Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs P90D acceleration curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any info on Model X 90D vs P90D acceleration curves? Obviously Tesla publish the 0-60mph times, but I'm curious on how to interpolate this to other speeds (ie, 0-40 and 0-50 times). From what I can gather the acceleration isn't linear.

I don't intend to go drag racing and rarely am I going to want to overshoot 60mph by much :)

I don't have any curves, but I did test drive a 90D and the acceleration was plenty for my needs. It merged into traffic on the freeway better than any car I've ever driven and when we went to a road with no traffic and experimented accelerated from a dead stop, it jumped to 40 mph fast enough to make my stomach do back flips.

My SO would love a P90DL, she wanted to be a race car driver at one time. I'm happy with the 90D.

Thanks. This is a great thread that I hope gets some more input. I've ordered a 90D but am considering the upgrade to a P if I can "justify" the extra $$$ outlay. :D:p

Haha, I'd like to hear that justification/ROI. My friend with a P90DL S says he just pretends he writes a $1000 check every time he shows off ludicrous. I've got a X90D and when I first floored coming home with the wife in the passenger seat she said wow, that was "ridiculous". Then I told her how much I could have paid to make it insane or ludicrous (needless to say I got the look that I made the right choice). Friends laugh when I tell them my X is the slow version.

I'd like to see data for a P85 vs 90D. They are supposed to be pretty similar. Might be fun to throw in some other common sports cars as well and make some nifty graphs.

Great idea - I've been digging around but haven't found this yet for the Model S. Closest I found was a drag racing video of a Model S 90D vs a P90D. No data, but it shows the P90D (unsurprisingly) pulling ahead pretty quickly.

I have a 90D as well and the acceleration is more than adequate. Question for 90D/P90D owners. When you launch from a standstill, does the rear of the car "squat" significantly? I know this isn't a sports car, but I was surprised at how much the rear suspension compressed when hitting the accelerator pedal.

While I would love to see these curves, too, I want to report on my perceptions after test driving the MX today. I am currently driving a 2013 535i M-Sport, and was very impressed by the acceleration of the 90D I drove today. While 0-60 in 3.8 would be nice, the acceleration of the 90D was more than sufficient for me. I didn't even floor it and my family members commented on feeling like they were at Epcot's "Test Track" ride when I punched the acceleration.

I've owned muscle cars..and found the times I could stretch their legs was few and far between. now my needs are traffic related and not challenge fueled. this means I want 40-70 acceleration for passing power, not 0-60 drag brag. I call this maturity - but fuddy fits too. ( my spell check is really kicking in wrong tonight- sorry)

Reactions: brainhouston
When I test drove a Model S 90D they allowed me to open it up and feel the acceleration. I calculated later that it was about 0.6g. Nothing like a P90DL, but it was more acceleration than I've ever had in a car and my current car has a 5.7L V-8. My SO who grew up with sports cars thought it was OK compared to the sports cars she's driven.

All I want is the ability to pass on a two lane highway and be able to merge on the freeway with no concerns of getting lunched by a semi. The 90D is extremely well suited for that.

I don't have acceleration curves but I have had X90D max range, and it's has plenty of acceleration of the line and at highway speeds. We enjoy the acceleration, my daughter thinks we can launch into space going up small hills, and it can make my SO feel like he stomach got left behind. Test drive an SL and it was truly ludicrous, but for me the extra range seemed more valuable.

I have now put somewhat about 5,571 miles on my 90D. Here's my take. First, I've found that it literally explodes with acceleration from 30 to 70. It frankly doesn't explode off the line if there's any wheel slippage (sand or snow on road) but will jump surprisingly quickly if it's warm and traction is solid. I look in the rear view mirror and it's like other cars haven't even started to move. If I'm going to pass a semi on a two lane road and there is a car or two between me and the truck I signal and move out into the lane and then goose it as I don't want to hit them if they were to pull out. I'm very soon at 100 mph and backing off hoping no police are registering my speed. It's really great but, no kidding, my wife always wants me to tell her if I'm going to take off as she doesn't like getting her head banged against the headrest. She actually got a little neck pain one time but it didn't persist. She always grips the door handles. Seriously! Oh, I'm sure even more power would be even more of a rush. But practically?? Nada! The extra range is a nice bonus as are lower insurance rates. As time goes along and I'm really not needing to blow other drivers away. Maybe sounds weird but I'm really enjoying more nuanced power use, (that one-pedal driving is fun) ... and wonderful quiet ... great music and scenery pure joy!! Whatever...enjoy!!!

I did a test drive in a P90D and the test driver did a launch with 4 adults on board. The acceleration lifted my feet from the floorboard. If I was driving, I would not have been able to control the car during that insane acceleration. It also may me feel nauseous.
So - I can understand why some would like to have this power under their control - that test drive saved me thousands buy NOT buying a P car. Mine is quite adequate in providing the rush feeling

I did a test drive in a P90D and the test driver did a launch with 4 adults on board. The acceleration lifted my feet from the floorboard. If I was driving, I would not have been able to control the car during that insane acceleration. It also may me feel nauseous.
So - I can understand why some would like to have this power under their control - that test drive saved me thousands buy NOT buying a P car. Mine is quite adequate in providing the rush feeling

Yes, the driving experience in a Launch of a "P" can be UN-nerving. However, when driving -- an controlling the launch -- the sudden acceleration seems not as sudden. I keep my P90D (insane only), in 90D mode to lower my WpM and extend the range. Oddly, my unscientific test show the WpM is lower in Insane than Sport. Still playing with the settings.

Occasionally, thrilling a unsuspecting passenger is fun, but my next X will be 100D. That is really fast also and as you point out a lot cheaper.

I've had a 90D since March 2016 and roughly 20k km or 12.5k miles on it. A few observations over the year:

1. Acceleration from 0-30mph is fierce. 30-60 is fast and 60-90mph tapers off.( by taper I mean still a great torque pull just not as quick). I've had one c63 AMG race only once last summer with a guy who pulled up next to me on a straight away. I figured why not?! and while I was succcessfully ahead of the amg up to 60mph, the high performance Ice engine quickly gained and surpassed after that point. I'm not into drag at all however it was one instance to note transmission ratios providing the advantage to the traditional engine at higher speeds.

2. 90D's Handling and refined pull rather than brute force G's is something we thoroughly enjoy. The P90D we tested seemed to provide that slight head rush as the blood in the brain gets pushed back. After 2-3 of these we started feeling quesy as if on a constant roller coaster. Loved the power but practically would not want to induce sickness from time to time. P90D owners would beg to differ id bet!

3. Range is an interesting concern. I may leave my home at 410km avail (90% charge) and drive only 50km that day and the battery is down to 380km avail. Driving normally with traffic and no brisk driving. One heated seat, audio on and fan on. Reads a 120km drop in range for a 50km drive. Temperature is also a factor as we live in a Toronto and definitely less range in colder temp. However even in summer the actual range seems to always decrease faster than km driven. Makes one wonder how they determined initial range estimates to begin with. (No fan, no audio, very minimal power usage and driving 30mph?) glad we chose the highest range at the time.

All in all very happy to have the 90D as it seems to the the best balance of power, range, refined acceleration and $ value. The 100D now even better for the extra range. I'm sure P90D owners are equally as thrilled with their decision! One day I'd wish for Tesla to come up with some tweaks for the 90/100D and at least provide a slight bit of quicker speed ie. 4.4s reduced to 3.9s? It seems the company continually tweaks and refines power delivery from their 'P' models but don't pay much attention to the non P similarily!