Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd settled down to 252 at 90% until recent "warm" (for the season here in Massachusetts) weather and it creeped up to 253 and then 254. With the cold snap over the past few days, it dropped back down to 252.
3,000 miles Range mode is off.

I received my S90D on September 23rd. My first 90% charge was 261 miles.
Since then my 90% range has also been declining.

Yesterday I hit a new low of 243 miles at 90%. That is a 7% loss of range in 5 months.
I have never turned range mode on.

Tesla Model S 90D Rated Range.png

Yesterday I hit a new low of 243 miles at 90%. That is a 7% loss of range in 5 months.

View attachment 111585

To put it a different way, you've lost virtually all of the 6% range increase you paid for by upgrading to the 90D from the 85D plus an additional 1%. I feel your pain; mine is 247 @ 90% but the SvC tells me it's not really lost. They say it's a software algorithm issue that will be corrected in an upcoming firmware update. Stay tuned.

I doubt you have actually "lost" range beyond the typical 1% in the first 6 months or so. It's a software estimation error issue that will likely be corrected in a future update.

So some have been told by Tesla. Until someone drives down to something low like 5% and reconciles remaining battery % with the wh / mile * miles driven, I don't think anyone will really know for sure.

There have been several updates since this was first postulated but no improvement in range indicated.

Silicon in the anode decreases cell life as the tradeoff for getting higher capacity. How did Tesla overcome this tradeoff?

The above chart shows a linear falloff over time. I seriously doubt it's suddenly going to level off. How much range must one lose before folks stop believing it's a calibration error? 10%? More?

The above chart shows a linear falloff over time. I seriously doubt it's suddenly going to level off. How much range must one lose before folks stop believing it's a calibration error? 10%? More?

2 more software releases, or when the range of a 90D falls more than 5% below that of an 85D purchased in the same month - and Tesla is forced to confront the issue (if it still exists).

There are a lot of things we don't know. Perhaps the 90D pack range loss will taper off and remain flatter than an 85 curve. Perhaps it is indeed a different cell type that isn't as good as it seems compared to the 85 kWh packs. Perhaps it's a measurement error and software will correct it.

Until someone's willing to bite the bullet and do the "drive until completely empty" test, you can't even start to separate "bad indicator" from "actually losing range".

FYI, my rated range has gone back up significantly as weather has gotten warmer in NorCal again.
I don't have a 90D, but I'm assuming the algorithm is consistent across models in that it lowers rated range when temperatures are colder, and raises it again when it's warmer.

Here's a graph of my rated range for charges limited to 90% - it got pretty cold (for the area) in November of last year, then I was skiing in WY & UT the second half of December where it was bitterly cold, then back in cold-ish NorCal in January but February has been warm again:

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.15.07 AM.png

I will update my data around May-June, where I typically hit peak rated range for the year. There is a temperature effect that plays here, so I need to wait to look for the peaks to see what the curve looks like.

So some have been told by Tesla. Until someone drives down to something low like 5% and reconciles remaining battery % with the wh / mile * miles driven, I don't think anyone will really know for sure.

There have been several updates since this was first postulated but no improvement in range indicated.

Silicon in the anode decreases cell life as the tradeoff for getting higher capacity. How did Tesla overcome this tradeoff?

I will stop believing it's a correctable algorithm issue if Tesla doesn't come through on their written promise (to me and several others in this thread) that they are updating the software issue soon. My internal clock has that patience wearing out by the end of March. I've cycled down to 3/4% from a 100% charge two or three times with no appreciable effect.

I will stop believing it's a correctable algorithm issue if Tesla doesn't come through on their written promise (to me and several others in this thread) that they are updating the software issue soon. My internal clock has that patience wearing out by the end of March. I've cycled down to 3/4% from a 100% charge two or three times with no appreciable effect.

It's my belief that until someone bites the bullet and runs it until it shuts off, charges up to 100%, and does it again to determine the full range the car thinks it has, then you won't have a good indicator. At that point, if it only achieves 250ish miles, then you'll have demonstrated that clearly it's not an indication / algorithm issue but rather a capacity issue.

