Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D ordered, now rumors of 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or... since the 90D was announced in July (?), and it took them 8 months to get to the 100D, it'll take them 6 months to get to the 110D, right? ;) And then another 4 months to get to the 120D, etc.

Actually it will take end of the year to get them 100D rolling..(in my wildest guess):eek:

110D will take 2 years from today (again my wildest guess)

I thought 110 kWh is the maximum capacity that can be achieved is that right? :smile:

Actually it will take end of the year to get them 100D rolling..(in my wildest guess):eek:

I thought 110 kWh is the maximum capacity that can be achieved is that right? :smile:

I'm being completely unrealistic with my estimates, but I was just trying to make a point. If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never have a car, or a phone, or etc.

I agree. Even if they announced it on the 31st it will take months to get it rolling. Its not worth the wait unless you are in no hurry and have until the end of the year.

Does anybody else think that the "90" could be a software limited 100? Seems a little strange to me that the 90 even came out if a 100 is coming within the foreseeable future. Maybe they are just being conservative with the new packs, getting some data, and will raise them to 100 if/when Tesla is satisfied with the specs.

It's amazing to me how many people don't see the obvious signs. Maybe you guys aren't paying attention.

Price increase in April, confirmed by several DSs
P100D has been in the firmware for months, last update just added the badges
Big Model 3 unveiling March 31st
Lease incentives ending end of March

---

There is clearly something coming early/mid April.

Yes, the car will always get updated, but it would wise to wait until end of April to see what is coming - there is definitely something there.

Is it really worth it, in the end? I bought an 85D, even though the 90D was an option, because I felt that the small amount of range wasn't worth the extra money, and wouldn't make a difference in my usage case. So you should consider whether you would get a 100D even if it's available.

Is it really worth it, in the end? I bought an 85D, even though the 90D was an option, because I felt that the small amount of range wasn't worth the extra money, and wouldn't make a difference in my usage case. So you should consider whether you would get a 100D even if it's available.

Same here. I did not go with the 90 because I didn't want to pay the extra cost and felt the 85D range was good enough. If it were 85D vs 100D, I still wouldn't have chosen the bigger battery. However, I believe for the folks buying MX, the 100D option probably makes more sense. The folks wanting to tow are going to want the biggest battery possible.

There is a potential to see 100 kWh by mid-year this year. This brings a new car feature out that helps people want to upgrade from an older S85 RWD to a 100 kWh Dual drive especially if the 100 kWh is there when the first wave of 3-year leases come up due which is mid 2016.

It's amazing to me how many people don't see the obvious signs. Maybe you guys aren't paying attention.

---

Yes, the car will always get updated, but it would wise to wait until end of April to see what is coming - there is definitely something there.
More fuel to the fire:
Referral Program | Tesla Motors
Until April 15, 2016

- - - Updated - - -

You lose, the Model 3 will turn into the next gen roadster with a software update.
Haha. The day they convert a solid roof 4 door to a convertible 2 door via OTA software update is the day I've seen everything.

---

That make sense to me although I thought until recently that a refresh to S Model would happened this April or July eliminating the fake grill with a new front "a la Tesla X", LED headlights and some improvements in interior storage like the Tesla X one. After that, my guess was that a switch of battery packs with the 70 to 80 kWh and the 90 kWh going to 100 kWh would will come next July 2017. So maybe the 100 will come sooner and the 70 to 80 will come only some months before the III will be available (with the high end III available with a 70 kWh battery pack).

Good for you to make the leap into the present, because no one ever lands squarely in the future.

Great quote! Love it.

OP - I ordered the 85D last year (postponed delivery for a number of reasons). Now, I'm getting the 90D with the new wheels! Go with the flow . . .

I'm just tired of EVERYONE saying they are waiting for the Model 3 . . . I'll have had MS for close to 2 years by the time it comes out!

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. I did not go with the 90 because I didn't want to pay the extra cost and felt the 85D range was good enough. If it were 85D vs 100D, I still wouldn't have chosen the bigger battery. However, I believe for the folks buying MX, the 100D option probably makes more sense. The folks wanting to tow are going to want the biggest battery possible.

I ordered the 85 and then upgraded to the 90 to simply have the latest and greatest - AND that extra range, performance (don't forget), and slightly faster supercharging.

Again, the 85 has been phased out - so I didn't want to have a car that was no longer the "standard" - especially if it's brand new!

OP, you've gotten a pretty good assortment of opinions on this topic. I'll toss in my thoughts...worth what you paid for them, and some of them are repeats of what other people have posted upthread.

