TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

90D range mod

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Seawind300, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Seawind300

Seawind300 Member

Hi, just a quick question. What front/nose is more aerodynamic on the 90D?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

The new one.

You can eek out an extra 1200 feet or so distance on a full charge.

Once you get your old nose cone converted to new nose style, and then bump it on a barrier straight ahead of you... you'll wish you had the old nose cone style back... less to repair. And a new cone is DIY... stay out of the body shop. Is there a certified shop in Newfoundland?

3. Seawind300

Seawind300 Member

Is there a certified shop in Newfoundland?[/QUOTE]

I'm not aware of any certified shops here for the Tesla. :) I'm looking at a few 90D's and there are two different styles of the nose, one has a black/smoked "grill" and the other looks to be a body colored full bumper piece. Which one is the "range" upgrade?

Thanks, Mike

4. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Member

The top image is the newer "refreshed" frontend while the lower image is the older nosecone style

[​IMG]

5. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

(Can I post to this thread if I'm not Canadian?)

Just so you understand, the different nose style is not an "upgrade" in the sense of an option you can add to a car. The Model S originally had the black nosecone-style front, and last year changed to a body-color, non-nosecone front end as part of a minor refresh (there are some other external differences as well). The refresh cars have a marginal amount more range, most people (including myself) assume it's from better aerodynamics but I haven't seen anything official to back that statement up.

Bruce.

6. Seawind300

Seawind300 Member

Thanks so much for the replys, helps out alot.

Mike

7. St Charles

St Charles Member

Someone on this site recently swapped the old style bumper to the newer style. The process was much more involved than anyone expected.