Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wearing a slightly sneakier hat, it may be purely software limited to 130 for the 75D. With the range gap closing between the base model and the 90D, it gives them a stat that gives a perceived differentiation between the 75D from the 90D on the build page while having almost no actual impact. (i.e. How many people are really going to use the difference between 130 and 155, and how often?)
If I may add, do people really target hitting that top speed. I don't know .. I have had cars which claim they do similar speeds. However I did not have the cojones to cross 105 ever. That too was done on a dead straight road in a desert.

I'm now halfway through my "make-up-yo-damn-mind" week and I, too, would like to know how imminent the 100 is. Of course, no one who's posting here knows for sure, but if general consensus is that it's within a month I might cancel and wait it out now that the design studio is open to all.

Is there more info I can read about supercharging speed? Why does the increased capacity imply faster recharge times?

Cost isn't necessarily a "stretch" per se, but that $10-12k can be put to other uses (including, perhaps, savings as a Model 3 downpayment, etc)
A larger battery allows faster recharge rate before the recharge rate slows to a trickle to prevent theoretical overflow of the charge. Compare this to filling a large pitcher of water vs an 8 oz glass. The flow is faster in the larger container until it reaches full or 80%,etc..

I noticed in email correspondence than my delivery of a 90D went from "April-early May" to "Late April-May."

Not sure if this is relevant to anything with this thread, but interesting considering speculations above.
It may be the case that many non-sig orders are 70D since folks might not be seeing the value in 90D? I am guessing.. as result they may be ramping up 70D deliveries as well. This has nothing to do with the twitter persuasion I have bestowed on elon and teslamotors about 70D delays :p
On a serious note, it may have to do with the third row seat recall adding some time that the factory and service center needs to address the recall first.

@commasign, my average Wh/mi with my 90D is currently hovering around 330. 257 miles * 330 Wh/mi = 84.81kWh. That's probably a reasonable estimate for usable size of the pack. Maybe they overstated the P90D and were more fair with the 90D.. or maybe the difference really isn't all that great.

Well, after 850 miles our P90D is at about 365 Wh/mi and we are quite conscientious of efficiency (our P85 Model S is at a 299 lifetime over 21k miles). I'm starting to think they may have overstated the P90D's range which would be frustrating. On the 30-mile energy graph it seems like the rated range is at about 340, but it's hard to tell. We've hardly used the A/C or heat, and the temperature has been in the ideal range as it's spring--I know that the tires need some breaking in, but I'm hoping we start getting some improved numbers soon.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx
Heard back from my DS via email. He could offer no commitment either way on waiving the $500, but suggested that it may already be too late for me to make material changes to my config - this a mere 5 days after confirmation, and despite a delivery estimate of late May/early June.

My frustration meter is not terribly high yet, but could grow.

I was waiting to configure in hopes that this update would include the 100D option. Any advice on whether to continue waiting or just pull the trigger on a 90D? We aren't super impatient, but we'd like to order (of course).
Given that those who ordered an X 70D got a free upgrade to a 75D, if you order a 90D now and the 100D comes out before you take delivery might you get a free upgrade? If you wait until it is broadcast you pay the price increase.

Reactions: bhzmark
Well, after 850 miles our P90D is at about 365 Wh/mi and we are quite conscientious of efficiency (our P85 Model S is at a 299 lifetime over 21k miles). I'm starting to think they may have overstated the P90D's range which would be frustrating. On the 30-mile energy graph it seems like the rated range is at about 340, but it's hard to tell. We've hardly used the A/C or heat, and the temperature has been in the ideal range as it's spring--I know that the tires need some breaking in, but I'm hoping we start getting some improved numbers soon.
Our P85 Model S is at 299 as well, over 32k miles. So I think we probably drive similarly - relatively efficient driving. As a point of comparison, over 200 miles in our X 90D, with similar driving conditions and style, we are at 329 Wh/mi. Obviously two anecdotes do not make anything resembling data, but it's worth mentioning just for comparison sake between the two of us.

@dropd, I took delivery of a 90D. Given the situation you're in, making the same decision today, I'd still stick with the 90D. Comparing apples to apples, it's a $10k difference since Smart Air Suspension is included in the 90D. If this is something you don't want, then you can view it as a $12500 discrepancy. The other benefit to a 90D + Smart Air is you can do some towing. Even those who didn't order the towing package appear to have received a limited towing option (up to 3500 lbs). I don't know that Tesla will continue to deliver this way, but that provides a lot of extra flexibility.

It'll be toughest when the 100D comes out in a month and the range is up in the 280/290 range.. but I'm going to enjoy the car regardless.

