Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A $15 simple fix to Unnecessary Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd share my simple DIY fix that I tried for my Model S. I noticed around 50 to 65 mph there was significant wind noise / turbulence at the top of my 12/18 Model S Windshield. I noticed looking at many other makes of cars they have a strip between the windshield and roof of the car. So I thought I thought I'd do something similar to see if it would make a difference.

Well I can say I noticed a significant reduction in wind noise. With this basic addition. If you guys try it let me know how it works for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QX4FXC3?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Attachments

• 6CCB7ED7-BBAD-453B-84B6-1CE743DFB9EE.jpeg
    6CCB7ED7-BBAD-453B-84B6-1CE743DFB9EE.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 976
I can’t tell from the picture where you applied it.

It looks like it was applied to the crack/seam where the top edge of the windshield meets the leading edge of the glass roof. You can see the steering wheel through the windshield on the left side in the pic. Looks like they are standing outside of the car on the driver side (next to the side mirror), and taking a pic going the width of the car.... if that makes sense

Reactions: Fiddler
I ordered the seal and installed it last night. It's not a complicated install by any stretch, but it can be a bit finicky. The underside of the seal has a small rubber "keel" for lack of a better term. It is significantly smaller than the gap between the windshield and the roof, so it cannot be used to locate the seal, so it is more of a "free form" install.

I took a few pictures that I will post later.

Impressions are that it does help reduce wind noise a bit, but it doesn't make the car a bank vault. I did not have any whistling or obvious air rushing in around the windshield header, so perhaps I was attempting to solve a problem I did not have. That said, for $15 I think it is worth trying.

I ordered the seal and installed it last night. It's not a complicated install by any stretch, but it can be a bit finicky. The underside of the seal has a small rubber "keel" for lack of a better term. It is significantly smaller than the gap between the windshield and the roof, so it cannot be used to locate the seal, so it is more of a "free form" install.

I took a few pictures that I will post later.

Impressions are that it does help reduce wind noise a bit, but it doesn't make the car a bank vault. I did not have any whistling or obvious air rushing in around the windshield header, so perhaps I was attempting to solve a problem I did not have. That said, for $15 I think it is worth trying.
Does this deal have a sticky surface that you stick to windshield/glass roof? Or is it just mechanical retention?

The windshield glass and the windshield header meet like this and form a channel. There is a factory gasket, but some may say that is not enough to prevent wind noise (as seen from the driver's side):

jnfTvFbl.jpg

It would be a good idea to clean both the glass and metal with alcohol to prep the surface. The underside of the seal has two 3M adhesive strips and a small "keel" in the middle:

AWbSCshl.jpg

However you can see the keel is significantly smaller than the channel:

tpQrJEQl.jpg

Since there is so much wiggle room for the strip to lay in the channel, you may end up with a misaligned strip like this:
CsqXaxll.jpg

As long as you haven't pressed the strip onto the surface, you should be able to reposition it to make it look nice. I found it was better to do this in as long an arc as possible, but I'm still not perfect:
gCHd4AYl.jpg

Still, most would not notice this unless you point it out. I think it helped the noise a a bit. Even after 500+ miles, the strip had no problem staying on car this at 70mph+ even in the rain.