Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A 90D runs like a 75D? Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the pic, it is 90D and I charged to 100% battery for this journey, on the right panel, second row is from last charge which is from 100% battery, and I drove 281.4 Km (176 miles I think), it consumed 63.9 Kwh.

Accroding to my understanding, it should left at least 21.1 kWh ( 85-63.9 ), but on the left panel, only 53Km(32 miles) is left to drive...

85kWh / 21.1kWh = 4.02, but 396KM / 53KM = 7.47 .... this ratio seems not quite right ... or the way of my calculation is mistaken?

And by the way, my comsuption seems constatnly higher than other people, I see a lot MX drivers can make a 165-190wh/km comsuption, but my is at least 200 above.

1156470481.jpg

My consumption is well over 200 wh/km and I'd be surprised if an X gets below that. Maybe the S. However, it really depends on how fast you drive, what size rims you have, temperature, etc. I rarely get the "Rated" miles and I'm always getting less. Mind you, I drive faster than speed limits, so it's expected.

Unless you drive the speed limit or generally drive very slow, don't expect to achieve the rated miles.

A/C use is included in the consumption figures. The consumption figures seem pretty normal to me. I usually average 170-250 Wh/km, depending on A/C use, speed, start/stops, etc.

85 kWh available for the 90D is a bit high, it should be max 84 kWh. Some say more like 82 kWh. And it's less if the car isn't brand new. I don't know why the estimated available capacity isn't higher. One possibility is that the battery management system isn't properly calibrated. The capacity is estimated by the BMS, and it can get a bit confused. It may be that you have a few kWh available after the range has gone to zero. (You don't need to do anything to calibrate it, it should get better with normal use.) Also, the heat may play a role. Higher temps means higher internal resistance in the battery, and more energy lost inside the battery. This loss isn't included in the consumption figures.

Edit: But it's clear you have better capacity than a 75 kWh battery. At 227 Wh/km and 334 km, that's 76 kWh available. A 75 kWh Model X has something like 72.5 kWh available. With a couple of kWh under zero miles, and some unmeasured loss inside the battery, you may be quite close to where you should be, capacity-wise.

Last edited:
At 56k miles my P90D X has usable capacity of 75kWh. I'm upgrading to a P100D X to boost range by 30% (I'm anticipating useable capacity of 97-98kWh with the new X), and also for full self-driving capability when it becomes available.

At 56k miles my P90D X has usable capacity of 75kWh. I'm upgrading to a P100D X to boost range by 30% (I'm anticipating useable capacity of 97-98kWh with the new X), and also for full self-driving capability when it becomes available.

As someone to keeps his cars at least 7 years, I personally wouldn't be very happy with a 17% range degradation after just 1 year. At that point a Model X with a 75kWh battery becomes practically worthless for a road trip on I-90, as it has to stay at each SC station for over an hour.

I believe the 90 had a total battery capacity of 86.#kWh, with 81.#kWh available for use. Yes, it was far less than the 90 number advertised. Should have been the capacity of the original 85 IMHO.

Correct. My P90D range degradation over 60k miles was only 6-7% (not 17%), which is normal. The 100 kWh pack, unlike the 90 kWh pack, is bigger than advertised - 102 kWh with about 98 kWh useable when the car is new.

I believe the 90 had a total battery capacity of 86.#kWh, with 81.#kWh available for use. Yes, it was far less than the 90 number advertised. Should have been the capacity of the original 85 IMHO.

My June 2016 X90D has less capacity then this I believe. This spring I did a charge from 0 to 100% and the charge page indicated that 73KWh's were added. Is this a correct indication? Do I have only 73KWh's of battery available in my 90D Model X?

Thanks for any input.

I called the service center about this also just recently and still waiting to hear back. It's been 2 weeks and still no answer. I've charged it to 100% and only got 61kwh of usage with 15 miles to go so maybe 6-7 kwh remaining. Even with the buffer, it seems awfully low. I'll report back on what they say if anything. I'm getting more an more pissed at Tesla...Capacity may be off and who knows how long we have to wait for the enhanced AP to start using all cameras and being more reliable...

Just took a trip with my family in our X90D to go on a cruise and I can say I'm more than a little unhappy with the amount of kilowatt-hours I was able to get from my battery with a full charge. We barely made it to the supercharger. Needless to say my girlfriend was in a panic the last 50 miles thinking it we were going to be stranded on the side of the road with our 2 year old.

71kwh total. That's ridiculously low. Even from the expected 82kwh, that's a 12% reduction in capacity. How is that acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_094357.jpg
    IMG_20171207_094357.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 77
  • Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy