Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D rough paint work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if you have ever used a clay bar on it? I assume that you have or the guy that cleans your car has? If it's rough feeling after using a clay bar it probably is a bad paint jobless or a developed paint defect. Personally, I noticed on the rear of my car after I picked it up on day one the paint was very rough feeling almost like it had not been clear coated correctly? But once I clayed the area it was perfect!

Just curious if you have ever used a clay bar on it? I assume that you have or the guy that cleans your car has? If it's rough feeling after using a clay bar it probably is a bad paint jobless or a developed paint defect. Personally, I noticed on the rear of my car after I picked it up on day one the paint was very rough feeling almost like it had not been clear coated correctly? But once I clayed the area it was perfect!

I don't think they mean rough from embedded debris but rather from orange peel.

I think I was pretty lucky with mine. No sign of orange peel and it was delivered swirl free which is the first time ever i didn't need to paint correct a new car.

I've kept it swirl free for 2 years.

I wasn't sure based on the OP description of the paint what he/she was seeing or feeling. Personally, I did have a one foot section on my left side of my trunk top and rear trunk door that was extremely rough. Like a light grit sand paper feeling! I didn't notice it until I came home and was hand washing the car. From just looking at the paint it looked ok? Pearl white hides everything. But it defiantly had something on the paint that the wash didn't remove. Clay bar pulled it off with some elbow grease work. It was defiantly not envirmental fallout or rail dust. Anyway just my .02. Best of luck.

I wasn't sure based on the OP description of the paint what he/she was seeing or feeling. Personally, I did have a one foot section on my left side of my trunk top and rear trunk door that was extremely rough. Like a light grit sand paper feeling! I didn't notice it until I came home and was hand washing the car. From just looking at the paint it looked ok? Pearl white hides everything. But it defiantly had something on the paint that the wash didn't remove. Clay bar pulled it off with some elbow grease work. It was defiantly not envirmental fallout or rail dust. Anyway just my .02. Best of luck.

Got it. I just wanted to clarify that clay is great for pulling out debris from the paint has embedded into the surface of the clearcoat. It will not fix finish issues with the clearcoat itself. i.e. won't smooth or sand down orange peel. If you have orange peel, the only solution is to wet sand it and then polish.

Before delivery, my DS called and said they found a paint defect on my hatch. It wasn't even visible unless you looked at it under the right light and at the right angle. It did feel rough and felt like it was related to the clear coat, not the paint They put it on the due bill and eventually swapped with a factory painted hatch. :)
Got it. I just wanted to clarify that clay is great for pulling out debris from the paint has embedded into the surface of the clearcoat. It will not fix finish issues with the clearcoat itself. i.e. won't smooth or sand down orange peel. If you have orange peel, the only solution is to wet sand it and then polish.
Or replace the hatch. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: sorka