Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

98% for max charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last fall, for the first time attempted a 100% charge. I had gone to 93% three times before. This time, with later updates, the fans came on hard and were screaming, so I was only over 95% for a few minutes, stopped at 99%.

I think my HV pack is in good shape, lost less than 2% in 4.5 years and 33k miles

Last fall, for the first time attempted a 100% charge. I had gone to 93% three times before. This time, with later updates, the fans came on hard and were screaming, so I was only over 95% for a few minutes, stopped at 99%.

I think my HV pack is in good shape, lost less than 2% in 4.5 years and 33k miles
33k miles in 4.5 years? Wow
When I bought my first tesla I put on over 40k in the first year! I couldn’t believe all the needless driving I was doing, but it was such a new and awesome experience that sometimes id just go for random hour long drives.

Reactions: Alysashley79
Did you hear anything about your remote diag?

No i didn’t. I’ll email them Monday morning and see.
As a side note I had a door handle replaced a week and a half ago and 1/4 times the door doesn’t completely latch like there’s something getting stuck. So guessing the “fix” isn’t fixed. So will have to go in for that and will have them run full diag while there

My remote diag came back ok. They’ll run it again in a few weeks. They think it’s a calibration issue and gave me some instructions to try to get it back.

in addition to not going above 98% it’s like I’ve lost 2% across the board. My new 90 is now 88%. So I’ll run the calibration again and hope it works. Otherwise I’ll take it in for more testing.

Hi All!

I charged at the local Supercharger yesterday's sunny afternoon, which eventually became pitch black.... 2Hours 30 minutes to go from 11% to 98%, although set to 100%, which I have never had a problem reaching before.. Highest was 53Kw for a few seconds. I am on 2019.402.3, with 32K miles on the 85S (G).

Service did remote testing, or so they texted me and said there was "no problem" with the battery. I asked when they would, if at all basically, say 10hours to get the same charge as above, but ne response yet. I also asked for my Vmax and what I was capped at 98%.

I did hear a high pitched whistle, seemingly from the center front of the car-near trhe main display, when I started to charge until 20 minutes in and then at 1 hour 15 minutes into charging. Not at all like the fans, which I used to hear frequently ,after I first bought the car late 2014, at supercharging sites.

Any advice-photos of charging screens taken, of course.

Thank you very much

FURY

Hi All!

I charged at the local Supercharger yesterday's sunny afternoon, which eventually became pitch black.... 2Hours 30 minutes to go from 11% to 98%, although set to 100%, which I have never had a problem reaching before.. Highest was 53Kw for a few seconds. I am on 2019.402.3, with 32K miles on the 85S (G).

Service did remote testing, or so they texted me and said there was "no problem" with the battery. I asked when they would, if at all basically, say 10hours to get the same charge as above, but ne response yet. I also asked for my Vmax and what I was capped at 98%.

I did hear a high pitched whistle, seemingly from the center front of the car-near trhe main display, when I started to charge until 20 minutes in and then at 1 hour 15 minutes into charging. Not at all like the fans, which I used to hear frequently ,after I first bought the car late 2014, at supercharging sites.

Any advice-photos of charging screens taken, of course.

Thank you very much

FURY
It sounds like you have the same issue I do. Running same software version on my 14 p85D

service told me to charge the car to 90% and let it sit at 90% for minimum 3 hours ideally overnight if possible. Do a deep drain below 20% and then repeat. Then test to see if I can get to 100% and back to my normal mileage. I charged to 90% yesterday and it sat for 4 hours then drove it down to 17% last evening. Will repeat tomorrow. Tho in my app the slider bar which yesterday sat 88% when it was at 90% today says 89%. So hopefully this is resolving itself.

It sounds like you have the same issue I do. Running same software version on my 14 p85D

service told me to charge the car to 90% and let it sit at 90% for minimum 3 hours ideally overnight if possible. Do a deep drain below 20% and then repeat. Then test to see if I can get to 100% and back to my normal mileage. I charged to 90% yesterday and it sat for 4 hours then drove it down to 17% last evening. Will repeat tomorrow. Tho in my app the slider bar which yesterday sat 88% when it was at 90% today says 89%. So hopefully this is resolving itself.
I am having the exact issue as you. And... I was just told to do the same thing. Charge to 90% let it sit overnight. Drain down to 30% or lower and then let that sit overnight. Then try charge again to 100%.

I can only charge to 97% on my RWD75 on 40.2.1. Combined with my 12% degradation at 53,000 miles I'm concerned about my battery. I'll log a service call and, in the meantime, start the protocol you've described. Since you're all a few weeks ahead of me I'd appreciate knowing if this resolved your issue?

I can only charge to 97% on my RWD75 on 40.2.1. Combined with my 12% degradation at 53,000 miles I'm concerned about my battery. I'll log a service call and, in the meantime, start the protocol you've described. Since you're all a few weeks ahead of me I'd appreciate knowing if this resolved your issue?

Well. No. It didn’t resolve anything. I charged to 90% let sit for 3+ hours. Drove it down to 14%. Charged it back up to 90% where it then sat for 4+ hours until my
Husband drove it the next day to work. He didn’t charge that day (we get free energy from his work) we then proceeded to drive it down to 6% and back up to 90%. Slider in the app shows 88% which is what it showed when I couldn’t get past 98%. I’ll be doing a deep cycle today (again) and will then attempt a max charge to see if I can achieve 100%.

if that doesn’t work I’ll be making an appointment at the service center for them to do more diagnostics. there are apparently two levels. Remote diagnostics and in service diagnostics. However 99% of the time issues can be seen over remote diagnostics. (Mine showed it was just fine) so...here we are.

*edited because there was another random quote in there.

I wonder if the work we are doing for TESLA or the delays for replacement of batteries, by repeated useless charging and recharging, which may actually be rather hazardous (fires), is just that.

I keep getting non substantive responses from the TESLA service person via text that :

"We have completed the test of your battery and found no issue." And similar texts from the service person. Do you receive the same responses? I suspect the above quote and similar are canned responses, sophomorically couched in "...the test...," whatever that test may be. I am sure someone can concoct a test that is a remote event and say "...found no issue.."

Thank you very much

FURY

Disregard

Attachments

• 130D598A-7A9F-4838-8418-2F9DA941C8B0.png
    130D598A-7A9F-4838-8418-2F9DA941C8B0.png
    705.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 50A1B7D4-2303-4F88-B295-7556AED7408D.png
    50A1B7D4-2303-4F88-B295-7556AED7408D.png
    706.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I wonder if this has anything to do with the latest update.. the part something about battery degredation improvements or monitoring or something like that.
I’m not sure. Service told me twice it’s a calibration issue not actually lost miles or percent. I’ve tried the deep cycle discharge but still won’t go past 98%. I’ve decided for now to just sit tight and see what happens over the next little bit.

service told me that the latest update should actually help to correct this issue. Except that’s when I started to notice it. Oh well for now

I’m not sure. Service told me twice it’s a calibration issue not actually lost miles or percent. I’ve tried the deep cycle discharge but still won’t go past 98%. I’ve decided for now to just sit tight and see what happens over the next little bit.

service told me that the latest update should actually help to correct this issue. Except that’s when I started to notice it. Oh well for now
Same, winter cold weather probably isnt helping either. What FW are you on? Im on 40.2.3