Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Battery is Expensive - so, Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYTimes.com: Most consumers want to be able to recoup the additional cost of an alternative-technology vehicle within a year, Mr. Anwyl said. At today’s gas prices, the payback generally takes several years, if not more.
Seems like there should be some way for an EV manufacturer to offer a cheaper up front price and a pay-as-you-go on the battery. I think a solar company does that (Solar City?) where the installation is cheap or free and you rent the panels, but the energy savings basically pays for the rental cost and then some. If there was a way to set that up for EVs it would bring the "base" price down below an equivalent ICE and the battery "rental/lease/whatever" cost would be offset by fuel savings.

Last edited:
Nissan had basically said the same thing for the LEAF at first:
Nissan to lease LEAF battery for $150/month
But then did a change of direction and decided to keep the pack as part of the car:
No Battery Leases for Leaf, Says Nissan.

Some of it may have been due to bad PR / backlash from people still remembering the GM EV1 "we are taking our cars back" fiasco. There had been concerns expressed like "what if they don't renew my battery lease?"

I don't understand why "long payback" is a problem. I mean, I understand that people psychologically don't like to take a hit now for a payoff later. But I don't think that applies here.

Most people get a loan or lease anyway. Let's say a gas Focus is $250/month, and a Focus electric is $375/month. But the average US driver saves $121/month in fuel costs, so they get their "payback" (same monthly outgo for a better car!) immediately.

What am I missing? (Serious question; I have never had a lease or loan and only look at TCO, so I don't understand how most people buy). Are they really only considering up-front costs, and not the payment? Are my guesses on the lease rates that far off? I know Leaf and Volt can be leased for $350.

I suppose one problem with a higher-up-front car is that if the car is destroyed, or sold underwater, you are on the hook for a larger loan payoff. But then again, if nothing happens to your gas cars but gas prices continue to rise, you are on the hook for larger gas payments. Another problem could be that the down payment would have to be higher.

I don't understand why "long payback" is a problem. I mean, I understand that people psychologically don't like to take a hit now for a payoff later. But I don't think that applies here.
The article said folks want to recoup within a year, so it's pretty much the long payback issue. It's also a sticker shock marketing issue . If you can bring the MSRP sticker price down that helps get past one of the initial hurdles of getting someone to look at an EV.

I understand the sticker shock part, because most people haven't calculated how much they spend on gas (average car 22mpg, 150k miles - that's 6,818 gallons, at $3.50 per gallon (like it's going to stay there!) that's almost $24k.

But I still don't understand what "payback" people are looking for. I understand many lazy people might not do the math and have sticker shock; but if they don't do the math, how do they "know" the payback "takes several years or more"? In some cases (as in the example above) the monthly payments for EV + fuel will be less than gas car + fuel.

Last edited:
But if they are calculating payback, surely they are looking at how much they are spending.
You give vastly more credit to the average person than they deserve :). "I was told there would be no math" is practically a lifestyle motto these days.

They look at the two prices and basically go "that one looks enough bigger that I'd have to do math, so it must be worse." If you have to do math to show something to them, they look at you suspiciously like you're doing a magic trick. Seriously.

Last edited:
But I still don't understand what "payback" people are looking for. I understand many lazy people might not do the math and have sticker shock; but if they don't do the math, how do they "know" the payback "takes several years or more"? In some cases (as in the example above) the monthly payments for EV + fuel will be less than gas car + fuel.

It's for hybrids, not EVs. A hybrid version of a standard car generally costs thousands more. Therefore, one can calculate, based on the better gas mileage of the hybrid vs. the standard version of the car, and averaging a certain number of miles driven per year, how many years it would take to "make up" the difference between buying the hybrid version of a car instead of the regular version based on the gas savings over that time period. This can be done with, for example, the Toyota Camry, Lexus RX, etc.

This was a common question when hybrids came out. It doesn't really work for EVs, or even for hybrids (like a Prius) that don't really have a non-hybrid equivalent. You'll notice in the article that they even compare a Volt to a Cruze.

Most people get a loan or lease anyway. Let's say a gas Focus is $250/month, and a Focus electric is $375/month. But the average US driver saves $121/month in fuel costs, so they get their "payback" (same monthly outgo for a better car!) immediately.
Focus Hatch is 18,300. FFE is 32,500 (after Tax Cr). At 5% the monthly payments are $345 & $613. The difference is $268.

At 33 mpg, 1,000 miles a month and $4/gallon, it costs someone only $120. At 2,000 miles a month the difference starts to disappear - but that is very high mileage and brings its own set of questions about battery warranty and durability.

The quoted comparison - Volt vs Cruze, I'm sure works even worse for Volt.

This is the reason why people who buy a plug-in buy because they attach a value to it being a plug-in. Just like people who buy a luxury car instead of a Camry.

BTW, if we do that math comparing Mazda 3 to Leaf 2011, Leaf will actually come out ahead.

1car-cost-compare.png

Last edited:
Focus Hatch is 18,300. FFE is 32,500 (after Tax Cr). At 5% the monthly payments are $345 & $613. The difference is $268.

The base Focus hatch is not a good comparison for the FFE, which will be their top-of-the-line model completely aside from the powertrain.

My numbers were lease numbers. After gas savings, there is no difference. Your numbers are purchase numbers; but in addition to not using comparable vehicles, you have not included the higher resale value of the FFE (which is used to set lease rates). Which admittedly doesn't help with the payments, but it does make the TCOs comparable.

Although as we've all noted, none of this matters because nobody does the math...