TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

90D vs. 100D - Free SC? - 5 Days to decide - 21K mi per year - Commuter

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jxf101, Jan 28, 2017.

1. jxf101

jxf101 New Member

I need help to decide, I have 5 days to make a change order on a purchase of a Model X 90D or 100D. I have a long commute and I have 2 superchargers between my home and work.

Right now I'm avg. 21K per year (80 mi per day) in my Model S 70D and I use the SC at least 1-2 times per week.

Please Help!

Thanks!
    IMG_1280.JPG

2. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Sounds like you might do better with free supercharging-unless you think the 100D will make it so that you don't have to use superchargers weekly?

3. shelbri

shelbri Member

I have an 80 mile commute each day as well. Unless you don't have a charging option at home, you are wasting your time supercharging to save a few bucks each week on electric IMHO. Your annual cost for electric is probably just over $1k for 21k miles.

I think it's really a question of how often you intend to go on long road trips. Your daily usage doesn't warrant a need for the larger battery but having extra range for when you need it is always helpful.

I decided to forgo FUSC and wait a bit before longer to upgrade my Model S to the 100D.

4. Nimpo

Nimpo Member

I'm with a similar situation to yours: around 22k miles/year with a SC predicted in the next few months in the commute.

It would be around 1500-1600€ / year of electricity.

I think, for the range difference, it makes more sense to keep the privilege of having that for free.

5. Tam

Tam Active Member

I agree with shelbri to pay more for the range and convenience. It's better to charge at home and work rather than wasting time at a Supercharger.

• Like x 1
  6. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Get the 100. More range is better.

7. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

The OP doesn't fit the Tesla profile of a SuperCharger user. 80 miles per day is easily handled with a 90 when charging from home.

8. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Tesla does not offer Superchargers for commuters. it's for long-distance travel. Does not fit the Tesla supercharger use profile that they prescribe.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My hypothesis on EV purchasing is to always purchase the largest battery you can afford. You won't regret it.

• Like x 2
  10. McRat

McRat Active Member

No EV owner in history has ever said, "I wish I had less battery."

• Like x 2
  11. docherf

docherf Member

Curious - Why are you using the SC on your 80mi commute? No where to charge at home or to save money?

If you're looking to save time, get the 100. If you want to save money and don't mind stopping get the 90-esp.if you're going to keep SCing that often.

12. jxf101

jxf101 New Member

Having a flexible schedule at work allows me to visit a SC for a good hour and avoid the worst part of rush hour (bay area is really brutal). I use mobile wifi to work from my "mobile office MS" and grab a coffee. If helps break up the commute and I'll admit saving $1-$1.5K is a nice feeling. I use to spend $4500 in gas per year.

So I'm leaning to 90d but it is quite painful knowing the 100d is only $3k with more advanced battery tech.

• Informative x 1
  13. docherf

docherf Member

I can see your dilemma! Paying 3% more for 16% more battery is quite a deal.

14. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Sounds like you really want the 100 but don't want to shell out another 3k. You may regret it later.

15. Nimpo

Nimpo Member

Well this is not a normal commute :) My wife works 190 miles from home. She does that trip twice/week. Of course she will be using SC.

16. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Bingo. I have an 80 mile commute and even if I had an SC on the way, there is no way I am wasting an hour twice a week (that is two hours) to save $10. I have a plug at home and SCs are for long distance travel. heck i don't even plug my S at the office also, although there are Chargepoint chargers that are free for us.

Do us all a favor - doesn't matter if you end up with a 70 or 100. Don't use SC for your daily commute. Use a plug in your home.

17. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I'd stick with the 90. Does the extra 10kwh save you stopping? Probably rarely if ever.

18. Cowby

Cowby Supporting Member

If the supercharger is really, really convenient for you.....AND you're not clogging up the supercharger for long distance travelers....then I'd say the 90 has more value to you.