Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I have something similar, but my serial number seems to indicate it is newer. Weird that I have yet to see anything above 260 miles at 90%. But i have yet to do a 100% charge. I hope I have the newer battery that can do the 294 EPA. Sure 8 miles is not much, but I also hear the supercharging is slower on the old 90D pack.

Thanks for the picture.

The other interesting thing I noticed is that as I traveled to warmer weather, my 90% and 100% have increased. My 100% dropped to as low as 283 but has risen as high as 289 while in warmer weather. If I had 294 when I first started, that should mean I have the newer battery pack.

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 5.09.55 AM.png

My historical detail and POV is upthread. My Net: At 20 months, 9K miles: My 90% has held up pretty well compared to some former S85Ds. OTOH, despite my no longer plugging-in every time I get home allowing my MS to perform 90% top-offs in over a year, and occasionally allowing the charge to drop under 20% to hopefully allow rebalancing to take place, my 100% has taken a significant and disproportional drop in the past year.

What was the advertised range for a new 90D on their website ? I am guessing it is less than 294? You need to calculate your loss from that number
If your comment was directed to me, in Fall 2015 the documented and advertised range for the "Range Upgrade Option" (which is what created a S90D from a S85D back in the day) was "6% more than an S85D", which came out to a little more than 16 miles when one did the math -- equating to 286 miles as I show in my chart. The number was restated at least once after that on the website, and Tesla has seemed to have tinkered with the algorithm a number of times in various firmware releases. More detail on all that upthread. ;)

Thank all BertL. I was actually replying to the post one earlier which was calculating loss with assuming 294 as the initial range.

Many new cars show more than advertised range on delivery but that settles down a bit in a few thousand miles. Loss should always be calculated from the stated range on their website - and you are doing it right

Yes we have experienced the same. On Oct 5 when the car was delivered, the car was charged to 90% and 263 miles. After delivery, it has steadily been declining. Today it was at 255 after charging to 90%. My husband spoke to our DS today and he said it was due to driving patterns. My husband has used the car mostly on the highway and somehow this is the reason why it has declined.

Mine X went down as well, but has slightly risen lately so my guess is that it is more about driving habits then anything else. Down about 7 miles of range and back up 2 miles in the last month or so. Net is down 5 miles with about 14k miles. Less then 2.5% is not bad for 14k Miles even if it is purely battery degradation.

...and for those that may not have caught up reading the upstream discussion in this long-standing thread:
Many of us believe Tesla changed the S90 battery chemistry and/or physically at least one point early-on. It's perhaps why there are at least two clusters of S90 owners with different baseline expectations of what our battery should deliver and how they are actually performing compared to more recent deliveries. Mine, for example is on the low-end of that as my S90D was built just shortly after the Range Upgrade option became available, and never met documented expectations even on day of delivery. That, combined with how reported charge expectations can vary with more extreme seasonal temps, if one is giving battery mgmt the opportunity to rebalance the pack, EPA assessment of the S90D happened several months after first delivery of the new battery, with subsequent restatement of Tesla's documented mileage expectation, and what appears as Tesla's constant tweaking of the various calculations and charge approximations available on-board and via API, makes this a difficult topic for owners to put our finger on. IMHO, Tesla model, date of manufacture, baseline 90% & 100% expectation, as well as actuals compared against similar times of the year begin to provide comparative data.​