TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

A bad week - Drive Unit Need Service

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by VOTS01, Sep 12, 2017.

1. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

No later than the Model S battery needs replacing - the Model X comes up with Drive Unit Needs Service (i.e. replacing). It is only three months old and driven by the wife who treats it like a baby.

Tesla have ordered a replacement.

Having a bad week :(

In the big scheme of things - it is comparable to the issues we had with the BMW 5 Series and Land Rover Discovery that preceded them. The BMW spent 3 of its first 12 months at the BMW Service Center and the Discovery made me nervous every time we would get the service bill.
    • Model S (2 years) - 3 door handles required replacing (all under warranty). Rim required replacing (not Tesla's fault). Battery requires replacing (under warranty).
    • Model X (3 months) - 2 seats require replacing (delivered with small rips). Drive Unit requires replacing (under warranty.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Drive unit replacement at least is pretty routine, in both senses of the word, Tesla has done a lot of them and it's not a complex process. When I had mine replaced it took a few hours

3. garyjac

garyjac Member

Nevertheless, a notice I hope never to see :eek: Let us know how "smoothly" the replacement process proceeds.

4. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Not holding my breath. Have been waiting for the replacement seats for three months and I expect a similar time frame for the battery and drive unit. Hopefully sooner but I imagine limited by the logistics of sea transport.

I have asked if they can throw in a free 2''' hitch for the Model X for the inconvenience :)

5. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

As a minor update:

Model X was taken in for service and (I believe (wife took the car in)) the drive unit replaced - fairly uneventful. No noticeable difference in driving.

Interestingly the drive unit error message actually disappeared a couple of weeks prior to the service appointment with a firmware update but Tesla still took it in for service.

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Low drama - now you have 8years and unlimited miles to make it happen again. You need to drive it every now an then and abuse it so it breaks in correctly.

7. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Look at it as an opportunity.

Unlike other manufacturers, with Tesla you're probably going to get an upgraded component as a replacement. My MX is going in for front drive shaft replacements due to high vibrations on hard acceleration, especially severe on high suspension setting. Negligible on low setting.

Replacing a DU etc on an EV is nothing like swapping a DU on an ICE. My 2002 Landcruiser Turbo diesel had an engine replaced at 5000kms. That meant a long engine where all the things like fuel pump, turbo etc were swapped over to the new engine. All this was due to a small crack in the head near a welch plug. The motor was getting water in the oil. My dad bought this car off me and has had it for the last 9 years and it's done almost 300k kms.

It's frustrating yes but at least in Melbourne you have a great service centre. Over here in the west we've only just got our very own new service tech and still need a bona fide Tesla service centre. It will come.

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The drive unit replacement is a one man operation I was told by the senior service adviser here in Sydney.

9. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Yes - I must admit - I was impressed it was done so quickly.

Now I just need to wait for the battery replacement on my Model S (still shipping it over here).