Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Vacation from 190 to 40 in 7 days unplugged parked . Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So went on Vacation for 7 days. Charged it to about 190 before we left. When we came back it was 40. Is this normal. Car was unplugged and parked in garage. Also 90 is 219 and 100 is 236. Is that normal also? Car is exactly 20k driven to this point.

How much do you normally lose overnight?
Do you use any service that polls the car regularly?
Was the car left outside in the sun? If so, do you have cabin overheat enabled? How was the weather?
Did you have power saving on our off? What about always connected?
What about smart preconditioning?

21 a day sounds like a lot, but there are many variables.

Reactions: cantbechanged
So went on Vacation for 7 days. Charged it to about 190 before we left. When we came back it was 40. Is this normal.
Car was unplugged and parked in garage. Also 90 is 219 and 100 is 236. Is that normal also? Car is exactly 20k driven to this point.
The range loss of 21 miles/day does seem a bit high. Are you sure your 90% is 219?
A Model S 70D new 100/90% range is 240/216. Used range 100/90% is around 236/212.

How much do you normally lose overnight?
Do you use any service that polls the car regularly?
Was the car left outside in the sun? If so, do you have cabin overheat enabled? How was the weather?
Did you have power saving on our off? What about always connected?
What about smart preconditioning?
Usually lose 2-5 miles over night, left in the garage no sun live in NJ with temps in 70s on avg last week.
Power Saving was on and Always Connected was checked. ( did not check during vacation through cell).
Smart preconditioning is off
The range loss of 21 miles/day does seem a bit high. Are you sure your 90% is 219?
A Model S 70D new 100/90% range is 240/216. Used range 100/90% is around 236/212.
So I'm reading today the 90%, if I'm reading it correctly being the notch where Daily/Trip meet, is at 215. Feel like something is wrong here battery should not be at 215-220 range within 2 years am I right?

What next steps do you suggest

Last edited:
I’m confused about the “notch.”

Your 90% should just be miles to empty when your battery is charged to 90%. What’s the “notch?”
The charge limit setting has notches every 10% between 50% and 100%, and the steps are 2.5%. You have to count the notches— there are no numerical labels. It’s really easy to be off by 2.5% in setting the charge limit.

Reactions: Gwgan
Usually lose 2-5 miles over night, left in the garage no sun live in NJ with temps in 70s on avg last week.
Power Saving was on and Always Connected was checked. ( did not check during vacation through cell).
Smart preconditioning is off

Do you have any services that poll the car? I don't use any, but have tried two in the past. Both of them significantly affected my vampire drain. The service I tried recently was burning around six miles per day. With no polling services, I parked mine at the airport in a covered garage at temps in the 70-80s and lost one mile a day or so. I leave on cabin overheat protection and have the car set to power save and not be always connected.

You are definitely seeing unusual drain.
I recently did a 3.5 week business trip. I charged up my MX 75D to about 75% and left it parked
for the duration. I did nothing to reduce vampiric battery drain (i.e. didn't change any settings).
Here's the graph of the results (note - all data in kms):

Vampiric Drain

In summary:
- drain starts at about 7-8km/day, and drops over time (I'm guessing the car goes into a deeper sleep).
- there are bursts of increased drain, which happened on the same day that I got notifications of an update being available (which happened about every week). I couldn't act on them because I was overseas.
- temp was moderate - 15C ish in the day, and 5C at night. Car was in a large parking garage.

I have a 90D with 50K miles. 100% is 275 miles. I lose perhaps 3 - 4 miles a day when unplugged.

- your 100% looks awfully low for a 90D.
- something is apparently turned on, that you don't want. 21 miles per day vampire drain is definitely not normal.

If my X doesn't sleep (always connected is enabled, for example) it uses a little over 10 rated miles per day sitting in the garage, maybe 11 or 12. That's in warm weather. If it is allowed to sleep (always connected off, cabin overheat protection off, TeslaFi logging properly configured among others) I can get under 3 rated miles lost per day. 20 RM/day is very high.

Given the 40 RM remaining, it is possible the climate was running and stopped when 20% battery was left, after which normal vampire drain took it down to to 40 RM.

Mainly, leave the car plugged in!

If my X doesn't sleep (always connected is enabled, for example) it uses a little over 10 rated miles per day sitting in the garage, maybe 11 or 12. That's in warm weather. If it is allowed to sleep (always connected off, cabin overheat protection off, TeslaFi logging properly configured among others) I can get under 3 rated miles lost per day. 20 RM/day is very high.

Given the 40 RM remaining, it is possible the climate was running and stopped when 20% battery was left, after which normal vampire drain took it down to to 40 RM.

Mainly, leave the car plugged in!

Hey thanks for the replies. I believe you are right in that when I entered the car after getting back and the car turned on I did see the AC was on, meaning I did not manually turn off the AC before going on vacation. (ridiculous bug or issue on Tesla's part). Really hope next charge my 90 is above 215 as its just crazy its so low. Hoping Service Center can help but they always say it calculates based on how you drive. Feel like we drive very efficiently with temps set to 70 or off and avg at 260-340wh/m.

Before planning to leave our car for an extended period (at a garage) unplugged, I usually do a test overnight at home, unplugged, just to verify the vampire drain is still low enough to allow for extended parking.

I just left for 6.5 days. My one year or so old X 90D used 15 RM. Power saving is on, always connected is on, parked in an un heated but insulated garage. No polling services of any kind are in use. I did not check the app during that time. The OP power usage is very high.

The new sw updated recently somehow created an issue with the car going to sleep after (for example, Teslafi) a remote connection.

I had to reset my password to kill all of the remote connections to fix the vampire drain.

But, yes, ~1 mile loss per hour is on the order of what I was seeing because the car wasn't going to sleep properly.

One variable might be the status of your 12V battery. Mine was going bad (a common problem in So. Florida heat - my SC had ordered a replacement but said the car was safe to drive until it arrived). Apparently the 12V battery will draw from the battery pack to maintain a charge. So when we left on a 10 day vacation with about 160 miles in the battery, I turned off all remote connections, etc. but had zero miles in the battery pack when we got home! A quick charge & everything was back to normal. The SC sent a technician to replace the 12V battery soon afterward & there’s been no issues since.

• Informative
We often leave our MX undriven for 3 and sometimes 4 days at a time plugged in and in "always connected" mode. No A/C, overheat protection or polling services connected. Prior to V2018.18, vampire loss was about 2.5 RM/day. Since 2018.18 was installed, vampire loss has decreased to less than 2 RM/day.

• Informative
vv132: The AC turns off when you lock the car except if you manually set it to remain active (need to do this each time you leave the car or it defaults to off). It will turn back on when you turn on the car unless you had it off when you locked it. This doesn't mean it was running the entire time.

The AC will cycle on and off during the day if you have cabin overheat protection on and the internal temperature rises above 105 F. This can drain the battery quickly if you leave it sit for several days without having the car plugged in.