Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for responding and I look forward to hearing your report, and will post my report tomorrow after the service center visit. As clarification for others, the sound I am referring to is like a high-pitched dog whistle at 24-26 and 48-52 mph. It is not the motor starting sound that is like a subway car starting up which is pleasant and acceptable.

Had our front motor replaced on our MS at 12,000 miles for this. The noise is back and louder than ever at 28,000 miles. I've just had to accept that Tesla failed to adequately isolate the front motor noise on the MS. I did not notice it during the 3 days we had an MX on a test drive (about 900 miles). Hope you can get yours fixed by replacing the front DU. This topic has been pretty quiet during the last 9 months. I wonder what changed on the assembly line as the MS & MX have the same motors.

so the replaced DU in your car was quiet for 16,000 miles, from 12-28k? It may be that there is something with the refreshed 90D and the revised frunk configuration that amplifies the sound. I had a non-refreshed P85D loaner for a day and I did not notice the noise in that car.

Picked up my P90D in March. There has always been a faint whine around 50mph. Hasn't gotten worse or better. I believe it is a harmonic, and perhaps contrary to general opinions, I kind of like it :) It reminds me I'm driving electric, with motors that have just two moving parts.

Good news, I think. I picked up the car Friday and briefly spoke to the lead service tech who had worked on this. They did hear what I heard and discussed this with Tesla engineering. They took another ride and made sound recordings for Tesla review. According to the factory the sound appears completely normal, and he reminded me of their warranty covering something that might show up later, SoI felt a little better, but didn't expect the whine to be different. Well, I booted by trusty iPhone APP "AudioTools" (a great product btw). I worked with the real time acoustic analyzer, asking my wife to look for sensitive points as I drove and varied speed, air conditioning and audio off of course. That was not entirely successful because she had no experience with my geek tool. But there was something noticed over 1000 HZ repeatedly at at 47 mph, either flat or uphill load. So we switched to a signal generator where we could tweek the frequency to try and match the sound we were hearing, as we drove. Around 1600 HZ seemed the best we could tell. Now since that is smack dab in key human hearing range for speech, its pretty important it be dampened. My wife and I both agreed that the whine was definitely quieter; and had more of a peak at 47 versus about the same 40-50 mph. I'd estimate that whine level was nearly equal to just driving wind noise now.

Checking the software, they had installed 2.32.100 and as projected by a member here an improvement, although his firmware change was a little earlier than this new one. So either the recording reviewed by Fremont was done after the update, or they didn't mention part of the recent firmware releases had to do with this very whine. Whatever.

Frankly, at this stage, I feel the whine is entirely acceptable because of the low amplitude now, and I'm happy about the improvement.
Back to enjoying my MX90D !!

Thank you somebody.
:)

Reactions: goneskiian
Hopefully good news. So far, not on my end. Took my refreshed S90D in to SC on Saturday. Tech also heard the noise which I characterize as a high pitched dog whistle or dentist drill sound. Tech said it was within the range of the variation of sounds that the motors make as each motor is unique. I took the opportunity to drive a non-refreshed P-90D. Neither this vehicle, a loaner P-90D I drove last week, nor any vehicle I test drove before making our acquisition decision had the noise. Our car was updated to 2.34.100 at the SC and this did not have a mitigating effect on the noise. So it is possible that the defect is in refreshed S90D's only, or is specific to my car. We will hear what the Service Manager and/or Fremont say with respect to potential remedies, but without a solution, the problem is severe enough for me to return the car and have the lease paid off per the Happiness Guarantee. Not happy about this since we will still be out many thousands of dollars for down payment/window tint/clear bra/opticoat etc.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but turning off Range Mode makes this whine almost entirely go away. With Range mode on it is only heard around 30mph. This is true in my P90D. Might be different in the 90D