Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99%? Max charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it have lost a little charge in the time between completion and you returning to the car, or were you watching it the whole time? And what kind of charger were you using? (Home, supercharger, public L1/L2/L3, etc.)

I charge to 80% overnight and frequently see the battery at ~79% when I get into the car. It's more pronounced when I haven't driven much the day before, because that means charging completes earlier and there's more time for "vampire loss" to kick in.

Is the car actually reading 99% using the new "%" instead of miles feature? If so, I have noticed that my car charges to 89% and 79% even though the slider is at 90% and 80% respectively. I think this happens when you are NOT in range mode and have noticed if you are in range mode, it will reflect the percentage correctly. I have noticed VT does this same thing, when charging with Range mode OFF, the rated range shows 90% but the ideal range is showing 89%.

I use the UMC to charge.
Yes I drive in % mode vs distance now just easier for me. I had the bar all the way to max charge and it had only finished a few minutes before I got in it. It said charging complete and it was at 99%. The max bar wouldn't go higher than 99% either. And when I switched to distance it was off by about 4-5 miles from my normal max charge.

I max-charged my 60 this weekend, and charging completed at 99%. When I have charging set to end at 80% or 90%, it always stops at 79% or 89%, respectively. It's not a big deal, I guess, but it messes with me -- it's like stopping the gas pump at $9.99 instead of $10.00 even! Ha!

I use the UMC to charge.
Yes I drive in % mode vs distance now just easier for me. I had the bar all the way to max charge and it had only finished a few minutes before I got in it. It said charging complete and it was at 99%. The max bar wouldn't go higher than 99% either. And when I switched to distance it was off by about 4-5 miles from my normal max charge.

Weird. Does it go thru the "balancing period" where it holds 240 V at ~3 amps for an hour or so?

I still have mine set to miles rather than %, but my last range charge (about a week ago, UMC) netted 249 rated miles, I left mere minutes after it completed, and miles started coming off as I was driving. (I've read many posts that indicated the miles don't come off for around 5 miles after a range charge.)

Most interesting was that my regen was restricted to 15kW instead of 0, which used to be the restriction for several miles. I also have not 100% charged for quite some time.
Anybody else notice the regen too? That would seem to happen at about 99%.