Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor $97K Porsche Exclusive paint color wrap on my new Plaid Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're in the market to order a new Porsche, there are a handful of colors that are "included" meaning these colors are offered at no additional charge. If you want their most exclusive color Porsche Python Green Chromaflair it has a pretty steep upcharge. $97k additional to be exact. Read this article published in the online community Rennlist. STEK-USA has created this limited edition production DYNOshift-green PPF Paint Protection Film to not only mimic these stunning looks, but also provide protection against rock chips, a self healing function that makes light swirl marks a thing of the past and is also hydrophobic making it super easy to clean and maintain. It's important to know that this is NOT vinyl. It will actually protect the paint, retain it's amazing gloss and look great years down the road. Vinyl is a PCV based film that fades, tears, heat shrinks and peels. Not something I would recommend on anything for long term usage.

When I ordered my Model S, I knew I was going to do a fun wrap on the car, but I was not sure exactly which color I would choose. Because of this, I chose my Tesla to come in black, this will help to hide seams, edges and any exposed areas of the car that would stand out like a sore thumb if I had chosen the factory white color. I know it's critically important to wrap the car by negating as many seams as possible and my team at Metropolitan Detail nailed it, but if I needed absolute perfection, the doors would need to be removed, door jambs wrapped, and at some point it may be cheaper just opting for the $97k option from Porsche by painting the car. This wrap however is complete reversible. In one day I can simply remove all of the film and return the S to it's former factory glory.

I had the opportunity to see another car wrapped in this film only a couple of months ago while at the SEMA show and my mind was set. This completely set apart my Model S from the others on the road while also providing the very best in protection.

IMG_8425.jpg

Colby is tucking and wrapping the edges so it looks like a high quality paint job.
IMG_8525.jpg

Cesar and Colby removing the liner to expose the film's adhesive.
IMG_8535.jpg

The A team is transforming the Model S one sheet of film at a time.

This is one slick looking Model S Plaid. If you're interested in personalizing and protecting your Tesla, be sure to reach out to our team at:

Metropolitan Detail
www.metropolitandetail.com
IMG_8673.jpg
IMG_8686.jpg
IMG_8684.jpg

We also added STEK DYNOshadow on the taillights and we applied the STEK DYNOshift-green on the TESLA letters on the back. What do you think?

Up next we will be tinting the windows with STEK NEXseries window tint with graphene and I will be applying STEK DYNOflex windshield protection film.

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 15.15.45.png

I do also love that I can change the color in the app to mimic it's new style.

John Kleven
Metropolitan Detail
Redmond, WA

Attachments

• IMG_8712.jpg
    IMG_8712.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_8715.jpg
    IMG_8715.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 203
@Mrbrock

Care to share what the PM said? I oh so love companies that are super cagey about talking about prices. I get that each car is unique, but there are four different models of Tesla vehicles, I highly doubt one Tesla would be $4,500 and another would be $15,000 or something. They probably could post "Hey, the price is usually $5,000 to $6,000 but can go higher if there is more prep work that needs done..."

:rolleyes:

Reactions: PLUS EV
@Mrbrock

Care to share what the PM said? I oh so love companies that are super cagey about talking about prices. I get that each car is unique, but there are four different models of Tesla vehicles, I highly doubt one Tesla would be $4,500 and another would be $15,000 or something. They probably could post "Hey, the price is usually $5,000 to $6,000 but can go higher if there is more prep work that needs done..."

:rolleyes:
I understand what you are saying but as they sent something private they obviously wish to keep the exact cost that way. I don't agree as they are advertising something on a forum so they should throw a number up with "price subject to change due to application being different on different cars." You are welcome to inquire and get a true cost. I will say the film is different than vinyl and apparently very limited so only 250 cars are being done, fwiw. Here is a random article from the web talking about costs. This article would appear to be an underestimation based on limited availability and extra cost of the material.

1646785507267.png

I understand what you are saying but as they sent something private they obviously wish to keep the exact cost that way. I don't agree as they are advertising something on a forum so they should throw a number up with "price subject to change due to application being different on different cars." You are welcome to inquire and get a true cost. I will say the film is different than vinyl and apparently very limited so only 250 cars are being done, fwiw. Here is a random article from the web talking about costs. This article would appear to be an underestimation based on limited availability and extra cost of the material.

