Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

98% for max charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that there is at least one module that is out of balance with the others and may be at a lower voltage, preventing you from hitting 100%. When charging, energy is distributed to all modules equally, and if the others are full, it will stop charging to prevent those from being overcharged. It would be worth a call to Tesla to ensure the pack is not failing.

My guess is that there is at least one module that is out of balance with the others and may be at a lower voltage, preventing you from hitting 100%. When charging, energy is distributed to all modules equally, and if the others are full, it will stop charging to prevent those from being overcharged. It would be worth a call to Tesla to ensure the pack is not failing.

That's why they have battery balancing, which is supposed to start any time the charge level goes above 93%, though they may be doing that at any charge state with the latest update. Alysashley79, you might want to check with Tesla through the app service request feature to make sure battery balancing is occurring, and ask them to perform additional diagnostics.

I'm curious to know what you find out!

It just started doing it recently. I’ve always been able to charge to 100%.
I thought the same thing maybe it’s just the computer is off but my miles are around 240 to 241 seen as high as 243. But this is only going to 234. Seems like a huge drop in a month so I don’t think it’s depredation.
I sent an email to service asking them to run a diag. I didn’t see a place in the app to request that?

It just started doing it recently. I’ve always been able to charge to 100%.
I thought the same thing maybe it’s just the computer is off but my miles are around 240 to 241 seen as high as 243. But this is only going to 234. Seems like a huge drop in a month so I don’t think it’s depredation.
I sent an email to service asking them to run a diag. I didn’t see a place in the app to request that?

You can always schedule the service under "charging" - in the description you can be more precise. Generally they will call you for clarification anyway.

I cant get passed 97%. I inquired about it and assume thats it due to bad charging habits which are preventing the battery pack to balance correctly. Im very sporadic with my charging (percentage, home charge, supercharge). I'm being more consistent with charging and will see what happens over the next few weeks. If I still can't get passed 97% I'll be making an appointment.

This also happened recently... I've charged to 100% several times over the summer.

I’ve never had this problem before. This is also my second Tesla and never seen it. So it’s either modules going bad or...it’s a firmware issue but I’d think that we’d be seeing it more and more across the board.

my car is charged to 90% daily and sometimes higher if it’s needed. With winter and snow at our home it’s been needed to go above 90. But again this is a habit we’ve always had.

I had a mobile tech come out today for a completely unrelated issue, and I brought up my cars inability to charge to 100%. I mentioned battery module/pack failure and he said that it was very unlikely since I don't have any lasting error codes on my screen. He said that he will have Tesla run a remote diag. to see if there are any issues. I did have error messages about a month ago after a supercharing session that said to bring my car into service and it may not re-start. They analyzed the error and could not find any problems. This happened twice in November, and hasnt happened since then.

I had a mobile tech come out today for a completely unrelated issue, and I brought up my cars inability to charge to 100%. I mentioned battery module/pack failure and he said that it was very unlikely since I don't have any lasting error codes on my screen. He said that he will have Tesla run a remote diag. to see if there are any issues. I did have error messages about a month ago after a supercharing session that said to bring my car into service and it may not re-start. They analyzed the error and could not find any problems. This happened twice in November, and hasnt happened since then.

Keep a log of date and time with photos of your dash anytime you have issues. And keep complaining. It took me 5 complaints