Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

98% for max charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It' not balancing. It is a thing that started to happen to a lot of cars. It is part of the software being extra careful about having the car being at near 100%. Not going to repeat the whole thing layd out in 400 pages in that other discussion. What's basically happening is that Tesla noticed having the battery at 100% is more harmful than initially thought and especially to older batteries. There are many measures Tesla implemented that reduces the battery charge level and rate and so on depending on how old a battery is and how much use it has seen. The car stopping to charge before it reaches 100% is one of those tings. I have seen this issue on my car as well. For some reason it is only happening on AC chargers. At superchargers it will always charge to 100%.

Tesla is telling everyone that comes to service that 'balancing' was the issue and recommend this nonsense routine where you have to discharge to low SoC and then charge to 90% or higher again for weeks or months. First of all, it is not balancing. I have monitored my pack via CAN bus for more than 3 years. Balancing has not changed ever. Regardless of my driving or charging pattern. It is as good as it was 3 years ago. It is very good in fact. Yet Tesla told me to do this rebalancing routine for 3-6 months. It's just their way to say, go away.

I find it pretty telling that Tesla is refusing to show any owner the results of their remote diagnostics. What car repair shop refuses to show a client their findings? When I questioned Tesla about it they instantly waived the fee for the diagnostics on my car.

It' not balancing. It is a thing that started to happen to a lot of cars. It is part of the software being extra careful about having the car being at near 100%. Not going to repeat the whole thing layd out in 400 pages in that other discussion. What's basically happening is that Tesla noticed having the battery at 100% is more harmful than initially thought and especially to older batteries. There are many measures Tesla implemented that reduces the battery charge level and rate and so on depending on how old a battery is and how much use it has seen. The car stopping to charge before it reaches 100% is one of those tings. I have seen this issue on my car as well. For some reason it is only happening on AC chargers. At superchargers it will always charge to 100%.

Tesla is telling everyone that comes to service that 'balancing' was the issue and recommend this nonsense routine where you have to discharge to low SoC and then charge to 90% or higher again for weeks or months. First of all, it is not balancing. I have monitored my pack via CAN bus for more than 3 years. Balancing has not changed ever. Regardless of my driving or charging pattern. It is as good as it was 3 years ago. It is very good in fact. Yet Tesla told me to do this rebalancing routine for 3-6 months. It's just their way to say, go away.

I find it pretty telling that Tesla is refusing to show any owner the results of their remote diagnostics. What car repair shop refuses to show a client their findings? When I questioned Tesla about it they instantly waived the fee for the diagnostics on my car.
Thanks for taking the time to put 400 posts into a condensed explanation. Kinda shitty that this happened to our cars. I understand the decision behind it (save battery longevity, reduce fire risk etc...) but it's hardly an adequate solution when you think about modifying the cars we purchased with certain expectations in mind. Its like buying a F150 with a 30 gallon tank and Ford snuck into your driveway and replaced it with a 25 gallon tank, without your permission. Feels real shitty.

Thanks for taking the time to put 400 posts into a condensed explanation. Kinda shitty that this happened to our cars. I understand the decision behind it (save battery longevity, reduce fire risk etc...) but it's hardly an adequate solution when you think about modifying the cars we purchased with certain expectations in mind. Its like buying a F150 with a 30 gallon tank and Ford snuck into your driveway and replaced it with a 25 gallon tank, without your permission. Feels real shitty.

It is a messed up situation. What it comes down to is that Tesla has put themselves in a cul-de-sac. They pushed the battery packs to the limit well knowing what they did. It was a calculated decision. They knew a few would push the car every day and those batteries would fail and be replaced. The vast majority would drive like a normal person and not stress the battery too much making it passed the 8 year warranty. Having the best range, quickest acceleration and fastest charge rate would give them a significant advantage over the competition. Quietly they reduced the charge rate of the car little by little over the years hoping people wouldn't notice. I think Tesla got caught off guard when the fires happened and upon further investigation they realized the batteries are aging faster than expected and they released all these software limitations on the fleet. Some just to specific cars, others affecting every car.

We laugh at the other EV makers and how conservative their range, performance and charge rates are. No one is pushing it that far because they all have extensive experience in warranty claims when millions of cars are sold. Especially with a large, expensive battery, the potential cost could get the company is serious trouble.

The frustrating part is Tesla's lack of communication, all along. I wish they would have warned us of the effects of Supercharging and 100% charge clearly. But they didn't want to. In fact they never talked about anything that would even remotely hint that you should be easy on the battery. That would have cast a shadow on Tesla's superiority in the EV world and hurt sales.

It is a messed up situation. What it comes down to is that Tesla has put themselves in a cul-de-sac. They pushed the battery packs to the limit well knowing what they did. It was a calculated decision. They knew a few would push the car every day and those batteries would fail and be replaced. The vast majority would drive like a normal person and not stress the battery too much making it passed the 8 year warranty. Having the best range, quickest acceleration and fastest charge rate would give them a significant advantage over the competition. Quietly they reduced the charge rate of the car little by little over the years hoping people wouldn't notice. I think Tesla got caught off guard when the fires happened and upon further investigation they realized the batteries are aging faster than expected and they released all these software limitations on the fleet. Some just to specific cars, others affecting every car.

We laugh at the other EV makers and how conservative their range, performance and charge rates are. No one is pushing it that far because they all have extensive experience in warranty claims when millions of cars are sold. Especially with a large, expensive battery, the potential cost could get the company is serious trouble.

