Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D ordered, now rumors of 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post. I just ordered a 90D about 10 days ago. We don't have a service center in my state, so we took a drive to TN and fell in love. My new ride isn't in production yet, as far as I can tell, and I'm already feeling a bit of buyers remorse as I hear of a 100D upgrade. I told people that my buying experience was like buying a computer, and I had no idea how right I was. Since my order was finalized, there has been a new base wheel introduced (I went for the cyclone $2500 wheels), and now I see discussion of a 100D battery pack. I always hated that with computers....as soon as I bought one, the 286 became a 386 became a 486 with more memory, etc.... I know I'm dating myself, but I figure it's just time to jump on the roller coaster and see what comes next. I'm pretty far outside my comfort zone, as my daily ride now is an F250 diesel, but there's no time like the present. I'm excited about the prospects.

Welcome to the club. 90D is a fantastic car that you won't regret, because you can have it today (well, pretty soon anyway)! In a couple of years maybe you'll start to look at all the goodies of the new model S, 3 or X but everything will feel incremental at this point. Getting to electric with a Tesla now is basically like having your first computer, that's the jump you'll remember.

Last edited:
It takes a lot of people buying 286s for there to even be a 386.
And a lot more people to buy a 386 for there to be a 486.
Yes, I remember them all...

After they are out for a while, eventually the folks who do get the 100D will be looking around the corner, and oh my, there will be a 110D, and then a 120D.
et cetera...

You will be getting an incredible piece of technology in the 90D.
And it will be a great vehicle for you.
Good for you to make the leap into the present, because no one ever lands squarely in the future.
At least not for long.

After they are out for a while, eventually the folks who do get the 100D will be looking around the corner, and oh my, there will be a 110D, and then a 120D.
et cetera...

Good for you to make the leap into the present, because no one ever lands squarely in the future.
At least not for long.

+1

Here's how I do it:

1. Does the one available to order NOW have what I want at a price I agree with? YES: GO TO STEP 4.
2. WAIT
3. GOTO 1
4. BUY
5. ENJOY
6. WHEN IT WEARS OUT OR BECOMES BENEFICIAL, GOTO 1

meh, i took delivery of a P90D little more than a week ago. and now news of a P100D, you know what? i dont care at all. the car is amazing and way more capable than i was expecting. i would rather live today than always tomorrow!

Last edited:
My greatest angst is over the 90D vs P90D vs P90D. I'm looking for the spot where the planets are in alignment and all is in harmony. I live on the edge of a SC desert so the extra range is a factor, but I've spent the last few weeks second and third and fourth guessing myself. I decided on a 90D with all the options, except for 3rd row seating, but I still don't know if it is the correct decision. In the end, it will have to be the correct one for me.

And a lot of pc and AT's (8086) before that (& ugh pcjr)

et cetera...

At least not for long.

First post. I just ordered a 90D about 10 days ago. We don't have a service center in my state, so we took a drive to TN and fell in love. My new ride isn't in production yet, as far as I can tell, and I'm already feeling a bit of buyers remorse as I hear of a 100D upgrade. I told people that my buying experience was like buying a computer, and I had no idea how right I was. Since my order was finalized, there has been a new base wheel introduced (I went for the cyclone $2500 wheels), and now I see discussion of a 100D battery pack. I always hated that with computers....as soon as I bought one, the 286 became a 386 became a 486 with more memory, etc.... I know I'm dating myself, but I figure it's just time to jump on the roller coaster and see what comes next. I'm pretty far outside my comfort zone, as my daily ride now is an F250 diesel, but there's no time like the present. I'm excited about the prospects.

Get the 100D. Tell your DS to delay production. You'll always wish you had more range.

I'd just roll with it for now. If something gets announced that interests you see what you can do to change your order. Realistically you aren't really out any money if you just refuse to take delivery. The fact that you paid for cyclones and would get the new wheels free on any new order kind of makes things a push. My bet is that you find that you want the 90D but just wait and see knowing that worst case you are out $2500 that you can sort of recover anyway.

Get the 100D. Tell your DS to delay production. You'll always wish you had more range.

Agreed...if OP is not in a hurry then it is better to get 100D

- - - Updated - - -

And then wait for the 110D and then wait for the 120D and then wait for the 130D, etc. etc. etc. and when you die you can regret not getting the 90D sooner.

I disagree. Looks like 100D might be right around the corner...if OP is not in a hurry then why not...110D might take 2 more years...who knows

I disagree. Looks like 100D might be right around the corner...if OP is not in a hurry then why not...110D might take 2 more years...who knows

There is no evidence for when the 100D is coming soon. It could be coming on 3/31 or it could be still a year out. The only evidence is that there will be a 100D, and that should have been obvious as soon as they announced the 90D.

There is however direct evidence that a price increase is coming and soon. I would keep the 90D order and be happy with it.

Or... since the 90D was announced in July (?), and it took them 8 months to get to the 100D, it'll take them 6 months to get to the 110D, right? ;) And then another 4 months to get to the 120D, etc.

Precisely why I chose to lease my P90D. We are buying a car that's heavy in tech, and the improvements will continue to come. Anyone still have their iphone 5? It's pretty remarkable until you pick up a 6. The 7 is coming... As humans, we're so adaptive, and will always want the newest, best, etc., but we should enjoy what we have. I take delivery of my P90D this week, and can't wait. When my lease is up, I'll get the P200D with nutso insane ludacris hyder drive (and cooled seats). I can't wait. All that said, if buying one now will make one crazy, I'd buy a 2 year old ICE BMW/Benz/Porsche, and know they're not going to innovate as much.

The analogy to buying a computer is right on. The car is a computer network on wheels. Want to know what would really make you never buy a car? If you could see the list of things Tesla is working on for the next several years - there will be all kinds of things - more range, more capable autopilot, more acceleration(as if this was needed), cooler wheels, cooler accessories, fancier interior, remote GPS tracking, etc etc.

What we do in IT to deal with this continuous improvement cycle (alternatively called "planned obsolescence") is to plan a "refresh cycle." Just plan up front that you will trade in the car every x years, and the new one will contain all the cool new stuff. In the meantime, you make good use & enjoyment of where you put your stake in the ground.

We know there's a 100D. We don't know when it's coming. They could announce it next week. It could be six months from now. You could be waiting a long time.

Last edited:
And we don't know if the announcement will include a price increase... I would just get it and enjoy it. Of course, I'm happy with my limited edition, classic P85 that doesn't have an ounce of autopilot (and so far, I've been able to channel all my AP enthusiasm into that 2018 Model 3 that I plan to reserve at the end of this month).