@commasign, my average Wh/mi with my 90D is currently hovering around 330. 257 miles * 330 Wh/mi = 84.81kWh. That's probably a reasonable estimate for usable size of the pack. Maybe they overstated the P90D and were more fair with the 90D.. or maybe the difference really isn't all that great.
@ohmman what makes you think a 100D is coming in a month? I thought all us posters thought the design studio opening yesterday per EM would include 100D. Now that that has passed and all we see is a new MS front fascia and now a MX 75D, how can we do anything but speculate on the 100D? That was based only on some hacker seeing that code line in his hack, but TM has never said anything about a 100kWh battery back, have they? Waiting on my 5-seat MX would be great if it never came out as a 90D but instead as a 100D, but I dunno...

@ohmman what makes you think a 100D is coming in a month?
It was sort of tongue-in-cheek, but personally I expect it before the end of June. I have no data to support my expectation aside from the fact that I can't imagine the universe allowing me to have the largest capacity battery for longer than a calendar quarter.

I'm in a similar boat. Ordered a 90d for maximum range at a $15.5k premium, begrudgingly paying for the Air Suspension that I have no use for since I don't plan to tow stuff.

Side note: they should really unbundle Air Suspension form the 90kwh battery - if anything, they should bundle it with the tow package, which requires AS.

Order finalized on 4/9, with final confirmation email on 4/10 at 3am or so. Effectively 2 days ago, 3 at the max.

Was hoping to make the change to 75D and drop the Air Suspension so tried to get ahold of DS all day and called the build hotline multiple times. Finally spoke to someone at the headquarters, who basically said I'm SOL and can't make changes since my car is queued up for production. Only option: cancel and reorder, loosing the $5k deposit. Not cool.

Finally got ahold of my DS who seemed much more accommodating and thought that they can still put the change through. He's working on it as I type this. Not likely to waive the $500 change fee though... Also I ordered the Dark Ash at $750, which is now standard, he wasn't too sure they can waive that either...

I just can't justify paying $15.5k or even $13k for extra 20 miles of range, given my current driving habits/needs...

We'll see if they are able to change it. If not, I might cancel and reorder anyway, as I would still save like $8750 over current config.

We'll see.....

Heard back from my DS via email. He could offer no commitment either way on waiving the $500, but suggested that it may already be too late for me to make material changes to my config - this a mere 5 days after confirmation, and despite a delivery estimate of late May/early June.

My frustration meter is not terribly high yet, but could grow.

I was sitting on the fence between a 60 and an 85 CPO and am 100% satisfied that I paid more for the bigger battery, despite the color I didn't want and the pano roof I didn't want. A bigger battery to me lets me charge the car overnight. then take a moderate 110+ mile loop of client visits in the morning, and still have range for some afternoon trips without topping off the battery at the much higher TOU (time of use rates) that SC Edison charges. With the 60 I would have been on the edge.

So you could get 90kWh at .12 cents per kWh for a total of $10.80 or 75kWh for $9.00, but if you have to add the extra 15kWh at Edison's peak TOU rate of .48 cents per kWh it would be another $7.20 for a total of $16.20 for the equivalent 90 kWh. It's a small thing, and it may never affect you, but it is something that I only realized after having the car.

The extra money upfront for the bigger battery is buying daily convenience that is hard to explain until you have it.

Keep the 90 and enjoy!

Reactions: Tedkidd and ohmman
Order finalized on 4/9, with final confirmation email on 4/10 at 3am or so. Effectively 2 days ago, 3 at the max.

Was hoping to make the change to 75D and drop the Air Suspension so tried to get ahold of DS all day and called the build hotline multiple times. Finally spoke to someone at the headquarters, who basically said I'm SOL and can't make changes since my car is queued up for production. Only option: cancel and reorder, loosing the $5k deposit. Not cool.

Finally got ahold of my DS who seemed much more accommodating and thought that they can still put the change through. He's working on it as I type this. Not likely to waive the $500 change fee though... Also I ordered the Dark Ash at $750, which is now standard, he wasn't too sure they can waive that either...

Can you post or PM me the phone number you used to contact the build hotline? My DS said there was no number I could call, only email which they have not replied to. He's been pretty firm trying to say it's likely too late (opposite of what your DS is telling you).

On the 30-mile energy graph it seems like the rated range is at about 340, but it's hard to tell.
90D is rated at 257miles with a 90kWh battery which comes out to 350Wh/Mile.
P90D is rated at 250miles with a 90kWh battery which comes out to 360Wh/Mile.
The 10Wh/Mile difference is ~2.8%
If you are averaging < 350Wh/Mile you are doing better than rated range and if you're averaging > 360Wh/Mile you are doing worse than the rated range.
If you managed to get 315Wh/Mile that could get you as much as 286 miles going from 100% to 0% on your battery.
Conversely, if you got 400Wh/Mile that would only get you 225 miles of range.
No one will drive from 100% to 0% so the mileage range with a full 100% SOC down to 10% SOC is more likely to be 203 to 257 with the average being about 230 miles. The SCs are spaced much closer than this but this still gives you a nice buffer for things like hills, wind and not having to charge back to 100% to get to the next SC.

When the EPA range says 257 miles though, do they mean start at 100% drive for 257 miles and you would be at 0% or is it a more practical battery SOC range like 100% to 5% ??