Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number is listed on the Tesla site in the support section, under delivery: 888-771-2505

When you call Option 1 is non-confirmed orders, Option 2 - finalized ones. Tried option 2 and it kept going to VoiceMail, I left one after about a dozen tries, still waiting for that call back. I then chose Option 1 and gothe connected after some time on hold.

The answer was not what you would like, as I mentioned above my DS was much more optimistic about the possibility of putting the change through.

Good luck to both of us! I'm also slightly jealous of our frugal brethren that ordered the 70D and got a free upgrade to 75...

Can you post or PM me the phone number you used to contact the build hotline? My DS said there was no number I could call, only email which they have not replied to. He's been pretty firm trying to say it's likely too late (opposite of what your DS is telling you).

I'm in a similar boat. Ordered a 90d for maximum range at a $15.5k premium, begrudgingly paying for the Air Suspension that I have no use for since I don't plan to tow stuff.

Side note: they should really unbundle Air Suspension form the 90kwh battery - if anything, they should bundle it with the tow package, which requires AS.

Order finalized on 4/9, with final confirmation email on 4/10 at 3am or so. Effectively 2 days ago, 3 at the max.

Was hoping to make the change to 75D and drop the Air Suspension so tried to get ahold of DS all day and called the build hotline multiple times. Finally spoke to someone at the headquarters, who basically said I'm SOL and can't make changes since my car is queued up for production. Only option: cancel and reorder, loosing the $5k deposit. Not cool.

Finally got ahold of my DS who seemed much more accommodating and thought that they can still put the change through. He's working on it as I type this. Not likely to waive the $500 change fee though... Also I ordered the Dark Ash at $750, which is now standard, he wasn't too sure they can waive that either...

I just can't justify paying $15.5k or even $13k for extra 20 miles of range, given my current driving habits/needs...

We'll see if they are able to change it. If not, I might cancel and reorder anyway, as I would still save like $8750 over current config.

We'll see.....
That's unfortunate but keep in mind that your resale value down the line may be around $5-8k more if you kept the 90 over the 75.

Reactions: Tedkidd
The number is listed on the Tesla site in the support section, under delivery: 888-771-2505

When you call Option 1 is non-confirmed orders, Option 2 - finalized ones. Tried option 2 and it kept going to VoiceMail, I left one after about a dozen tries, still waiting for that call back. I then chose Option 1 and gothe connected after some time on hold.

The answer was not what you would like, as I mentioned above my DS was much more optimistic about the possibility of putting the change through.

Good luck to both of us! I'm also slightly jealous of our frugal brethren that ordered the 70D and got a free upgrade to 75...
Are we certain they are just giving the extra 5 kwh of battery for free? Historically with TM they will software limit your charging to a 70 kwh capacity and the your last 5 kwh could be purchased for a few thousand dollars. This was the case with the 500 or so people who ordered the 40kwh MS and got a 60 kwh MS but could not utilize the additional battery pack unless they paid the difference.

I have until Friday to make any change on my 90D saved design/

I think 13k (86k vs 99k) is substantial saving (air suspension and auto pilot in both configs) and I will switch and probably get delayed further.

Any idea how much weight is saved by smaller capacity battery?

Hey I "happily" drive of Ford Focus EV (23kwh battery, 80 mile range) and the battery is a substantial weight factor.

Another question: does the air suspension allow this to be used as an SUV? I live in the woods and I could use more ground clearance.

A fair point to consider, but persinally, I would not even begin to speculate on the resale value as we all suspect the 100D is not too far in the future. Plus, as my Finance professor said in college many moons ago: always consider the present value of money - a dollar today is always worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

For theTesla lease, the residuals on options are at 40% or so vs. >50% on the base price. I think they consider the bigger battery an option when calculating the residual value. I'm not 100% sure on this, but if true, it's another thing to think about when pondering cost savings from downgrading to 75D from 90D.

That's unfortunate but keep in mind that your resale value down the line may be around $5-8k more if you kept the 90 over the 75.

