TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A bad week - Drive Unit Need Service

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by VOTS01, Sep 12, 2017.

1. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

No later than the Model S battery needs replacing - the Model X comes up with Drive Unit Needs Service (i.e. replacing). It is only three months old and driven by the wife who treats it like a baby.

Tesla have ordered a replacement.

Having a bad week :(

In the big scheme of things - it is comparable to the issues we had with the BMW 5 Series and Land Rover Discovery that preceded them. The BMW spent 3 of its first 12 months at the BMW Service Center and the Discovery made me nervous every time we would get the service bill.
    • Model S (2 years) - 3 door handles required replacing (all under warranty). Rim required replacing (not Tesla's fault). Battery requires replacing (under warranty).
    • Model X (3 months) - 2 seats require replacing (delivered with small rips). Drive Unit requires replacing (under warranty.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Drive unit replacement at least is pretty routine, in both senses of the word, Tesla has done a lot of them and it's not a complex process. When I had mine replaced it took a few hours

3. garyjac

garyjac Member

Nevertheless, a notice I hope never to see :eek: Let us know how "smoothly" the replacement process proceeds.

4. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Not holding my breath. Have been waiting for the replacement seats for three months and I expect a similar time frame for the battery and drive unit. Hopefully sooner but I imagine limited by the logistics of sea transport.

I have asked if they can throw in a free 2''' hitch for the Model X for the inconvenience :)