I drive a Model S 85D produced in April 2015. Less than a year later, that configuration is no longer being made (as we all know the high-end battery is now in the 90D/P90D). Does that bother me? Not really. My car is still a freaking awesome car, and it still does everything (more actually) that I expected when I took delivery.

We've known for months that battery capacities would be going up, and the discovery last week of an upcoming 100 kWh is just a little more evidence. What's missing is when, how much it'll cost, and what's the real-world difference in range and performance. You could wait for months for that new battery configuration, which might in the end may not even make a lot of difference for your usage, or be driving a 90D (relatively) soon.

Something that we often lose sight of here on TMC is that really all of these Model Ss, regardless of age, "P"-ness, or battery size, are all pretty great cars, and in many ways they're more alike than different.

Welcome to TMC, looking forward to hearing about your delivery and initial impressions.

And then wait for the 110D and then wait for the 120D and then wait for the 130D, etc. etc. etc. and when you die you can regret not getting the 90D sooner.

Yes and no. It depends on what you need. For me, my P85D doesn't quite do what I need in all situations. A 100 would make 75% of my "missions", for which I now use an ICE, go away.

- - - Updated - - -

Get the 100D. Tell your DS to delay production. You'll always wish you had more range.

Yes and no. It depends on what you need. For me, my P85D doesn't quite do what I need in all situations. A 100 would make 75% of my "missions", for which I now use an ICE, go away. But I'm in a particularly bad location without many superchargers.

A 100 only has 15-20% more range. That's not earth shattering by any means. If you've got superchargers on all your usual routes, I can't see the 85/100 differential being particularly significant.

I thank everyone for their replies. It generated a great deal of thought on my part. In the end, I got the email I've been waiting on today, telling me that our 90D has entered production. In the mean time, I found out my 25 year-old home needs an entirely new electrical panel, not because we don't have enough power, as a 200 amp service should be sufficient, but that my current panel is not up to current code. I'm happy for the excuse to bring everything up to code, and I found out my electrician has already wired garages for Teslas; his brother in law was an early adopter and he installed his charging circuit. He told me that a 50 amp circuit should be fine for my charging needs. I struggled over delaying my order for the 100D at some point, but I just decided to take a leap and jump on the merry-go-round instead of waiting on it to stop, as it doesn't look like it is slowing down anytime soon.

I thank everyone for their replies. It generated a great deal of thought on my part. In the end, I got the email I've been waiting on today, telling me that our 90D has entered production. In the mean time, I found out my 25 year-old home needs an entirely new electrical panel, not because we don't have enough power, as a 200 amp service should be sufficient, but that my current panel is not up to current code. I'm happy for the excuse to bring everything up to code, and I found out my electrician has already wired garages for Teslas; his brother in law was an early adopter and he installed his charging circuit. He told me that a 50 amp circuit should be fine for my charging needs. I struggled over delaying my order for the 100D at some point, but I just decided to take a leap and jump on the merry-go-round instead of waiting on it to stop, as it doesn't look like it is slowing down anytime soon.

You want to be careful here. I was told that my electrical panel was too old and that you couldn't even get the model breakers that it had any more. So I had a new box installed. Come to find out I was ripped off by an unethical electrician - the DO make my old breakers and I did NOT need the new panel. Wasted money. Moral of the story - get a second and third opinion before you spend thousands replacing a breaker box that is perfectly serviceable.

You want to be careful here. I was told that my electrical panel was too old and that you couldn't even get the model breakers that it had any more. So I had a new box installed. Come to find out I was ripped off by an unethical electrician - the DO make my old breakers and I did NOT need the new panel. Wasted money. Moral of the story - get a second and third opinion before you spend thousands replacing a breaker box that is perfectly serviceable.

Good advice, but many panels are outdated and unsafe. Zinsco, in particular.

First post. I just ordered a 90D about 10 days ago. We don't have a service center in my state, so we took a drive to TN and fell in love. My new ride isn't in production yet, as far as I can tell, and I'm already feeling a bit of buyers remorse as I hear of a 100D upgrade. I told people that my buying experience was like buying a computer, and I had no idea how right I was. Since my order was finalized, there has been a new base wheel introduced (I went for the cyclone $2500 wheels), and now I see discussion of a 100D battery pack. I always hated that with computers....as soon as I bought one, the 286 became a 386 became a 486 with more memory, etc.... I know I'm dating myself, but I figure it's just time to jump on the roller coaster and see what comes next. I'm pretty far outside my comfort zone, as my daily ride now is an F250 diesel, but there's no time like the present. I'm excited about the prospects.

I wouldn't worry about the rumor P100, first off it's not out yet. Second if you keep waiting you will never drive it, there's always little things they improve.