Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

918 miles and it happened.... M3P tire /wheel destroyed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
918 miles on the car and destroyed a wheel and tire. Hit a pothole on the interstate, not on AP. Currently waiting on tow truck.

What are my options for one M3P wheel and tire?

20200422_124922.jpg

Just buying a replacement wheel (and tire) from tesla is the easiest. If you want to try to save money, you could also scour threads / ebay / craigslist etc looking for someone selling one wheel, deal with finding and inspecting it, and getting it to someone to mount a tire, etc.

I didnt have the time or energy for all of that so just bought replacements (lost 2 wheels and tires due to potholes), from tesla. Was pretty painless that way, but certainly not cheap.

Ouch, sorry that happened. We've hit a few humdingers which I was sure was going to have the same result, but so far (knock on wood) they've held up. I'm ready for a new set of tires and I'm going to try a different size, if possible, with a bit more sidewall.

Reactions: Tron 3
Ouch. Sorry that happened to you.

So, tire experts, confirm or refute my hunch, which--being a hunch--is based on no data. I've always been glad to have 18s, figuring there's a lot more rubber between the wheel and a pothole than is the case with 20s. And that extra rubber gives more "give" or shock absorption or protection or whatever. 34,000 miles, and a few pothole encounters, and goin' strong. But is that a real thing?

So, tire experts, confirm or refute my hunch, which--being a hunch--is based on no data. I've always been glad to have 18s, figuring there's a lot more rubber between the wheel and a pothole than is the case with 20s. And that extra rubber gives more "give" or shock absorption or protection or whatever. 34,000 miles, and a few pothole encounters, and goin' strong. But is that a real thing?
I don’t have any scientific data to back it up but I believe you’re right. More rubber sidewall between the rim and an object = more protection for the rim.

Reactions: john5520
Tell us more about this pothole... was it the kind of impact that would have damaged any vehicle, not just a Tesla?
I had just merged over to the right lane to exit the interstate and there was a string of (probably 10+) 24" long by 1-2" deep+ potholes. Unavoidable. The drivers front and rear hit. It was a massive hit and I do worry about the strut and other suspension components being bent or damaged. I've scheduled mobile service to come look at it and have a comprehensive claim started.

Having scraped a couple of curbs with my Tesla I have found it useful to have a spare wheel around so when one gets damaged I can swap it out to have it repaired. You can usually find wheels on Craigslist or eBay for about $250 or so. And if traveling away from home you could put the wheel (with tire) in the trunk so you aren't stranded too long.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
From the pic, I don't see a destroyed rim, just a destroyed tire. The hit was right on the area of the spoke, which is the strongest part of the rim, so your rim may be ok structurally. It may have slight cosmetic damage, which is a lot less to fix than a new rim. You can have a mobile rim repair touch up the rim if you don't like DIY.

Confirm. That's why I stayed with 18 this time around. Too many of that same kind of damage before with the bigger ones. I've even had a shallow pothole kill two tires (same side) at 5 mph in gridlock. I'd hit quite a few with the 18's, some fairly deep, and not at slow speeds and so far have help up without even the slightest visable damage.

From the pic, I don't see a destroyed rim, just a destroyed tire. The hit was right on the area of the spoke, which is the strongest part of the rim, so your rim may be ok structurally. It may have slight cosmetic damage, which is a lot less to fix than a new rim. You can have a mobile rim repair touch up the rim if you don't like DIY.

I don't see destroyed either, hard to say. But I do see damage and that may be what OP was referring too.

I don’t have any scientific data to back it up but I believe you’re right. More rubber sidewall between the rim and an object = more protection for the rim.

It's also not just about more or less rubber. The LP are often stiffer on the sides, which for hard hits causes them to split or tear much easier, often from the centerline out. This isn't quite what we see here but could be similarly related.

I don't see destroyed either, hard to say. But I do see damage and that may be what OP was referring too.

Not sure what you mean. The OP said, "...destroyed a wheel and tire...What are my options for one M3P wheel and tire?"

From that, it seems clear the OP is saying the rim was destroyed, and wants to spend big bucks on replacing it when it may not need replacing.

I'll just share what I think is an interesting data point here...take it for what it is worth. I recently purchased a demo '19 P3D+ (silver 20" wheels). The car had 1650 miles on it and drove great -- I was actually surprised how cushy the suspension was LOL. In any case, shortly after taking delivery I found a place to trade my silver 20" with the dark gray variant (they swap tires, TPMS, mount and rebalance). As the tech was wrapping up he asked me what I did to the factory wheels as 3 of them were bent?! Granted, it must have been very minor as the tire pressure was pretty consistent even with the 'bent' wheels and there was no perceptible vibration or other symptoms of bent wheels.

Bizarre, but perhaps what folks say here about this issue with the 20" Tesla wheels is true!