Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

98% for max charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is most current response for my issue.

Hello Dan, A technician has completed a diagnosis of your concern and provided the following results; The customer has a slight battery cell SOC imbalance. Looking at the vehicle the customer lowered the charging termination percent to 90% and allowed the vehicle sit connected to the charger for approx. 5 hours. After this we see the imbalance begin to close however while this is the correct method to rebalance a vehicle the amount of time allowed (once for 5 hours) is insufficient in length of time. The process below needs to be repeated every day for 30-90 days and for as long as possible each day. Deep discharging will only increase the range estimate in miles and will not influence the batteries capacity or cell balance. Let the vehicle rest at 90% SOC. Set the charge slider to 90%. Keep the vehicle plugged in for several hours after it reports a complete charge and says it has stopped charging. This will cause the pack to rebalance.

So Dan, you need to perform this daily maintenance on your car to fix it. Remind me again who the technicians here are?

I picked up my car Friday. They scanned the hv battery and all the modules are coming back ok. They said that they think that my issue is because of HOW I charge my car. I don’t charge at home as most do. I have my car set to start charging an hour before I leave in the am so I have a warm battery and cabin (winter only) then it gets charged at work to 90%. It’s usually complete about 30-40 minutes before I leave for the day. Then while it’s plugged in at home it won’t start charging until the following day (unless I need an extra boost) with covid I don’t even charge it on the weekends just drive it when I need it and then charge back up Monday morning. It’s charged on an l2 so the amps are good.

they advised me of the same. To try charging at home for two weeks and allow it to charge to 90% and let it sit overnight.

may this point I don’t want to be messing with having to do this because it’s so cold AND I descend 1500’ on my way to work I need the regen. I’ll give it a shot in the spring when it’s warmer and don’t need that hour of charging in the am.

I picked up my car Friday. They scanned the hv battery and all the modules are coming back ok. They said that they think that my issue is because of HOW I charge my car. I don’t charge at home as most do. I have my car set to start charging an hour before I leave in the am so I have a warm battery and cabin (winter only) then it gets charged at work to 90%. It’s usually complete about 30-40 minutes before I leave for the day. Then while it’s plugged in at home it won’t start charging until the following day (unless I need an extra boost) with covid I don’t even charge it on the weekends just drive it when I need it and then charge back up Monday morning. It’s charged on an l2 so the amps are good.

they advised me of the same. To try charging at home for two weeks and allow it to charge to 90% and let it sit overnight.

may this point I don’t want to be messing with having to do this because it’s so cold AND I descend 1500’ on my way to work I need the regen. I’ll give it a shot in the spring when it’s warmer and don’t need that hour of charging in the am.
The saga continues... I guess, at least, your battery is good and its just a BMS issue.

In my experience not charging to 100%, and stopping at 97%-99% is just because the battery is a bit cold. if you turn the heating/preconditioning on when it gets to about 96% then it will warm right up and carry on to 100%. For some reason the BMS can't automatically do this to actually achieve the 100% charge. Also, if you miss it, and it stops at say 97%, then there is nothing you can do to get it to start again (even by heating the battery, dropping the % slider and bringing it up again, unplugging and plugging in again, nothing!). My car will never make it to 100% (except in warm summer) without turning the heating on, but always manages it if I do. Not sure what the chemistry reason is for it, but it's known batteries aren't all that happy in the cold, maybe that last 0.05v is too much on a cold cell?
It would be really helpful if the car realised this though and only attempted to do the last bit of charge in the last 1/2 hour before your scheduled departure, while the cabin heating was on, but it tries at 6am, stops at 97%, then can't start again at 7:30 when the preconditioning comes on!

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
In my experience not charging to 100%, and stopping at 97%-99% is just because the battery is a bit cold. if you turn the heating/preconditioning on when it gets to about 96% then it will warm right up and carry on to 100%. For some reason the BMS can't automatically do this to actually achieve the 100% charge. Also, if you miss it, and it stops at say 97%, then there is nothing you can do to get it to start again (even by heating the battery, dropping the % slider and bringing it up again, unplugging and plugging in again, nothing!). My car will never make it to 100% (except in warm summer) without turning the heating on, but always manages it if I do. Not sure what the chemistry reason is for it, but it's known batteries aren't all that happy in the cold, maybe that last 0.05v is too much on a cold cell?
It would be really helpful if the car realised this though and only attempted to do the last bit of charge in the last 1/2 hour before your scheduled departure, while the cabin heating was on, but it tries at 6am, stops at 97%, then can't start again at 7:30 when the preconditioning comes on!
I’ll give it a shot but saw the same behavior over the summer

My 2 month old 2023 Y long range does this too.
If this is the case you might want to bring it up to tesla. Mine was happening on an older MS which slowly over time wouldn’t go past 96%soc at max. Around that time my HV completely died and had to be replaced. It’s back to 100%

Also my 1.5 year old 3 gets max charged daily and still goes to 100%. I don’t think you should be seeing this so early on.