Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D with 5 seats confirmed for nearly 2 months. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I am starting again from the beginning! Today my DS wrote that 5 seat is not available. I changed the order at 6 seat and wait, what the **** happens. :mad::( Originally informed me that my model X arrives august / september. Better information I got from teslamotorsclub.com, that I do not like. The email was no word of any apology. Pretty soon Tesla changes in a corporation that can not communicate with the customer. :(

I thought when I was hot and heavy for 5 seater I looked at modelxtracker and concluded there were not many 5 seat reservists. Looking today, out of 2000 records, only 55 of them are 5 seaters, or 4%. Not enough interest for TM to really care about the 5 seat people. My honest opinion is that TM is gonna make you all wait and wait and wait till you are sick of waiting and then move to a 6-7 seat version because they will never produce a variant with so little customer interest. Granted those who have ordered 5 seaters represent 100% of those interested in receiving a 5 seater, but the numbers are telling tesla that it is not worth their cost to engineer such a vehicle. Just my humble opinion folks.

Reactions: faktor
Not to call you out on it @faktor but I always thought the factory made a mistake with both you and @Harry C where they never intended to make a 5 seater for either of you. I know you had a VIN, but that 5 seat VIN will never be made. It looks to me like only 4% of modelxtracker cars are 5 seaters. Tesla is just not going to make a 5 seat car with so little interest....

I thought when I was hot and heavy for 5 seater I looked at modelxtracker and concluded there were not many 5 seat reservists. Looking today, out of 2000 records, only 55 of them are 5 seaters, or 4%. Not enough interest for TM to really care about the 5 seat people. My honest opinion is that TM is gonna make you all wait and wait and wait till you are sick of waiting and then move to a 6-7 seat version because they will never produce a variant with so little customer interest. Granted those who have ordered 5 seaters represent 100% of those interested in receiving a 5 seater, but the numbers are telling tesla that it is not worth their cost to engineer such a vehicle. Just my humble opinion folks.
You would think they would take it off the Design Studio rather than continuing to tell consumers it is available for order if thee was no intention to build it. I think they will produce a five seater. I believe it will have a folding seat and they don't want to start shipping it or share that information for fear of losing orders in 2016. They are trying to max. out quarterly/annual revenue. I withdrew my information from the tracker after a rude comment from one of the people who helps manage the site. He was so much more knowledgeable than me (sarcasm) and actually told me to cancel my reservation in April, just before the free upgrade came, and reorder. Totally out of line.

I do feel for you @beths11 . Knowing you are out of here for winter and in no rush, it's ultimately your call to wait or upgrade. Upgrade is guarantee for relatively quick delivery ( I went from upgrade to driving in 6 weeks in Denver), and staying where you are is a crap shoot. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk it through with my Tesla contact....

Not to call you out on it @faktor but I always thought the factory made a mistake with both you and @Harry C where they never intended to make a 5 seater for either of you. I know you had a VIN, but that 5 seat VIN will never be made. It looks to me like only 4% of modelxtracker cars are 5 seaters. Tesla is just not going to make a 5 seat car with so little interest....
I'm sure the interest was a lot more than 4%, but Tesla has been aggressively luring people to switch to the 6/7 seat variant over the past few months. It would be much higher if that model was available today. Tesla is skewing the numbers.

I feel like I am starting again from the beginning! Today my DS wrote that 5 seat is not available. I changed the order at 6 seat and wait, what the **** happens. :mad::( Originally informed me that my model X arrives august / september. Better information I got from teslamotorsclub.com, that I do not like. The email was no word of any apology. Pretty soon Tesla changes in a corporation that can not communicate with the customer. :(

Web site says "Late 2016 for new orders".

Also, I see that the only way not to get smart air suspension (SAS) is to get a 5-seater. One must order SAS for 6 and 7 seating. Is it that coils may not work well for the weight of 7-adults?

Last edited:
Is it that coils may not work well for the weight of 7-adults?

That doesn't make sense. You might have cargo that weighs more in a 5 seater.

More than likely, they won't have coil ready until they have the 5 seater ready. So you can only get coil with a 5 seater.

Disappointing. I ordered a 6 seater with coil in February and refused to upgrade to SAS. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while longer ...

Reactions: beths11
Technically they haven't reneged yet. I was always told Sep/Oct and I believe 5 seaters heard the same. Although it's looking extremely unlikely.

Also, it was a $5000 deposit :)
Depending on when you ordered. Shortly after the design studio went public, it dropped to $2500. The title of this thread is "confirmed for nearly two months". Of course a May/June confirmation has nothing on a Dec. '15 confirmation that came from a two or three year old reservation that's still waiting for a 5 seat and/or coil.

Based on the call I received from Tesla yesterday, I now have sufficient information to conclude my research on what Tesla Motors actually is, and what it is striving to be. The call from Tesla was basically an attempt to pacify me by offering up a slightly discounted and immediate delivery 90D with 6 seats, as opposed to the 90D with 5 seats I have had on order for over 2 years. Results are now conclusive. Tesla is not a board game, as I had surmised earlier. Tesla is in fact a game show. The specific genre by which the Tesla game show is conducted is best defined by Let's Make A Deal. The difference is that Monty Hall managed the show much more personably that Elon Musk, and it was much more fun to watch. I'm tired of the Tesla game show.

Let's Make a Deal or Let's Make a Tesla

Oh where, or where, is my Model X,
Oh where, or where, can it be?
The number of seats I ordered was five
And Tesla won't build one for me

They are moving forward to higher margins with the 100 battery pack and continue to push all 5 seat reservations to upgrade. At some future point they might cave and build a 5 seat car to satisfy a diminutive crowd of vperl and one or 2 others....but then again maybe not!

They are moving forward to higher margins with the 100 battery pack and continue to push all 5 seat reservations to upgrade. At some future point they might cave and build a 5 seat car to satisfy a diminutive crowd of vperl and one or 2 others....but then again maybe not!
At some point they may build a folding, five seat for those who cancelled orders because they didn't deliver on an important feature and attract those who are active, outdoor enthusiasts, no just kid haulers.

Today, August 25, is the venerable Monty Hall's 95 birthday. He never tried to pose as a scientist, rocket engineer, or automotive designer. Instead, he shared the fun of encouraging people to wonder about what was behind door number 1, door number 2, or door number 3.
In honor of his birthday, Monty Hall was today appointed Chairman and CEO of Space X (door #1), SolarCity (door #2), and Tesla (door #3), replacing Elon Musk. Musk has been doing a wonderful job at Space X, SolarCity, and Tesla, and we all appreciate his hard work and creative instincts. He will return as CEO and Chairman tomorrow, and will spend today doing research on the importance of getting the 5 seat Model X to market. He starts by assimilating these facts from the NHTSA:
1. Percentage of time a vehicle has 1 occupant: 32%
2. Percentage of time a vehicle has 2 occupants: 28%
3. Percentage of time a vehicle has 3 occupants: 19%
4. Percentage of time a vehicle has 4 occupants: 10%
5. Percentage of time a vehicle has 5 occupants: 9%
6. Percentage of time a vehicle has 6 occupants: >1%
7. Percentage of time a vehicle has 7 occupants: >1%

• Love