Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
slipstream_mx3.jpg
As the owners of a Model X and Model S, we dreaded the thought of drilling holes through our bumper or applying strong adhesives to the finish just to mount a license plate in an effort to avoid the cost and hassle of being ticketed. Previously, we had taken the chance of running "naked" for awhile, but the concern of being stopped always loomed over our heads. The available no-drill options are fine, but each one has some drawbacks with regard to excess stress and fatigue placed on the plastic grille. Then there is the difficulty, tools and amount of hardware required to install these other brackets and the fact that many of these products actually block up to 40% of the cool air inflow. Considering how important thermal management is to the performance, efficiency and longterm reliability (and warranty) of an electric vehicle, we couldn't bring ourselves to bolt a big piece of metal or plastic over the most critical air intake on the car.

With many years of experience in product engineering and metal fabrication, we decided to think outside of the box and come up with something new. Our ultimate goal was to improve upon the best products in the business and then make it better by addressing the areas of concern that had prevented us from buying those aftermarket products in the first place. To begin, we knew we had to make it easy to install and have it be very secure. Our self-leveling assembly takes less than a minute to install or remove - all on demand - and locks into place using a single L-key tool. We solved the problem of fatigue on the plastic grille by utilizing a Patent Pending dual fulcrum design that transfers road vibration, gravity and wind force away from the plastic grill and downward toward the more durable front air dam. Even in situations where the license plate comes in direct contact with another vehicle or object, we developed a way to have the bracket enter into a "temporary state of suspension" thereby protecting the intake grille from permanent damage in the event a minor impact occurs. Finally, we designed the our product, appropriately named The Slipstream Bracket, to be "aerodynamically invisible" allowing virtually unrestricted cool airflow to the drivetrain while still maintaining a low profile and clean, attractive design. The finished product is a beautiful, high-quality, rust proof assembly made from aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel that seamlessly matches the slick showroom look of your Tesla.

Since late 2017, the Slipstream Bracket has been in use on several Tesla's logging thousands of miles. The results have been nothing short of exceptional! Autopilot, parking sensor, radar and Homelink systems work perfectly. The assembly has been capable of supporting the weight of a license plate, a chrome license plate frame, an acrylic cover, a traffic toll transponder and a heavy coating of thick Winter ice - all at the same time and without any damage to the car.

The flexibility of being able to quickly and easily remove the complete license plate assembly - with zero evidence of anything having ever being there - really enhances the Tesla ownership experience and truly preserves the aesthetic and monetary value of the vehicle. You're no longer limited to where we can go and what you can do. The Slipstream Bracket by The Tesla Grin, LLC the perfect solution for being able to visit ANY automatic car wash of your choice (brush or touchless), as well as restoring the showroom beauty of your Tesla, whenever desired. Using the single provided L-key tool, you can even lock the theft deterrent fasteners and never have to worry again about losing your plate or being ticketed for failure to properly display a front license plate.

With so many advantages the Slipstream Bracket has over the plastic OEM product and competing no-drill solutions, we truly believe we have finally come up with the perfect solution. It's strong, lightweight, easy to install and is engineered to protect the most critical components of your Tesla.

We are currently shipping Slipstream Brackets for Model X with our newest Slipstream Bracket for Model 3 will begin shipping mid October, 2018. Both kits include the single L-key tool you need to secure your bracket quickly and easily, requiring no additional tools. We take pride in fast, same day shipping and every one of our brackets comes with a full money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.

If the Slipstream Bracket for Tesla Model X or Tesla Model 3 sounds like something you're interested in and you'd like to give one a try, please check out our website at the link below. As a TMC member, you'll also receive a SPECIAL DISCOUNT CODE in appreciation for your support and feedback.

Click Here: The Slipstream Bracket™ for Tesla Model X and Model 3 - Shop Online

Thanks for reading our story and we look forward making the next Slipstream Bracket we ship the one for your Tesla!

Last edited:
Nice. Is that padding where the support brackets sit on the bumper? Is there any risk of scratching where these contact points are? Also, it’d be nice to make the bolt heads below the plates a bit more invisible/ blacker.

Nice. Is that padding where the support brackets sit on the bumper? Is there any risk of scratching where these contact points are? Also, it’d be nice to make the bolt heads below the plates a bit more invisible/ blacker.
Yes! That is weatherproof padding that protects the finish from scratching. And, I agree completely with your thoughts concerning camouflaging the lower screws and have actually made that change on the most recent kits. You're right, it does look better! Thank you for your feedback and thoughts concerning the Slipstream Bracket. I sincerely appreciate your input!

Reactions: ftlum
The three key selling points of the Slipstream Bracket from TheTeslaGrin.com are:

1) NO drilling, NO holes, NO adhesives and NO magnets
2) Does NOT block the critical cold air intake
3) Patent Pending dual fulcrum design directs force and vibration away from the delicate plastic grille

The Slipstream Bracket is a strong, high quality, quick release solution that can be installed in about 60 seconds and secured using one single L-key tool (included). The entire assembly can be removed in about a minute using the same key tool. All on-demand and without needing any additional tools.

So why not use the factory OEM no drill no damage bracket? The factory setup uses high quality 3m adhesive to stabilize it so no sand or dirt gets between the bracket and paint. Weather strip will let small amounts of dirt and sand get trapped and then the small vibrations caused by normal driving will leave scratches. Not seeing any advantage at all with this over the free factory setup, what am I missing?

