Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#992 just hit 30,000 miles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range charge = 242.268
Standard charge = 186.458
CAC = 150.18

Information from Tesla Tattler 2.5beta

Attachments

• IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 837
Last edited by a moderator:
At what amperage are you charging?
Also, you do need to let the car sit for an hour or so before reporting charge ranges.

A 150 CAC does not yield a 186+ standard charge.

I agree, the 150 CAC doesn't match the std/rng charge numbers since CAC is reflection of health/capacity. Have you taken the Roadster on any really long trips in a while such as a 70% SOC draw?

My first pack when it dropped down to 150 CAC yielded 182 std ideal miles after settling in for 1 hour and 232 in rng mode. Your 186+ number is after 1 hour of settling time right?

The pack I have now bounces around from 159-160 CAC. I'm getting 187-189 std mode charges after 1hr of settling time. The last range mode chg came to 239 although if I do another long one key click drive on the pack that should rise as well. One thing I do see in my pack, when I drive to work after a 30 mile drive in the morning and returning back to the Roadster I'll see my std. miles actually climb up by 2-3 miles. So that makes me think my pack is underestimating the std. mode charges and doing some recalculation that yields this gain.

I'd do a test, after 1hr of a std mode charge, reset your odometer, go for a drive doing 50-60 miles per hour and go about 20-30 miles, and see if the estimate is accurate. If so you are then real getting those miles the VMS states after a charge.

Really curious the mismatch of what we've learned between miles/CAC.

Last edited:
Yea the 186 was NOT after sitting for one hour. I will look at it tomorrow morning but my charge cycle is usually over at 3:00 am or so.....so it will be about three hours. Have never really taken car for long drive.... Get down to 80 est miles every now and then but rarely drive over 80 miles per day......

I also like to play the game of keeping estimated miles close to or over the VDS displayed miles (ideal miles) never let them get over 20 miles difference without a cruise control drive.

Charge at 32 amps Standard chargeable 1am every night .....but cool down charge is set for 15amps Range charge every time I plug in at home..... Time limited to 30min

Wiztecy - I will definitely do the test you outlined when I get back from Michigan next Friday. Until then #992 sits for four days..... Which will screw up my numbers anyway! The mismatch of which you speak will be investigated!!

Last edited:
Each pack I've had had a different behavior when fully charged, meaning the ideal miles the charger would cut out. I had a pack that would charge up to 196 std mode miles at charger cutoff, then it would drop down to 182-184 after 1 hour. That pack had approx 148.5-150 CAC. The pack I have now cuts out right around 192 and settles into 187-189 ideal miles after 1 hour. If your pack is already balanced you'll only need 10-30 mins for balancing. The differences between the two packs and how high the first one charged most likely are the differences in CAC between the bricks, that its charging all the bricks to their highest CAC I believe. Then once the charger cuts off the Roadster bleeds all the high CAC bricks down to the lowest brick CAC.

That wait time after charging is crucial to an accurate ideal miles reading as well as for proper balancing the pack needs. Where you don't want to wait is after a Range mode charge, as soon as the charger cuts off you want to drive off ASAP.

Bob, why are you cutting your charge off @ 3am? Or more so why are you starting your charge so early? Is there a time of use with your power where its cheaper? If not I'd have the Roadster stop charging 1/2 - 1 hour before you need it. That way its not sitting at a higher SOC that's unnecessary. You could even have it end 2 hours before you need it in case you need some cushion.

Thanks for the info. It is usually done charging @ 3am, I don't cut it off. I only limit the cool down time to 30 min because that usually drops battery temp below 61F and that happens in early evening when rates are higher. Charge starts at 1am since I installed version 2.5beta. I used to charge at 3am but just never reset it......which I will do right now.

Smorgasbord states that waiting one hour to report ideal mileage is protocol but you state not to wait for Range Charge.......sooooo
Report Standard charge after one hour and Range charge after charger cutoff.....right?

- - - Updated - - -

Bob, why are you cutting your charge off @ 3am? Or more so why are you starting your charge so early? Is there a time of use with your power where its cheaper? If not I'd have the Roadster stop charging 1/2 - 1 hour before you need it. That way its not sitting at a higher SOC that's unnecessary. You could even have it end 2 hours before you need it in case you need some cushion.[/QUOTE]

This raises an interesting point I am confused on. If I leave #992 in standard mode for three or four days while out of town the battery is at a "higher SOC" than is necessary. Is it not better to put it in storage mode for that time. SOC would be lower and that's better...right??