View attachment 778517
OK I'm happy to reply with open public pricing but it's important to explain that our shop does not do $7k PPF wraps. A full clear PPF wrap with STEK DYNOshield in our shop for any model Tesla is $9K plus the cost of replacement badges. The only reason we are able to install a Tesla wrap for this price is because the application is less time intensive than super cars like Ferrari's, McLaren etc. A full vehicle wrap takes about a week to complete for a Tesla, but more complex cars like Porsche's, McLaren etc can take 2 weeks for a quality job and we must charge accordingly. Our installation is fully custom, this means we have highly skilled and paid technicians who work tirelessly to tuck and hide seams and you can expect us to stand behind our work 100%. To date we have fully wrapped almost 500 Tesla's so obviously there are plenty of people who care about quality over quantity. We like to say that 10% of the work takes 90% of the time. This is referring to the finishing work to tuck and hide edges so your installation looks like nothing is even there.

This limited film however adds another level of technicality in the installation and the cost of the film is about 4x normal PPF pricing and if you want to be one of 250 cars wrapped in this film the cost is $15k.

Some people's jaws may drop at such a price to wrap a car, others will appreciate the craftsmanship. I'm ok with this. There are buyers for all cars from Beetles to Bentleys. We have catered to a more niche market since 2006.

OK I'm happy to reply with open public pricing but it's important to explain that our shop does not do $7k PPF wraps. A full clear PPF wrap with STEK DYNOshield in our shop for any model Tesla is $9K plus the cost of replacement badges. The only reason we are able to install a Tesla wrap for this price is because the application is less time intensive than super cars like Ferrari's, McLaren etc. A full vehicle wrap takes about a week to complete for a Tesla, but more complex cars like Porsche's, McLaren etc can take 2 weeks for a quality job and we must charge accordingly. Our installation is fully custom, this means we have highly skilled and paid technicians who work tirelessly to tuck and hide seams and you can expect us to stand behind our work 100%. To date we have fully wrapped almost 500 Tesla's so obviously there are plenty of people who care about quality over quantity. We like to say that 10% of the work takes 90% of the time. This is referring to the finishing work to tuck and hide edges so your installation looks like nothing is even there.

This limited film however adds another level of technicality in the installation and the cost of the film is about 4x normal PPF pricing and if you want to be one of 250 cars wrapped in this film the cost is $15k.

Some people's jaws may drop at such a price to wrap a car, others will appreciate the craftsmanship. I'm ok with this. There are buyers for all cars from Beetles to Bentleys. We have catered to a more niche market since 2006.
$9k is a bit high compared to some other "good" shops, but the quality from Metropolitan Detail might justify that price. I personally can't speak to that though, but I appreciate the transparency now! That's also not absolutely out of the realm of cost, I think I paid about $7,000 or so a couple years ago (before inflation literally exploded) from another shop so again, not out of the range of prices.

The price of that special film is crazy though. I get that it's limited, but ouch, lol

I like how it is not just a vinyl that doesn't protect the paint though... I seriously would have paid a little extra if I could have picked some crazy (not limited) color AND got the benefit from PPF a couple years ago before I did full body clear PPF!

$9k is a bit high compared to some other "good" shops, but the quality from Metropolitan Detail might justify that price. I personally can't speak to that though, but I appreciate the transparency now! That's also not absolutely out of the realm of cost, I think I paid about $7,000 or so a couple years ago (before inflation literally exploded) from another shop so again, not out of the range of prices.

The price of that special film is crazy though. I get that it's limited, but ouch, lol

I like how it is not just a vinyl that doesn't protect the paint though... I seriously would have paid a little extra if I could have picked some crazy (not limited) color AND got the benefit from PPF a couple years ago before I did full body clear PPF!
We appreciate this feedback. This film is a bit crazy for sure, but this also keeps it more limited and it's pretty unlikely your neighbor will have the same :)

Enjoy your weekend!