Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. This is my first post after many months reading and learning about the MS and MX here. Thanks for all the great information so far!

I believe this question is on topic but if it isn't, please let me know and I'll start a new thread. I'm trying to figure out if I should down grade to the 75D instead of the 90D as I'm seeing in Design Studio that the base price is $80k and not $83k.

I put my $5k deposit down on a MX the weekend before the Design Studio was made public to everyone so I'm thinking that I'm getting the same experience others who put down/reserved previously. I'm confused what is the right price; the extra $3k is enough of a difference that I'm thinking of going 75D. However, my owner advisor and the person I spoke to at HQ gave me conflicting information. The HQ rep claims that the base price has indeed gone up $83k and that there is no such provision of grandfathering the old price; even though my Design Studio and what I've read on here says otherwise. My 7th day is tomorrow (4/19) so I'm running out of time to decide before I'll have to pay the $500 change fee.

1) Does anyone have word from Tesla that if you reserved before last Tuesday you will save the $3k base price increase on the 75D?
2) Are there any other advantages to the 90D other than 0-60, 20 mile EPA range, quick supercharger times, better battery degradation coverage when the car is older (3+ years old)?

I'm thinking a MX with Midnight Silver, base wheels, all packages except PUP and towing including the 72 AMP charger. I'm still torn between Ultra White or the Base seats.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to TMC. In regards to question 2, if you do a lot of long road trip, I would definitely go with 90D instead of 75D. It can make quite a bit of difference. Basically you spend less time charging and more time driving. Also, like I said in previous post, you definitely use less extreme capacity of the battery with 90D. With 75D, there are more occasion where you will need to charge above 90% and drain the battery to below 5%. That in turn will hurt the longevity of the battery, and also you are driving with less margin of safety (for missed turn, unexpected weather, traffic condition, detour etc).

I am assuming you live in Boston based on your profile, cold weather will also drop real world range a lot. So choosing 90D would have an advantage here.

On the other hand, if you mainly drive within an urban area, your home is close to a supercharger, or your home has charging capability. Choosing 75D vs 90D will make very few differences.

If money isn't an issue, just go with 90D if you can. If it is an issue, then try to live with 75D.

Welcome to TMC. In regards to question 2, if you do a lot of long road trip, I would definitely go with 90D instead of 75D. It can make quite a bit of difference. Basically you spend less time charging and more time driving. Also, like I said in previous post, you definitely use less extreme capacity of the battery with 90D. With 75D, there are more occasion where you will need to charge above 90% and drain the battery to below 5%. That in turn will hurt the longevity of the battery, and also you are driving with less margin of safety (for missed turn, unexpected weather, traffic condition, detour etc).

I am assuming you live in Boston based on your profile, cold weather will also drop real world range a lot. So choosing 90D would have an advantage here.

On the other hand, if you mainly drive within an urban area, your home is close to a supercharger, or your home has charging capability. Choosing 75D vs 90D will make very few differences.

If money isn't an issue, just go with 90D if you can. If it is an issue, then try to live with 75D.

Thanks for the welcome, ggnykk. I do live in Boston. That is a very good point on cold weather driving and battery range. The main purpose of the MX is as a family vehicle for longer trips around the northeast. I plan on driving to NYC often for work while we take mini road trips as a family at least 6-8 times a year.

It seems with the MX 90D, in decent temps and with no headwind, I can probably make it from my home to midtown on a single full charge and, plug in at a garage in NYC. If lucky, I can get a 90% or at least get enough extra miles (50) to make it to the I-95 or Merritt Superchargers. With a 70D, I will certainly need to stop for a charge and in cold poor temps, I may need to stop twice.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm leaning towards the 90D. It is costly but it otherwise seems to have less compromise.

Thanks for the welcome, ggnykk. I do live in Boston. That is a very good point on cold weather driving and battery range. The main purpose of the MX is as a family vehicle for longer trips around the northeast. I plan on driving to NYC often for work while we take mini road trips as a family at least 6-8 times a year.

It seems with the MX 90D, in decent temps and with no headwind, I can probably make it from my home to midtown on a single full charge and, plug in at a garage in NYC. If lucky, I can get a 90% or at least get enough extra miles (50) to make it to the I-95 or Merritt Superchargers. With a 70D, I will certainly need to stop for a charge and in cold poor temps, I may need to stop twice.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm leaning towards the 90D. It is costly but it otherwise seems to have less compromise.
You are welcome. You definitely should go for a 90D, better EV experience for you and your family for sure.