The frustrating part is Tesla's lack of communication, all along. I wish they would have warned us of the effects of Supercharging and 100% charge clearly. But they didn't want to. In fact they never talked about anything that would even remotely hint that you should be easy on the battery. That would have cast a shadow on Tesla's superiority in the EV world and hurt sales.
I would really love to just have a definitive answer on some things. One of the major reasons I purchased my Model S was because superchargers went up a mile from my house. My research showed, at the time, that frequent supercharging had little detrimental effect on the batter (degredation / health). So I made my purchase with the mindset that 90% of my charging would be done at the superchargers around the corner from my home. I know this doesnt sound very convenient to most, but I'm a numbers guy, and my financial planning (reasoning) came down to savings on gas AND electricity (although cheaper than gas). Now, supercharging is crippled and it could be killing my battery? I just don't know how to handle this battery anymore for the sake of longevity.

here’s my question to a few of the responses this thread has gotten?

how long have you owned your Tesla?

I had a p85 back in 2013. I’d taken that test drive when you literally had to fork over $5k just to get a test drive. I was an early adopter. When I purchased my original car we were told.....ONLY max charge for road trips or if you actually NEED the extra miles otherwise 90% is the “ideal” daily charge. We were also told. Only supercharge on road trips. Which for us at the time was a no brainee beings the closest Super to anyone in the Seattle area was chehalis or ellenaburg. So not a quick drive by. No. They never came out and said. Don’t do this because it will hurt the battery. Or don’t do this because it could cause us to throttle the supers speeds etc. BUT we also followed what they told us. When we sold our car back to Tesla in 2016 it had 80k on the odo. And had only lost 1 mile

my current car I purchased new b I know that it was rarely charged at a super. I believe it was like 6 times in its life. And had 30k on the odo. It had also only lost 9 miles in degredation. (12/14 build)

assuming I can get back to 100% I’d still be at 9 miles lost and have almost 53k on the odo. Super’d around 6 times in my 8 months of ownership.

Trust me. I’m NOT just a Tesla fanboy (girl) that thinks they can do no wrong. They can. They have. They will. But I also don’t think that these packs fail in a super high percentage.

I’ve tried to max charge my car three times every single time it stops at 98% and says charge complete. When I try to get it going again it won’t. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have the same issue. It’s Tesla causing it. On some older cars, Tesla capped the charging rates. Theirs a class action suit on this. If I’m correct, you’re rated mile we’re reduced as well and Tesla’s response is to say it’s normal degradation.

I have the same issue. It’s Tesla causing it. On some older cars, Tesla capped the charging rates. Theirs a class action suit on this. If I’m correct, you’re rated mile we’re reduced as well and Tesla’s response is to say it’s normal degradation.

no my rated miles weren’t reduced. I read all about people that lost miles drastically overnight. I was fortunately not yet one of those people. Brand spanking new off the showroom floor my car should have been able to max charge to 253. Up until the last update I could still get 242. So around a 4% degredation. On a 5 year old car/battery. I’m pleasantly happy with that. My literal only gripe right now is I can’t get past 98%. I did download 2020.4.1 last night. My first update of 2020 and as of right now my app slider shows I can charge to 100% which it’s only been showing 98% as the max for weeks. I’ll be doing a max charge here in the next couple days to see what I can actually get. Maybe it was a glitch in their software. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: What Gas
I would really love to just have a definitive answer on some things. One of the major reasons I purchased my Model S was because superchargers went up a mile from my house. My research showed, at the time, that frequent supercharging had little detrimental effect on the batter (degredation / health). So I made my purchase with the mindset that 90% of my charging would be done at the superchargers around the corner from my home. I know this doesnt sound very convenient to most, but I'm a numbers guy, and my financial planning (reasoning) came down to savings on gas AND electricity (although cheaper than gas). Now, supercharging is crippled and it could be killing my battery? I just don't know how to handle this battery anymore for the sake of longevity.

I don't think supercharging is the main culprit. I have supercharged very much and had 240k miles on my car before I got capped. Basically I supercharged way more than many others that got capped before me. It sure has an effect but I don't think as much as as high charge level. Granted I only have my car's data for my theory but what I have done rigorously since day one was trying to keep the SoC low over time. Meaning I didn't charge more than I needed the next day. I delayed charging at night to have it finish just in time in the morning. I let the car sit at low SoC if I didn't need it. I think that got my car to such a high mileage despite supercharging almost daily. I also live in a warm climate so I had all kinds of factors against me (in terms of battery health).

Trust me. I’m NOT just a Tesla fanboy (girl) that thinks they can do no wrong. They can. They have. They will. But I also don’t think that these packs fail in a super high percentage.

Yes the number of cars actually affected is small right now. Mostly because the majority of people are using their cars not enough to push the battery to the point where it needs the bandaid. I believe that was exactly the calculated risk Tesla made in the beginning. They knew they were pushing the batteries too far in terms of charging, capacity and performance. But they knew most people will drive their cars normal and not put many miles on it. Basically they drive their cars within the safe and moderate limits to keep the batteries last very long. But it turns out the number of people who use their cars much more are now seeing the effects. The more you drive the more likely tyou will see your battery get 'sick' eventually.

Reactions: What Gas
Nothing good can happen to your HV pack by doing a 100% charge, at least on the older packs. If your BMS is out of balance, going to 70-80% will rebalance.

I did a SuC test a few days ago after 40.9.2 update, charged to 80% first time in months. I store at 57%.

Picked up a few miles. Rated range now 269 out of 270!

My 2018 Model 3 Performance is having the same issue. The app slider doesn’t let me select more than 98% charge. Any idea how to solve that? The car has 16k miles and the battery usually is set at max 50% charge since March.

If it's the mobile app slider then this is probably just a cold battery. The car UI and mobile app shows the temperature adjusted SOC. The slider also shows the temperature-adjusted SOC. When you heat the battery the end of the slider should be 100%.