Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is about 10 months old with 5300 miles. Our numbers are very similar 253-254 @90% and 282-283@100%. I balance my battery regularly and I'm curious if you do the same. Before I started doing that I was at 248 @90% and 279 @100%. Some firmware updates along the way also might have helped.

I don't, although I have range charged a number of times since taking ownership of the vehicle. I normally keep it at 90%

Here's my range loss since I got my 90D
upload_2016-7-10_21-13-18.png

I'm currently trying to figure out what's causing that large dip in July, the only thing I can think of is the heat in July in FL.

Here's my range loss since I got my 90D
View attachment 184837

I'm currently trying to figure out what's causing that large dip in July, the only thing I can think of is the heat in July in FL.
So about 8-9 miles in 12 weeks? I don't think the heat is the reason though. Could be as simple as your battery needs to be balanced/recalibrated. Also if you look through the posts in this thread many lost what you did and more and were told by Tesla that its just an algorithm issue and an upcoming firmware update will correct it. We have been waiting for 6 months.

Yeah, I don't think it's actual battery degradation. Take it to service and see if they can recalibrate (or you could try the method of doing it yourself - draining it and charging it).

I've done that twice already, going down to 20% and recharging

The range algo and history can be reset from the diagnostic screens.

Where is this if you don't mind me asking?

I've had my inventory 90D (non refresh, original base wheels 19") for almost two weeks. I did one range charge and it stated 294 miles. The car has just under 4,000 miles. I'd expect that this car was used as a road test mule and was charged relatively frequently but its 100% is greater than I expected. I have 2.24.102 installed. Are we in the clear on the range slowly declining?

I've had my inventory 90D (non refresh, original base wheels 19") for almost two weeks. I did one range charge and it stated 294 miles. The car has just under 4,000 miles. I'd expect that this car was used as a road test mule and was charged relatively frequently but its 100% is greater than I expected. I have 2.24.102 installed. Are we in the clear on the range slowly declining?
Time will tell but there are a few posts upthread from people presumably with the same battery as yours saying they lost 5 or 6 miles. It wasn't clear if any of them had ever balanced their battery though.

At 37,000 miles my full charge "rated" is 277. When I first picked it up it was 288.

This is on a 90D.
Newbie mistake, I didn't look at the ideal range. The ideal range is the range based on battery charge. Rated range is after an algorithm that takes into account how you drive.

Any on here have a new 90D that can tell me what the ideal range is on a full charge? I would like to look at mine to measure it against that.

As to yours at 266.. I would go in and have them do a battery health check for you. You should have more than that showing at full on a 90.

I've purposely gone incognito the last few months in this thread, but as I approach the 10-month anniversary owning my "early" S90D, felt I would offer perhaps a final update on the subject.

OLD NEWS Summary -- See upthread for detail
  • My expectation from "pre EPA" rating info provided on TeslaMotors.com was my early S90D built 9/2015 should have at least 257 Rated Range miles at 90% and 286 @ 100% at delivery. While I'm now below that by just a few miles, I have never achieved what I feel I was sold, including the day of delivery.
  • Tesla has told me in each interaction there is no issue with my S90D battery pack.
  • It was documented by Tesla in December that a future firmware release would resolve what I'll term "the display algorithm" issue related to Rated Range on my S90D. There was no ETA for delivery of this fix.
NEWer NEWS
  • It was documented by Tesla in April that I needed to cycle my battery from 80% to 30% for "battery efficiency". When I asked if a firmware fix was also still coming as I was told in December, I received a stare and no additional response.
  • On May 5, Tesla received a Certified Signature Receipt letter from me. I clearly provided all the facts and history requested in Tesla's warranty, and asked for someone to be assigned to both resolve my Rated Range concerns, and clarify my trying to rationalize the different things Tesla has told me:
    • Owner's Documentation and Videos effectively saying "plug MS in when not in use" (and let Tesla firmware handle it)
    • Has there been, is there, or is there not a firmware fix coming as was documented to me in December?
    • Do I really need to manually cycle my battery as I was told in April, and if so, how often -- and if this is so important, why isn't this also documented in Owner's materials for others to benefit from?
  • Next week, it will be 3 months since Palo Alto received my letter. I have sadly received no acknowledgement or reply.
  • Anecdotally, I believe there were some firmware improvements introduced regarding Rated Range in the 2.18.77 timeframe, which contributed to a couple points of improvement on my S90D. I have also been trying to run my battery down to 30-40% every few weeks, then allowing it to auto-charge up to 90% overnight. Once I wake up, I trip charge to 100% to cause battery balancing to take place, then within a few hours, drive my MS SoC back down under 90% (even if that means ridiculously going up and down the freeway to accomplish the task.) After performing this cycling process a couple of times since the newer firmware was installed, I picked up perhaps another point or two of Rated Range. It's really hard to precisely say what and where with only the data we as Owners have access to, so I won't get into food fights if others in the TMC-sphere have different opinions. ;)
CONCLUSION

I think it says a lot when Tesla has presented me (and other early S90D owners) differing solutions for our lack of Rated Range over the last several months, and then elects to not reply to my certified letter. As much as I love my MS in so many other ways, I will never forget Tesla not meeting their own documented specifications how their product should have operated on day 1 of my ownership. At the very least, my trust in this new brand, and my desire for great Tesla Customer Service has been greatly diminished because of their actions and lack thereof.

Tesla has perhaps achieved what it desired, as I've sort of "gone away" trying to fully resolve my Rated Range problem or at least gaining clarity what Tesla recommends should be done. They elect not to say. With my relatively low annual mileage, I hate having to think about and deal with this whole battery cycling thing every time I arrive home deciding if I should plug my HPWC in or not, but it is what it is, and I've added it to my mental MS checklist of things to do or consider each time I exit my MS. I really feel for other early S90D owners living with much worse Rated Range problems than I have, and OTOH I'm happy for those of you taking more recent delivery who are achieving Rated Range that surpasses the pre-EPA ratings expectations owners like I had when I ordered what was to have been my greatest toy.

Attachments

• AEL Rated Range 7-30-2016.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Helpful
Reactions: William3
So you're currently within 2 miles of the 90% theoretical target from Tesla marketing and within 3 miles of the 100% theoretical target from Tesla marketing, and you feel that's not good enough? Do you expect an ICE with a 25mpg rating to get exactly that, and would you be upset if it were actually 24.8mpg, and would you even notice?

So you're currently within 2 miles of the 90% theoretical target from Tesla marketing and within 3 miles of the 100% theoretical target from Tesla marketing, and you feel that's not good enough? Do you expect an ICE with a 25mpg rating to get exactly that, and would you be upset if it were actually 24.8mpg, and would you even notice?
That's what I'm getting from his post as well... I mean, my 70D has never charged higher than 238 rated miles (should be 240) and I just figured 'eh, close enough.' Charging the car to 90% has consistently landed between 213 and 215 rated miles. That said, the car isn't quite nine months old yet and only has just shy of 9k miles on it. Accurately calculating the SoC of a large, complex battery pack is somewhat difficult and every pack is going to be a little bit different given that the performance of each individual cell is a little bit different. Yes, each cell must perform within a specific range to be considered good, but I'd imagine that those tiny variations start to add up when you're talking about battery packs with thousands of cells.