Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

980 vs 990 motor settled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering this is about a limited number of AWD's (980's) produced in a certain time period - I think 40k could be a pretty high number. Remember, the AWD was not the first model 3 introduced, it was the LR RWD, then AWD and then the MR RWD. I recall looking at a public order tracker spreadsheet and I think AWD was only around 40% of all orders when P3/LRRWD/MR/SR were all in the mix. I also think that uptake is naturally going to be low if the price is anything significant.
Remember that LR RWD was off menu, even unavailable, for a lot of this period.

+1. Anyone know how to tell?
Also @Zoomit so in all honesty I didn't read the whole thread so if this has already been said my apologies. But I too had a blank plate on my rear drive unit. I was pretty certain that I had a 980 du but wasn't 100% sure. I noticed while looking it some salvage du that it looked like the number was also on the top of the du. On the side that has the plate heat exchanger and the filter. So I got my scope out and was able to get some pictures. Not really clean but I think it shows 980-00-D so just FYI

Attachments

• 20-11-29 17:55:48.png
    20-11-29 17:55:48.png
    728.5 KB · Views: 631
  • 20-11-29 17:55:53.png
    20-11-29 17:55:53.png
    711.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 20-11-29 17:55:57.png
    20-11-29 17:55:57.png
    785.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 20-11-29 17:56:01.png
    20-11-29 17:56:01.png
    724.2 KB · Views: 328
C
Also @Zoomit so in all honesty I didn't read the whole thread so if this has already been said my apologies. But I too had a blank plate on my rear drive unit. I was pretty certain that I had a 980 du but wasn't 100% sure. I noticed while looking it some salvage du that it looked like the number was also on the top of the du. On the side that has the plate heat exchanger and the filter. So I got my scope out and was able to get some pictures. Not really clean but I think it shows 980-00-D so just FYI
Can you post a picture on a generic DU and circle the area in question?

I'd much rather them figure out how to make power more consistent across SOC than just having more raw power.
This.

Is it likely that the acceleration decline in 980 and probably 990 AWDs is just a fabricated software limitation for most of their curve? Because a P doesn't get to 4.2 seconds 0-60 until a very low SoC. So wouldn't that mean, if the hardware is the same in an AWD, that the AWD should have a flat line of performance until like 10% SoC where that same SoC Performance Model 3 would be at 4.2 seconds or so?

isn't just a straight up max amperage limit on how much it pulls from the pack? As SOC drops so does voltage so that same max amperage gets you less overall power.
yes but the battery is the same between the P and AWD. The P still does 4 second 0-60s at 10%SoC from user tests I've seen. The P having a curve obviously makes sense for the reasons you said. But the AWD having a curve doesn't seem to make sense because the P at 10% battery can get the 4 second 0-60 time which the AWD gets at 100% SoC.

In other words, did Tesla put an artificial curve on AWD, esp 980 ones, to just make the value proposition on the P better? I don't blame them for this necessarily as imagine how the impetus for a consumer to buy a P might drop if they have to weigh a performance degradation curve based on SoC vs a mostly flat line of consistent performance for an AWD... The calculus would no longer be 3.1 seconds vs 4.2 seconds but rather 4.2 seconds pretty much all the time vs 3.1 seconds some of the time and like 3.5 seconds or whatever some other part of the time... I can see why that doesn't feel quite as compelling.

In other words, did Tesla put an artificial curve on AWD, esp 980 ones, to just make the value proposition on the P better? I don't blame them for this necessarily as imagine how the impetus for a consumer to buy a P might drop if they have to weigh a performance degradation curve based on SoC vs a mostly flat line of consistent performance for an AWD... The calculus would no longer be 3.1 seconds vs 4.2 seconds but rather 4.2 seconds pretty much all the time vs 3.1 seconds some of the time and like 3.5 seconds or whatever some other part of the time... I can see why that doesn't feel quite as compelling.
The 990 motor has 6 less MOFSETS than the 980 motor. That’s why it’s less capable
0BF6C30A-3BA4-4757-8262-85626F01AEBE.jpeg

The 990 motor has 6 less MOFSETS than the 980 motor. That’s why it’s less capable
View attachment 613182

I don’t really see why that would matter when we’re talking about acceleration decline due to the battery’s state, not the motor’s state but I’m also not an electrical engineer so I defer to someone else here that is. But for simplicity let’s just talk about AWD’s with the 980 motor. Why does their acceleration decline when SoC declines? How is it that a P can still get a 3.9 second 0-60 at 20% SoC but an AWD at 20% becomes 4.15?

I don’t really see why that would matter when we’re talking about acceleration decline due to the battery’s state, not the motor’s state but I’m also not an electrical engineer so I defer to someone else here that is. But for simplicity let’s just talk about AWD’s with the 980 motor. Why does their acceleration decline when SoC declines? How is it that a P can still get a 3.9 second 0-60 at 20% SoC but an AWD at 20% becomes 4.15?
That would be all about software programming. Going from an AWD with Tesla Boost to P I can literally feel the “thrust” from 0-70 more pronounced during regular driving meaning the curve is much better low end but past 70 it stops pulling.

That would be all about software programming.
Well that’s kind of what I’m saying. Except I’m focusing on the SoC-performance curve right now between P and AWD w/ 980 not just both cars at max charge and clocking them. It doesn’t seem simply that output is limited on the AWD but also that it is limited even further with lower and lower SoC to create a curve where there would otherwise be a flat line of consistent acceleration across most of the SoC.

edit* perhaps I should make a separate thread about this line of inquiry

Last edited:
So the difference between a really fast car and an insanely fast car all boils down to $10 in electronics. I wonder what this is really worth and whether these are the only differences?
Ingenext said the inverter portion with the 6 mosfets costs brand $1400 brand new from Tesla. You will need a P car to “order” it but only that portion needs to be replaced and not the whole DU to turn a 990 motor into a P car.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Well that’s kind of what I’m saying. Except I’m focusing on the SoC-performance curve right now between P and AWD w/ 980 not just both cars at max charge and clocking them. It doesn’t seem simply that output is limited on the AWD but also that it is limited even further with lower and lower SoC to create a curve where there would otherwise be a flat line of consistent acceleration across most of the SoC.

edit* perhaps I should make a separate thread about this line of inquiry
I think you’re looking for this
BB1956B2-4A3E-4671-83F0-8069CB304014.jpeg

Reactions: hyp36rmax