Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use Ideal rather than Rated range for battery degradation. Tesla seems to mess less with that algorithm. Note that there can also be battery imbalance which will show less range. FWIW my S85 is at 95% at ~60k miles and 2 years 8 months. No idea how much of that is imbalance.

Im not sure this is effective. For my data at least, ideal meal have decreased an equivalent % compared to rated miles decrease.

My 90D is down to 250 rated miles after two months and 4,900 miles of use. Usually charge to 90% each night. I posted about my range dropping before and everyone said it's probably just the way the Model S calculates things, but it seems like I'm not the only 90D owner with this problem.

Yes we have experienced the same. On Oct 5 when the car was delivered, the car was charged to 90% and 263 miles. After delivery, it has steadily been declining. Today it was at 255 after charging to 90%. My husband spoke to our DS today and he said it was due to driving patterns. My husband has used the car mostly on the highway and somehow this is the reason why it has declined.

The service center explanation is nonsense. Rated range does not factor driving patterns. My SvC says the same thing, but it's totally untrue. I even tested it. I drove very efficiently for a couple of weeks and it did nothing to change my range calculation. I drove more aggressively for a few weeks and the same thing - no change.

The 90 kWh battery uses a different formulation with some silicon in the anode, I believe. This shrinks the size of the anode allowing an increase in the volume of energy-absorbing chemicals, thereby increasing range using the same number of cells. In the articles that I've read, degradation increases with a silicon anode and that has been one of the hurdles to adopting the technology. It was believed that Tesla found a way to overcome this hurdle. I hope the degradation being discussed here is not due to the new design.

Did you check if there was a constant slow leakage of electrons from the charge port??? I heard electrons though are very small, transparent, and without smell so might be really hard to catch!

I massage my pack like a Kobe beef cow (but I don't feed it saké). I expect it to go up in range over time :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

It seems normal IMHO... I don't get worried about a few miles / km's here or there.

We all know that the 'rated range' display is an estimate based on many factors. It is not a battery capacity equivalent. So using just this number to determine capacity loss is misleading. The only real test would be to drive from 100% down to 0 and see how many miles you can actually drive instead of what an algorithm predicts before you even started driving. What matters is how far we can go.

Example of degradation for a Panasonic 18650 cell.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1479&d=1300050759.jpg

I just checked again for the miles-to-go at 90%. First check less than a week ago, a few days in fact (then: 255). Now: 253. I guess I should sell it soon.

For Sale: new(ish) Model S. Battery clearly in distress. Tesla, I hardly knew thee.
Please search and read the posts here about battery range. The rated range display is an estimation based on algorithms that try to determine the state of charge of the cells. It's not very accurate and small changes mean nothing. Also in colder weather the range will be a little less. There is no reason to think there is anything wrong with your battery.

Please search and read the posts here about battery range. The rated range display is an estimation based on algorithms that try to determine the state of charge of the cells. It's not very accurate and small changes mean nothing. Also in colder weather the range will be a little less. There is no reason to think there is anything wrong with your battery.

Then how come it's always declining? If it's inaccurate shouldn't it vary up AND down?

Last edited:
I just checked again for the miles-to-go at 90%. First check less than a week ago, a few days in fact (then: 255). Now: 253. I guess I should sell it soon

253 at 90%?! Luxury! ;-)

We've changed our display to show battery % instead of rated range.

Rated is very hard to achieve in practice, so it makes just as much sense to use the navigation, and let it tell you how much % you will have at your destination. Or, if round trip, click on the destination address and it will show the round trip % remaining estimate.

We've gone thousands of km on road trips and supercharging has been perfect, try a long trip and see if you have any concerns going long distances between charges, the more you do it, the less you'll actually look at the # and just drive (and enjoy it).

Then how come it's always declining? If it's inaccurate shouldn't it vary up AND down?

Good question. It's complicated. A new battery will lose capacity the quickest. So some of it is the battery "settling" which will resolve itself in a few months. If it continues to drop at the same rate, something's wrong.

It also depends on how the pack is cycled. Plenty of evidence shows that charging to 60 or 70% daily will cause the range also to "lose sight of 100%" and it will err on the conservative side and underestimate capacity.

Day to day variations should not be large. In my experience, it is accurate to +- 1 rated mile.

I own 2 Teslas, MS 60 2013 early production and P85 delivered to its original owner the same day as my original MS 60, May 5 2013. The 60 originally charged 90% to 180. we charge it every night, as my wife drives 90 miles per day. Once a month or so, we charge it to 100% to balance the battery and it currently has 59k miles on it. Sometimes we get it up to 180 @ 90% but usually around 178. The P85 is 233 @90% and 255 at 100%. I am surprised at how little degradation is on the battery for as much use and driving we do. I hope this continues and we can keep our cars for many many years to come, maybe we will get over 150k or more and maybe 10 years of trouble free driving.