So why not use the factory OEM no drill no damage bracket? The factory setup uses high quality 3m adhesive to stabilize it so no sand or dirt gets between the bracket and paint. Weather strip will let small amounts of dirt and sand get trapped and then the small vibrations caused by normal driving will leave scratches. Not seeing any advantage at all with this over the free factory setup, what am I missing?
Factory bracket can NOT be removed and installed on demand - it's an eyesore and is always there unless you want to keep prying it off and replacing the tape every time. Plus, the factory adhesive doesn't always hold unless the contours are perfect (which they are not on every car). Some plates have been lost and there are YouTube videos talking about how only a small portion of the plastic factory bracket actually sticks to the bumper. This could be partially because when Tesla details the cars before delivery and they wax the front bumpers, in order for this tape to actually stick, you have to strip away the wax with chemicals or compounds in order to get the 3M tape to hold properly. The Slipstream Bracket holds securely no matter what and has little to no adverse effect on the original factory finish compared to long strips of 3M adhesive tape.

Factory bracket can NOT be removed and installed on demand - it's an eyesore and is always there unless you want to keep prying it off and replacing the tape every time. Plus, the factory adhesive doesn't always hold unless the contours are perfect (which they are not on every car). Some plates have been lost and there are YouTube videos talking about how only a small portion of the plastic factory bracket actually sticks to the bumper. This could be partially because when Tesla details the cars before delivery and they wax the front bumpers, in order for this tape to actually stick, you have to strip away the wax with chemicals or compounds in order to get the 3M tape to hold properly. The Slipstream Bracket holds securely no matter what and has little to no adverse effect on the original factory finish compared to long strips of 3M adhesive tape.

I’m not trying to knock your product I’m just pointing out some points. I must just be missing the point of taking a plate bracket on and off repeatedly but I guess if that’s what someone wants they could put weatherstripping in place of the 3m adhesive on the factory bracket. I can’t imagine the factory plate bracket ever falling off with how well it is attached. Speaking from my experience owning a body shop and removing multiple Tesla plate holders, unless it was intentionally removed it isn’t coming off. If there is a video of a factory bracket falling off without assistance it isn’t real, don’t believe everything you see on YouTube. The factory plate holders use hidden security fasteners in addition to the 3m adhesive and are so durable that they are actually required for the car to meet the Federal crash worthy standards. Because the front brackets are required for crash standards Tesla is not allowed to remove them in-house. Weatherstripping will without question over time cause wear damage to the front bumper due to dirt and sand buildup between it and the paint because it isn’t bonded direct and in effect is like wet and dry sanding the contact points. Oh yes and the point of the flexibility of 3m adhesive tape is so that it compensates for any irregularities in contours. 3M adhesive tape should be the 8th wonder of the world with its incredible strength in addition the ability to remove it without damage.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Xolt
No worries. I appreciate your perspective with regard to stick-on plastic license plate holders and your experience of owning a body shop. I certainly do not take your opinion as an insult to this product. For those who may not know, all three currently available Tesla models vary greatly in the way the OEM license plate bracket assembly sticks to the front bumper. The Model S, of which I believe you're referring to, ships from the factory with the assembly already in place by a professional (possibly robotic) installer. Of the three models, this one IMO is the best looking and most integral of the factory options. It's permanent. The Model X bracket, on the other hand, requires drilling holes directly through the visible surface of the bumper. Definitely the worst. I do like your idea to place weatherstrip between the hard plastic and the finish on your car to minimize the grinding of the hard plastic directly against the finish. The weatherstrip would service as an effective buffer similarly to the seals on the doors. Light abrasions from the chance of dirt or sand being temporary trapped between car washes could be easily buffed out provided the contact area is small. Model 3 ships without the license plate assembly attached and requires the owner to peel back the tape and perform a DIY stick-on installation. Do it right by stripping away the wax, applying it perfectly straight and performing the install when the outside temperature is right and you're good. However, do it somewhat right and the integrity and appearance is seriously compromised. Right or wrong, what you end up with is a $20 piece of black plastic permanently stuck to the front end of a $55,000.00 plus Tesla. The use of fasteners ultimately creates the most permanent installation. Unfortunately, fasteners create permanent holes and the only way to fix that is a trip to the body shop for an expensive repair.

None that I can think of. The factory bracket for Model S is, by far, the best of the three models. X and 3 are not nearly as nice. The Model S bracket should work fine if you don't plan to ever remove it.
thanks for replying.
the only time I can think of someone wanting to take off if I get the ceramic / PPF installed, but then those guys will know what they are doing, as if they rip/chip something, they are the ones who will have to make it look like new again :)

thanks for replying.
the only time I can think of someone wanting to take off if I get the ceramic / PPF installed, but then those guys will know what they are doing, as if they rip/chip something, they are the ones who will have to make it look like new again :)
Yes. The OEM bracket would have to come off in order to have PPF installed properly. Those guys are experienced with putting the adhesive backed brackets on correctly. Be sure to have them do your headlights and driving lights if you have it done. Those plastic parts take a beating.

Yes. The OEM bracket would have to come off in order to have PPF installed properly. Those guys are experienced with putting the adhesive backed brackets on correctly. Be sure to have them do your headlights and driving lights if you have it done. Those plastic parts take a beating.
of course. Hoping to get it all done this year, to maximize tax benefit as this year, It'll be easy to show a near 100% business use !