Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D has a more dense battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading through the owner's manual and noticed the 85D and 90D are both exactly the same weight! Is it because the 90D battery is more dense and they can give out 5 extra KW with same weight?

If 85 is heavier than 70, it stands to reason the 90 should be proportionally heavier than 85 but this isn't the case here.

Am I missing something?

I was wondering the same thing about weight. I would have expected the car to be slightly heavier also.

I also have found that my P 90 D gets EXACTLY the same number (265) rated miles as my 2014 standard "85" got. I was told that the "P" in my new car is what lowers the rated miles and a normal 85 DOES get the same as a P 90 D. So I guess the new "90" probably gets the most rated miles.

The 90kWh pack has a slightly different chemical makeup. More graphite, which allows it to hold more energy for the same weight.

This is called 'gravimetric energy density'. The 90 kWh pack has a higher capacity to store energy for a given weight, measured in Watt-hours (energy) per kg (mass).

• Informative
Reactions: Safari