Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99kw on my 75D, that’s a first for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S75 D and covet the faster charging on Model 3...

From the ABRP article:

Model 3 Long Range, the BT37 battery (75 kWh)
Translating these charge curves into charging times from 10 kWh to 50 kWh in the battery (in absolute energy to make it comparable between battery sizes) we get:
  • Old 120 kW charging curve: 24 minutes 27 seconds
  • New charging curve: 21 minutes 31 and seconds
Model S/X75, BTX5 battery (75 kWh)
  • Old charging curve: 29 minutes 22 seconds
  • New charging curve: 27 minutes 58 seconds
A saving of around 6.5 minutes charging 10kWh to 50kWh with Model 3 vs Model S 75D is quite impressive.

And of course, those 40kWh can take you about 25% further on the Model 3 too!

Sigh... I knew I bought a bit too soon, but really wanted a Model S and a hatchback!

covet the faster charging on Model 3

Bjorn tried a Model-3 on a 350kW Ionity charger (and did same with an Etron) both started at 10%

the M3 charged marginally faster (in percentage terms) up to 50%, after that the M3 tapered (but not much), and stopped at the 90% limit Bjorn had set (presumably not much point trying to fast-charge an M3 above 90% ...)

the Etron didn't taper until 75%, and 90-95% was still 50% of the best speed

On 350kW Ionity charger M3 was doing

10% - 50% = 15% every 5 minutes
50% - 60% 4 mins
60% - 70% 5 mins
70% - 80% 6 mins
80% - 85% 5 mins
85% - 90% 6 mins

those 40kWh can take you about 25% further on the Model 3 too!

Ermm ... on a new-motors Model-S? I thought that was now only about 15% in the favour of M3 ?

But you'll be charging your M3 at Ionity 350kW ... until Supercharger V3 arrives ... and of course only once Ionity lands in the UK, which seems to be sometime-never (compared to EU mainland)

Maidstone is apparently open now.

Thanks, but UK rollout is a bit glacial ...

I'm not understanding why ... EU Ionity coverage has been swift. Plenty of e.g. iPace drivers in UK who would love to have better than 50kW DC 3rd party charging (and from a company that bothers to care / fix broken stalls / solve compatibility issues and is also looking to provide a "plug-in walk-away" service, just like Superchargers - Ionity seems to tick those boxes)

The rest of the EV community needs a charging option as good as Superchargers, otherwise EV adoption is dead in the water (albeit good news for Tesla of course, but not for the Planet)

My 2018 Model S 75D touched 117kW at Woodall southbound yesterday.

I’d done over 130 miles to get there, and charger was set as destination in the navigation. Ambient temperature was around 12C.

Charge rate tapered off really quickly though.

5432AD4E-DD5B-454D-AD52-B498D73DB88D.jpeg