Today the 12th is my last date of the 7 days change period to do the changes for my configuration. I originally picked 90d on very first day with 7 seats, premium, autopilot, subzero weather, tow pack. The total was $11750k.

This afternoon I saw 75d announced. The price in my order page for 75d is still $80000 instead of $83000. It seems like a $3000 gift. I then updated the order from 90d to 75d with exactly same options plus manually select the $2500 Air suspension. The total comes up is $97650 plus delivery. Thats $13000 saving for just 20 miles difference. I have a corvett and I hardly try the full 0-60 acceleration and I'm trade it for mc. I'm happy with the $13000 saving.

My only concern it. The my configuration page which will lock tonight, is showing 75d, but the range is still the old 220 mile and 140 top speed. I read the forum saw a post that tesla might lock those usage to se as 70d to buyer who only paid the $80000 price for 70d, and want us to pay $$$ to unlock the extra 5kwh which sucks.

A fair point to consider, but persinally, I would not even begin to speculate on the resale value as we all suspect the 100D is not too far in the future. Plus, as my Finance professor said in college many moons ago: always consider the present value of money - a dollar today is always worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

I think Pjjava was including the hypothetical $7500 (edit - $5000) haircut, not the $500 one. Following the line of thought, keeping the 90 only costs about $10k which is pretty close to the hypothetical incremental residual at sale, so your cost of the much more valuable car is only the interest on $10k - which the battery and air suspension use value is likely to exceed.

Imo, based upon your tone, the $500 sacrifice is a no brainer - the $5000... not so much.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Scrith
Sorry, I don't follow the point on haircuts. The Air Suspension is not a factor for my calculations, since I have no need for towing and my driveway is level so I won't need to regularly raise the car.

It's forced on the folks ordering a 90kwh battery for the MX making the effective cost $2500 more, when compared to MS, which doesn't require Air Suspension to order the 90. In my particular situation, I was leaning towards the 70D, but the 37 mile difference in range was the deciding factor when I pulled the trigger on 90D.

I feel that paying $3k for add'l 17 miles of range is a much better value than $15.5k for 37 miles (approx $175/mile vs $420/mile of extra range or $350/mile if you take the $2500 Air Suspension charge out of the equation)

Is 90D going to be worth more at resale than a 75D? No doubt about it, but the 75D is a much better value in $/mile of range, especially considering that going up a battery size only nets 20 miles of extra range now.

I think Pjjava was including the hypothetical $7500 haircut, not the $500 one. Following the line of thought, keeping the 90 only costs about $8k which is also the hypothetical residual at sale, so your cost of the much more valuable car is only the interest on $8k - which the battery and air suspension use value is likely to exceed.

Ideally, I'd like to change the order and have the $500 fee waived, since it's not a frivolous "oops changed my mind" change, but more of an entirely new battery/range option is now available about 55 hours after my order was confirmed. My DS doesn't seem to think that waiver is gonna happen though, and I already see the pending $500 charge on my credit card.

If it costs me $500 to downgrade to the options I was originally leaning towards anyway, I'm OK with it. It's paying $500 to save $15000 for me at the end of the day, with the trade-offer being 20 miles of lost range. Hope that makes sense.

The point is do you have to pay a change order, or do you have to give up your deposit and reorder?

You are incorrectly assuming that the car will let you use the full 90kWh (which would permanently damage the battery). It won't. Rated Wh/mile is 340 on the P90D, I can confirm that as the rated and average lines are directly superimposed on the graph at 340Wh/mile, at 339 Wh/mile the average line is below the rated line and at 341 Wh/mile the average line is above the rated line.

I pretty consistently hit near 340 Wh/mile over the course of 100-200 miles of mixed highway city driving at no more than 70mph. If I go to range mode I can get into the high 200's

I did some research and the battery weight saving of downsizing from P90 to P75 is around 200lbs
That is 3% of the GVWR (6768lbs).

Does not sound like a lot but at low driving speeds and lots of hills it probably would be a similar savings in wh/mile.
and explain why the range of the P75 is closer to the P90 than the battery capacities would suggest
Good I have 3 more days before my order is firm