Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9th Annual Sound of Silence Tesla Rally in Custer, SD! May 19-21, 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Just setting this thread up so we all can have a place to discuss this event. NOTE: These dates are tentative right now, if they change, I will modify the dates later.

This event is a large, annual Tesla rally in Custer, South Dakota. If you own a Tesla and would like to go on a road trip, you are cordially invited to attend. I will post additional details here, as the event firms up. Hope to see you there!! Mac

Hey, David! I too, love this event, I guess that is why I do so much work on it each year. I thought the individual t-shirts and everyone gets a swag bag were a little much. SOMEONE (not the people who actually DID the event), decided it would be great. I hear from some of the business owners in Custer that they were not too happy to be asked to fork over TWICE the free stuff as usual. Many businesses do not have the operating capital to just double their contribution to the COC for some event. I think I would be okay with a t-shirt WITHOUT THE DATE on it that I could buy if I wanted. I think I will make that a suggestion. Anything else? Keep in touch... Mac

Th
Hello! Just setting this thread up so we all can have a place to discuss this event. NOTE: These dates are tentative right now, if they change, I will modify the dates later.

This event is a large, annual Tesla rally in Custer, South Dakota. If you own a Tesla and would like to go on a road trip, you are cordially invited to attend. I will post additional details here, as the event firms up. Hope to see you there!!

Well, those dates are FINAL now. Registration is not open yet. Attendance is capped at 200 PEOPLE (not cars). Put this on the calendar and hope to see everyone soon. Mac
I've been wanting to come since I heard about this event and got my first Tesla in Fall 2018. Our Wedding first year conflicted dates. Something each year had issues....I've already got it marked on the calendar at work and we are really looking forward to it. What is the best way to hear the moment they open up reservations for the event? I'd hate to miss out after looking forward to it this long

Hey, David! I too, love this event, I guess that is why I do so much work on it each year. I thought the individual t-shirts and everyone gets a swag bag were a little much. SOMEONE (not the people who actually DID the event), decided it would be great. I hear from some of the business owners in Custer that they were not too happy to be asked to fork over TWICE the free stuff as usual. Many businesses do not have the operating capital to just double their contribution to the COC for some event. I think I would be okay with a t-shirt WITHOUT THE DATE on it that I could buy if I wanted. I think I will make that a suggestion. Anything else? Keep in touch... Mac
Would someone outside the area be able to donate something to all the swag bags? How would I find out?

I'd love to go, but what is the event about? What is the difference between registering, and just going and tailgating?
Not much. Wouldn't be able to participate in the dinner or official events, like the group photograph (you could probably be in it, but you wouldn't receive the files). It's mainly a self-directed two days. But maybe they'll do more this year.?

Well, hell! It is official! All the contracts have been signed and I am committed to yet another year of Tesla madness at the Sound of Silence Rally. You will be seeing me again!!! Get your registration in as soon as you can reasonably commit to it. As of yet, there is no hurry but things can change quickly. Attendance is capped at 200 PEOPLE (not cars). At this time, there are 54 people signed up. I will go sign up tonight, make that 56 including BJ and me. No famous people signed up yet. That damn crazy bunch from Minnesota is coming again!!! Good grief!

NONE of the original 10 cars (uh, the DRIVERS if those cars) are registered yet. I will see if I can roust out a few, heck I may be the ONLYEST original there!!! There are only two six-timers signed up. Nobody from Canada yet. The person coming the farthest at this time is famous TMC member Tdreamer, who is coming from Boston. Dave Ressler will be telling his famous (if you can believe it) Elon Musk story.

The big dinner on Saturday this year is out at the Crazy Horse Memorial, which is a great place!! Put it on the calendar for this year and SEE YOU THERE!!!

Mac

I really think this participant cap is hurting the event's ability to grow. If the event was allowed to grow organically, we could invite vendors, big names in the Tesla community, and really get the word out there. It's difficult to attract attention to a 100-car event.

The town can support a much larger event of 200+ vehicles and 300+ people. Decouple the meal events from general registration, cut the general registration fee in half, make meals optional, paid add-ons, and cap those at whatever your room capacity is for each event. Add other events like technical/information sessions for new owners, and make this a destination to network, learn and have a great time.

I know this is run by the Chamber of Commerce and that I'm preaching to the choir, here. Just my $0.02. I'm willing to put quite a bit of effort into seeing this to fruition next year if the CoC is interested.

PS: I'll be there. :D

Last edited:
I agree with @Big Earl's comments. I'd add that there is very little marketing. How are new Tesla owners supposed to learn about the event? How can it become more of a destination event?

Ideas: special tours of Mount Rushmore or Crazy Horse. Guided tours of Custer State Park. Vender Fair. Guided Black Hills drives to small towns or interesting sites. Tesla parade to the photo op. Tesla story time (give people an opportunity to share an adventure they took with their Tesla, etc.)

I won't be able to make it this year because of other obligations. I'm like so many in that this event always conflicts with graduations.