So some have been told by Tesla... How much range must one lose before folks stop believing it's a calibration error?...
As cited previously with numerous posts in this thread, I too have this challenge with my S90D -- from a lifetime 90% charge high of 255 rated miles at delivery on 10/5, to now something between 249-251 depending on however the crazy algorithm is calculating things at the moment. It's not correlated to temp swings or simple rounding errors in my case, and I appreciate the data for some others with 85kWh batteries clearly show it is over longer spans of time. I have though, reported my situation to Tesla and have it documented (see previous posts) that my battery itself has no issue and it is a firmware problem how rated range is being calculated/presented, with no ETA for resolution.

HOPEFULLY EVERY OWNER WITH THIS ISSUE IS ALSO REPORTING IT TO TESLA and not just here on TMC. Please, do!

My recent hope is with the 90kWh now becoming the norm in the MS/MX line (replacing the 85kWh versions), Tesla sooner or later will have to address their error as more owners encounter and formally report this problem. It's hard to believe Tesla would have effectively discontinued the 85kWh battery, to the 90kWh now being standard in MX and MS if there was a physical problem and the 8-year battery warranty being in place. I just don't buy the gloom and doom scenario some folks continue to submit about a more systemic degraded cell life given this change Tesla has made globally to their product line -- even though I prefer to deal only with hard facts when I can. In addition, every time there is a new firmware release, there is another glimmer of hope changes for those of us with 90kWh batteries and erratic rated range estimates may magically become corrected -- e.g. I'm once again awaiting notification of my 2.9.172 update any time now that others started recently receiving OTA, so I can see if there happens to be any positive change in the data displayed in my favorite toy.

For those that care about detail, here's my log & all related parms set in my S90D: View attachment AEL RR 2-17-2016.pdf

Last edited:
Maybe the 90 battery is really just an 85 with the early degradation loss "headroom" being exposed to the user. Whoopsies!

And the exact same battery was going into 85's but Tesla chose to hide the early degradation. Ahhh..

Reported rated range estimates are not actuals, whoever can achieve these numbers in the real world? Nobody sane.

We're worrying about fantasy range not meeting hypothetical range, when we all know real drives falls short of either anyway.

Want to achieve your rated range? Drive slower and you will! Every time you feel ripped off, drive slower and see that for real you can actually EXCEED your rated range.

Hey! These are batteries. They're rechargeable. If you stop and charge somewhere for an extra 5 minutes... you gain all the distance back that you thought you lost. Ad infinitum.

WHO expects to drive the whole range of the car and is seriously hampered by fear or reality of "not making it" the whole distance? That is not a good match for an EV. You bought the wrong car if that's your expectation.

And the answer is not towing a trailer full of more battery just so you can not pee for 5 hours driving straight.. is not healthy. The answer is stop, charge. Then go. The SuperCharger network is your friend. Your "range" is limited by your imagination... drive forever!! Unlimited. Free charging. Free electrons. You are hauling free fuel.

Did I say FREE?

Last edited:
As cited previously with numerous posts in this thread, I too have this challenge with my S90D -- from a lifetime 90% charge high of 255 rated miles at delivery on 10/5, to now something between 249-251 depending on however the crazy algorithm is calculating things at the moment. It's not correlated to temp swings or simple rounding errors in my case, and I appreciate the data for some others with 85kWh batteries clearly show it is over longer spans of time. I have though, reported my situation to Tesla and have it documented (see previous posts) that my battery itself has no issue and it is a firmware problem how rated range is being calculated/presented, with no ETA for resolution.

255 in October down to 249-251 right now is normal for me based on seasonality. My latest entry (today) for 90% shows battery_range at 230.1. On October 13, battery_range was 236.64 at battery_level of 90%.

- - - Updated - - -

We're worrying about fantasy range not meeting hypothetical range, when we all know real drives falls short of either anyway.

Real drives don't necessarily fall short. In the summer I can average less Wh/mi than rated, so I get better range. Winter eats all that up though.