However, my owner advisor and the person I spoke to at HQ gave me conflicting information. The HQ rep claims that the base price has indeed gone up $83k and that there is no such provision of grandfathering the old price; even though my Design Studio and what I've read on here says otherwise. My 7th day is tomorrow (4/19) so I'm running out of time to decide before I'll have to pay the $500 change fee.
AFAIK, having spoken to Tesla PR right after the changes were live in the design studio, the grandfathering in for the 75D at the 70D price was only for those who had *ordered* their car before the announcement, not for anyone who had reserved one. When you reserve the car, you aren't reserving a specific configuration. You're reserving a spot to configure and order a Model X. Sounds like you were still on the fence and had not ordered yet.

If you haven't actually ordered yet, I think it's unlikely you will get the lower price. If you lock in your order, however, and the price still says $80K for the 75D in the design studio and confirmation documents, then that's a nice bonus.

I'm going crazy here. How is this possible?!

75kW - 237 miles (3.16 miles range per kW)
90kW - 257 miles (2.86 miles range per kW)

The capacity increased by 17%, the weight increased by 3%, but the range per kW decreased by 9%? Is weight seriously that debilitating to range? I'm no physics expert, but in every equation I can muster with power, work, force, energy, etc: mass is always linear.

What is going on here?
Because the 22" wheels Exchanges about 10-15% range for enhanced handling.

Just as information, ModelXTracker.com dashboard shows a person who ordered a 70D (75D) having received a VIN. I contacted this person and he says he had ordered a 90D and received his VIN at about the same time he downgraded to a 75D. Therefore there are no individuals who have ordered a 70D75D who have received a VIN.

ModelXTracker.com Co-Administrator

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Right now the only model X 75D we show with a VIN in ModelXTracker is @dropd. The reason I posted this is because we continue to get tickets/inquiries in ModelXTracker about three subjects. The first being is the 75D that is listed on the dashnoard valid and next is the record for the person who got a VIN for a five seat versions valid. In the past everytime we have done the research on either of these issues we have come up with the same finding. There are still no 70D or 5-Seat Model X's in production. The third relates to the masked VINs causing irregularities on the dashboard. We try to be responsible to user's requests to validate information but sometimes people don't respond to our requests.

We spend hours each night correcting records and validating information in Model X and Model 3 Tracker. In order to get reports of with any meaning we rely on users inputting their information correctly. For example we ask for a persons's state abbreviation if they live on the US or Canada, if not the territory. . This sounds simple but we get all kind of information in this field from US and Canadian users not even taking into account what information European user's put in this field. We can't limit it to two characters as the state field is used differently in other parts of the world. That was just one example. We are trying to stay ahead of the game and validate and correct the information for Model 3 Tracker daily. Model 3 Tracker in two weeks has twice as many records as entered in Model X Tracker did in more than four years. The data in Model 3 tracker has been used in at least five articles in EV publications. Since they reference Model3Tracker.info in these articles this has boosted the hits on this application. Just in the last week we have had 1500 entries.

Every chance I get I try to thank those users who accurately input their information.

Definitely thanks for all the hard work on this, Darryl & Paul!

My record is this one:
MODEL X Production #18056 (VIN 06130)

We exchanged emails last week and I corrected the VIN since then.

Hope all the other data points are there. Let me know if I fudged up on any data entry.

Right now the only model X 75D we show with a VIN in ModelXTracker is @dropd. The reason I posted this is because we continue to get tickets/inquiries in ModelXTracker about three subjects. The first being is the 75D that is listed on the dashnoard valid and next is the record for the person who got a VIN for a five seat versions valid. In the past everytime we have done the research on either of these issues we have come up with the same finding. There are still no 70D or 5-Seat Model X's in production. The third relates to the masked VINs causing irregularities on the dashboard. We try to be responsible to user's requests to validate information but sometimes people don't respond to our requests.

We spend hours each night correcting records and validating information in Model X and Model 3 Tracker. In order to get reports of with any meaning we rely on users inputting their information correctly. For example we ask for a persons's state abbreviation if they live on the US or Canada, if not the territory. . This sounds simple but we get all kind of information in this field from US and Canadian users not even taking into account what information European user's put in this field. We can't limit it to two characters as the state field is used differently in other parts of the world. That was just one example. We are trying to stay ahead of the game and validate and correct the information for Model 3 Tracker daily. Model 3 Tracker in two weeks has twice as many records as entered in Model X Tracker did in more than four years. The data in Model 3 tracker has been used in at least five articles in EV publications. Since they reference Model3Tracker.info in these articles this has boosted the hits on this application. Just in the last week we have had 1500 entries.

Every chance I get I try to thank those users who accurately input their information.

Here.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
I wonder what would to pricing? I suspect 75d pricing will stay in line and 90d will go higher to a 100d with pricing to go along with it. Perhaps that's why Tesla's making some options a requirement for 75d to get pricing in line. If they had a 100d option right now, I would certainly have that instead of the 75d.