 228hp). Yea, Tesla plays fast and loose with their top end product marketing - it's not just Elon's deadlines they fudge on, it's also the top end specs. The low end products are great though, if you purchased a 60D you actually got a 75KWh battery of which 62 was usable, and if you didn't get EAP or FSD, you got mostly everything they advertised, except maybe for the automatic wipers and few safety features still in development like blind spot warnings.

75d_vs_p85d.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
No, see below (screencap from Design Studio). Now, while 75D actually has a 75KWh battery, of which just under 72 is usable, P85D battery size claim of 85KWh is just as false as the 691hp. I'm sure Tesla defenders will tell me that the battery casing is capable of holding an 85KWh battery, but the one that Tesla actually shipped in the cars is only 81KWh of which 77 is usable - just like the motors may be capable of 691hp but we'll never know because the battery and the wiring in a P85D limits it at 463hp (Tesla used that excuse about a year later after it got really impossible to hide that a car is missing 228hp). Yea, Tesla plays fast and loose with their top end product marketing - it's not just Elon's deadlines they fudge on, it's also the top end specs. The low end products are great though, if you purchased a 60D you actually got a 75KWh battery of which 62 was usable, and if you didn't get EAP or FSD, you got mostly everything they advertised, except maybe for the automatic wipers and few safety features still in development like blind spot warnings.

View attachment 231522

Yea but a 85D had 270 miles of range. Putting another motor in adds to the horsepower and subtracts from range by almost 10%. I'm very happy with my 85D. Almost 40K miles and only 2 miles of range loss at 100 and 90% charge. Plus it it still faster than any every day driver with the exception of PXxxDs.

There still such a huge price gap between 75 and 100. I wonder why they got rid of the 90. I would think they should get rid of the 75, since the Model 3 will take up to the 75 spot and keep 90 and 100.

They got rid of the 90 to make room for the new 85 which will replace the current 75.

They may yet do that, and replace with a 100 locked to 80, or some such thing.

Tesla has always had a large and small pack battery. The large has 16 modules and the small 14. The original 60 had fewer cells per module, but Tesla standardized the module when they had the 90 and 75. Both cars had an equal number of cells per module.

Tesla dropped the 90 which is based on the old module they are discontinuing. After the clear out most of the inventory 90s sitting around, they will introduce a new 85 or 90 (it will actually be an 88 KWH pack) using the same module as the 100 KWH. It saves them money to use one module. The new 85 or 90 will not be software limited, they only did that to the 75s to try and get some Model 3 people to bite on an S. The people on the waiting list who were going to bite for a small pack Model S did and they dropped it from their line up as soon as sales started dropping.

A software limited battery is lost money to Tesla unless the buyer upgrades someday. A lot of the software limited 60s buyers didn't upgrade until they offered the incentive by slashing the price. Tesla probably barely broke even on the software limited 60s.

That's the highway range only. The normal, combined range is rated at 294. It varies a bit car to car though. Mine rates itself at 298.