Thanks for the info. It is usually done charging @ 3am, I don't cut it off. I only limit the cool down time to 30 min because that usually drops battery temp below 61F and that happens in early evening when rates are higher. Charge starts at 1am since I installed version 2.5beta. I used to charge at 3am but just never reset it......which I will do right now.

Smorgasbord states that waiting one hour to report ideal mileage is protocol but you state not to wait for Range Charge.......sooooo
Report Standard charge after one hour and Range charge after charger cutoff.....right?

Nice habit of cool-down. As for the Range mode miles, if you're looking for where it settles down to get an accurate reading on how high the range is for book-keeping / reporting reasons 1/2-1hr typically gives it enough time to balance and settle in. I'm not too concerned with that number anymore, the std. mode ideal miles reflect the same health of the pack. I don't keep my pack at a high SOC anymore when I don't need it and when I do need it I pull it down ASAP down to the std. mode / 80-84% SOC level. If you're just driving the Roadster and need the Range mode charge and true range, unplug and go! Don't worry about balancing... that'll catch up later in no time during the next std. mode charge. I kinda look at it like a boiling kettle in my perspective. I asked Terry Hershner who's been riding his Zero Motorcycle from coast to coast and north to south... he has 53k on the bike now and the original pack which has very little degradation and he charges the pack very fast using 3 chargers at times, but he makes sure to not leave it sitting at 100% and he too rides off pulling the SOC down. Like my comfort zone he likes the pack being between 50-84% SOC.

That being said and understood would it be better for me to put the car in Storage Mode for a four day vacation rather that having it stay in Standard Mode at 80% SOC?

Standard mode is 85% SOC, but for four days I wouldn't worry about it. Storage mode is 20% SOC and is meant for long term storage of the car, say for a few months over the winter. If you're at 85% and switch to Storage for four days the only thing that would happen is you'd lose a few percent to vampire drain and drop to about 80%.

Standard mode is 85% SOC, but for four days I wouldn't worry about it. Storage mode is 20% SOC and is meant for long term storage of the car, say for a few months over the winter. If you're at 85% and switch to Storage for four days the only thing that would happen is you'd lose a few percent to vampire drain and drop to about 80%.

If your leaving for a 4 day vacation, let the Roadster sit @ 50-60% SOC. Lithium Batteries sweet neutral spot is 50%. But keep in mind the pump runs so often gobbling up some SOC over time. So if your Roadster has 110-120 std miles on it, just let it sit there and don't bother charging it up. I'd put it in Storage mode as well, that will just wake the car up every day and check out the SOC. As djp indicated, its not that long so no worries and leaving the Roadster hang out off the charger even is totally fine.

When I go off for my 2 week camping trips I put the Roadster in Storage mode with 50+% SOC and come back with her being fine, not even dropping down the SOC all that much.

Storage mode is really just for very long inactive periods. Whenever I asked Tesla people about using it, I always got back "just leave in plugged in on Standard" - even for a 3 week trip.

I asked about amperage because I've found that charging at low amperages ends up with slightly high Estimate Range numbers, even after sitting for a while. At the end of the day, I believe that CAC is best measurement of your battery life we have today.

Storage mode is really just for very long inactive periods. Whenever I asked Tesla people about using it, I always got back "just leave in plugged in on Standard" - even for a 3 week trip.

I don't understand why they'd say that, they're (Tesla) are just asking for bricked situations from people who think the Roadster can be carefree. They really should be telling people to just leave it in storage mode and forget about it. Ok... if you have a regular charge cycle their recommendation works, however it does not offer insurance if you say you want charge to be on-demand and not off the clock!!! Now I get it, if its plugged into standard, its on the clock to charge every day, its always over 80% SOC! So far away from 0% SOC! ;) Also they're believing that even if its @ 80% SOC that should hold you for the month, which is about right if you're in ideal climates.

I still like leaving the SOC closer to 50% and have storage mode handle the charge if I get down to 20% in case of any emergencies. I know the Roadster will wakeup and ensure everything is good. If not then pull a charge.

I can see that the Standard Mode charge recommendation protects Tesla, as long as they say its on a timer! Otherwise its like having the charge connector off the Roadster.