Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D time for fixes or lawsuits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90D battery is still like new with 28k miles. I treat it well. Daily charge to 70% and about 10 super charging sessions. 99% of charging happens at home.
Good to hear!

Is is truly more beneficial to charge to 70% daily versus 80%? Or is it just speculation and hand-waving? Want to do what’s best as I’m not on a lease, but that saidI’ll do what’s evidence-based...

Reactions: sakimano
Good to hear!

Is is truly more beneficial to charge to 70% daily versus 80%? Or is it just speculation and hand-waving? Want to do what’s best as I’m not on a lease, but that saidI’ll do what’s evidence-based...

Tesla engineers say it is better not to exceed 60% but what are you preserving exactly? This is a car. Its not going to last forever. Just drive the sucker and replacement batteries will be pennies on the dollar by the time you need a replacement OR tesla will replace under its 8 year/unlimited miles if you manage to cause a module to fail. I'm driving my car until it falls apart and I'll pay wk for a new battery if this no longer cuts it. That's way cheaper than doing it the Tesla way and getting a new car every 18 months like its a cell phone (which I also keep until they die because I don't see a point in replacing a perfectly fine phone with a newer perfectly fine phone).

Tesla engineers say it is better not to exceed 60% but what are you preserving exactly? This is a car. Its not going to last forever. Just drive the sucker and replacement batteries will be pennies on the dollar by the time you need a replacement OR tesla will replace under its 8 year/unlimited miles if you manage to cause a module to fail. I'm driving my car until it falls apart and I'll pay wk for a new battery if this no longer cuts it. That's way cheaper than doing it the Tesla way and getting a new car every 18 months like its a cell phone (which I also keep until they die because I don't see a point in replacing a perfectly fine phone with a newer perfectly fine phone).

Great points, my dear friend @croman ! That said, even if battery prices fall in X years, do you think Tesla will gouge us on the price and make a fat profit, because they can? Won’t really have much in the way of aftermarket alternatives, eh? Perhaps they won’t even make replacement batteries available to force us to “upgrade the car” early!

Great points, my dear friend @croman ! That said, even if battery prices fall in X years, do you think Tesla will gouge us on the price and make a fat profit, because they can? Won’t really have much in the way of aftermarket alternatives, eh? Perhaps they won’t even make replacement batteries available to force us to “upgrade the car” early!

Wk already offers replacements. Prices are reasonable but not something I'd jump at right now. If I had a S60 getting the extra range would be great.

Tesla unfortunately had no interest in helping owners out but the third party market is just getting going. As long as the model S body and wheel base stays the same, the market potential will only increase and attract more suppliers.

Rated is math. Charging to 100% will balance cells and influence bms to report a more accurate state of charge which is the math to get rated (~289wh/mi) * kwh.
what's the rated wh/miles for a P90D? Not the range, but the rate of consumption used.

and yes, agree with this...the rated range shown on charge is the car taking your energy available in the battery and dividing the kwh available by wh/miles EPA rating to show EPA rated range available.

driving habits, tires etc. don't influence that number. They certainly influence your actual attainable range, but not hte display in the cluster.

Last edited:
There are 3 different 90 batteries that I'm aware of, all improving over the previous generations.

We see this with the improved performance and range of newer part number batteries. I have one of the older ones, hence my modest range at 90% which is 229 miles and at 100% around 255 miles.

P90D I think also has worse rating than 90D. Mine is a Model Year 2015 delivered late October (30th) 2015.

what's the rated wh/miles for a P90D?

and yes, agree with this...the rated range shown on charge is the car taking your energy available in the battery and dividing the kw by wh/miles EPA rate to show EPA rated range available.

driving habits, tires etc. don't influence that number. They certainly influence your actual attainable range, but not hte display in the cluster.

90kwh/294miles= 306wh/mi. Though I'm an attorney, so my math skills are non-existent.

That assumes 90kwh of available energy. I think its actually around 85kwh. That would be

85/294= 289wh/mi which I think is more accurate.

Great points, my dear friend @croman ! That said, even if battery prices fall in X years, do you think Tesla will gouge us on the price and make a fat profit, because they can?
why, because they're such a profit focused company? :)

Would love to replace my battery with a new 100 that is actually 98.4 usable kwh rather than my '90' which is actually 81.8 kwh. A 20% increase would be just fine thanks and I'd pay $10,000 for it at some point if need be.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
why, because they're such a profit focused company?

Would love to replace my battery with a new 100 that is actually 98.4 usable kwh rather than my '90' which is actually 81.8 kwh. A 20% increase would be just fine thanks and I'd pay $10,000 for it at some point if need be.
I'd jump right in too and earlier than less, but I was under the impression it wasn't possible to retrofit a 100kW.

usable battery energy is actually quoted as 81.8 kwh on the original 90. Not sure which one you might have or if that changed.

the original 90 didn't list 294 EPA rated miles either. Not sure what that had (286 maybe?)

If 82 and 286, gives you: 287wh/mi.

The point is, its an easy calculation that even math illiterates can calculate if the values are known.

My thought is that this is probably not related to the topic of this thread, and you would likely have more success in finding suggestions or others with your issue if you put in in its own thread. This is not typical to a problem with 90 kWh battery degradation.
Oh, i thought i was contributing to the issues with the S90 battery. My mistake.

I had this same worry, luckily (or unluckily?) I had a small rock stuck in the right front brake lining. I noticed the range degradation before the score mark on the disc. The disc was gouged too deeply to turn. Surprisingly, the problem made no noise. One reason I upgraded to RB discs.

Once everything was right again my range came back.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
What is 'normal' degradation? What is 'abnormal' degradation?

From what I've read we can expect to see about 3-5% drop (or thereabouts) within the first few years. From there, there should be continued degradation of energy holding capacity, however not as dramatic as that first 3-5% in the first few years.

Mine has 'lost' about 4.5% of it's original capacity. It's 3 years old, 30,000 miles and 50/50 supercharging/L2 charging.

To me that seems, anecdotally, normal based on what others have posted or been surveyed on.

At what point does one rally the troops and become part of a class suit? To me it has to be where we see a significant loss, and to me, anecdotally that would be something like 20% in the first few years. Are 90 owners experiencing this type of degradation in large numbers? I've seen a few but tesla sold thousands of 90 batteries.

Here is my latest. I have info recorded up to 57,000 miles. I record every ~1000 miles (Im in China right now, and unfortunately, even with my VPN's, YouTube and many USA sites and even my remote desktop to home is running at dial up type speeds, while domestic to china stuff runs at nearly a gigabit....). Mix of L2 and Supercharging. Car is limited to a maximum of 94kW charge rate. As of lately, it seems to be hit or miss weather I get 94kW or stuck around 60kW rates. As I have Tesla Spy, and access to BMS data, I can rule out temperatures (Cold or Hot) causing charging rate issues. I should be able to hit 90+ kW charge rate with cell temps at or above 70*F and below 113*F at any SOC below 60%.

As for useable capacity, let's just say my 90D is now just a hair away from being a 75D.
Watch to End as I include a Chart from every 1000 since car was new (0 miles) to present.