Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and Newbie Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would share this with the group, with so many newbies like me on here, who may safer some initial range anxiety.

I've had my M3 LR for a couple of weeks, but today was the first range test for me. Not a massive journey but about 160 miles round trip. After reading a lot I wasn't sure how it would go, so was a little nervous.

I took the advice and used ABRP, putting in the temperature this morning when I left off. It said I would use about 30% getting there, and the same coming back. Being a little anxious I charged to 95% for my departure time. When I got home this afternoon I am at 33%. So ABRP was only out by a couple of % points, which is pretty good. I followed the speed limit on the journey (mostly), a bit of start stop stuff on the way there due to M40 & A34 issues, I had the heating on and 1-3 bacon there and back.

So for anyone feeling as I did before I left, you can have some confidence that the tools seems to work quite well. The energy meter in the car was accurate as well, again to within a % point of the % charge when I would arrive at either end. Even the route planner was pretty accurate as well.

For the 95% charge, 180 mile journey in two legs a few hours apart, I have 101 miles left. So 281 in total for 95% charge in the chill of winter. So about 296 for 100%.

Can any of you wizards out there tell me if this is what I should expect... this was my first drive in the M3LR that was more than just around the corner. Not huge by any means (about 50 miles each way to visit my brother). Round the M25. So some motorway driving (but I have my chime set on 73mph so nothing too fast ... Chime def. needed for me as it is way too easy to enjoy the drive so much that you start forgetting about those other important things like Speed Limits! :D)

I had no range anxiety as such as there was never a question about making it home. But I was more concerned with the amount of range that I seemed to eat up - far more than I was expecting. And, if I entered the info correctly, A Better Route Planner seemed to think I would lose around 10% each way (although it suggested going via the North Circular, which I did not do...so maybe the comparison to ABRP is not valid). As you can see from TeslaFi, it looks more like 18% each way.

So I started thinking that if I got 93 miles worth out of 36% of my battery use, then that would equate to a bit under 260 miles on 100% charge. And I was expecting it to be way higher than that (maybe closer to a bit over 300 miles, a number I arrived at by simply taking the official 348 WLTP range and lopping off 15% as a guesstimate for real world driving conditions).

Is 260 miles on 100% the new normal? Or is there something I should be doing differently?

upload_2020-3-16_14-10-16.png

Oh, and as for weather conditions, there was some rain, somewhat heavy at times. But not for the whole journey.

Looking forwards to your replies... Thanks

Oh - and I took my brother for a spin whilst I was there ... I got him to video his face as I hit the pedal ... what a great video that made ! :D (but clearly that drive is not included in the above data!)

Someone better informed than me can make a more informed comment, but I can share what I played with in ABRP. I did make sure that I put in both details for the temperature and head winds (just looked at the weather app and used that as my estimate). I can't recall if you can input cabin temperature in but if not it would be a good addition. I was looking at videos on the 'cost' of heating, which I believe can add 20% onto consumption, you were at a nice comfortable 20 degrees. The different route would also impact this, as I would imagine the north circular has a lower speed than the M25 (insert you own joke about the M25), there was a nice graph posted the other day which showed that the quicker you go the worse the consumption which of course makes sense.

Interested to see what others say.

I think I need to go on some long journeys to properly get used to the new EV lifestyle, currently I haven't had the need to do any charging on route or at my destination. Of course with more remote working there will be less opportunities :(

A Better Route Planner seemed to think I would lose around 10% each way (although it suggested going via the North Circular, which I did not do...so maybe the comparison to ABRP is not valid). As you can see from TeslaFi, it looks more like 18% each way.

Yes, ABR chooses a route that it believes to be the most efficient so you can't directly compare. I won't comment on the detail because mine is an SR+ but you will find significant variability from journey to journey and your kWh per miles are in the right ball park given the conditions. Try to get ABR set to the route you will actually use and it will give a fairly close prediction. Your car does not have a fixed range. You will get to know which kind of journey is liable to be more or less demanding in terms of your available battery percentage. Keep your car topped up every day and you will always have the best range available.

275 Wh/Mile is about right for an M3 - 4-miles per kWh.

to a bit under 260 miles on 100% charge

I reckon on 240~250 miles at motorway speed ... so that sounds about right.

maybe closer to a bit over 300 miles

Sorry, you aren't going to get that (except at 20 MPH :( ). Sorry if you have assumed that from the published official test, which is based on combined-cycle. On a max-range journey you are very unlikely to be driving like that, much more likely to be 70+ MPH on motorway, so for Max Range you'd need to use a 70 MPH figure (you should be able to nudge up to to 4 Miles / kWh)

MS LR Raven can only do a bit over 300 (at Motorway speeds). Your journey max was 70-ish MPH, average is 42 which doesn't sound like motorway speed (probably normal for M25 though ...) so you will maybe get a bit less at steady 70 MPH.

some rain, somewhat heavy at times.

That, and snow, is worst for range. Have to push the water out of the way, mile-after-mile, regardless of Fast / Slow, so slowing doesn't help very much (whereas it does help for the aero part of consumption)

I can't recall if you can input cabin temperature in but if not it would be a good addition

You can adjust the overall by "X%" in ABRP to take account of driving style ... ermmm ... I mean "whether you have the heater on" :)

I was looking at videos on the 'cost' of heating, which I believe can add 20% onto consumption, you were at a nice comfortable 20 degrees

I doubt it anything like that much. It might be that much if you were crawling along bumper-to-bumper, but not at 70 MPH (were propulsion is a much bigger user than heating). But heating off, and seat heater on, will help with range - if you are happy to sit in a £50K car with thick coat and bobble hat on ... In extremis I have done that, and drafted a truck ...

My view on Range is "Short journey, don't care. In February Wh/Mile will be atrocious" and "Long journey, pre-conditioned on shore-power where possible, then once underway then in February Cold makes perhaps 10% difference". Add another 10-20% for rain / torrential rain (usually not for whole journey). Travelling Salesman, in Winter (stopping for an hour each time) is terrible. Full set-off energy penalty each time as the battery will have got cold.

Last edited:
Yes, if I force a waypoint on ABRP to make it go via the M25, then it dramatically increases the Charge Used (in fact to more than I experienced in real life).

So I guess the question moves a bit away from ABRP and more towards what range should I be expecting in the M3LR.

Temperature wise, I definitely was comfortable as I had taken my coat off... I can experiment more with heat / cold settings.

And yes: I am also doing a lot of remote working whilst this coronavirus issue grips the country. Let us all just hope everyone stays healthy and gets used to the various new forms of social greeting that are taking hold!

I was more concerned with the amount of range that I seemed to eat up - far more than I was expectin

A further point: Put the Destination in SatNav and then set Energy Graph to TRIP. That will show a prediction for journey and arrival. Would be useful to see how that compared to your actual drive (assuming SatNav suggested the same route of course :) but even if it didn't when you detoured it would have adjusted the graph).

That's your best weapon for Range Anxiety - if you see the Actual graph line predicting arrival percentage that makes you nervous, or is "impossible", then you can slow down; draft a truck (even at safe distance that helps ... and truck will only be doing 50-ish, so that removed temptation to press on :), or worst case find somewhere to charge).

I use that when heading for next Supercharger on route. As I start to get closer, and if arrival prediction is over 10%, I speed up. Overall journey (given you are going to stop to charge anyway) is shorter if you drive-faster / charge-longer, up to about 90 MPH. Assuming that you won't be paired when you get there ...

what range should I be expecting in the M3LR

4 miles per kWh best, 3 miles worst (adjust if "driving like you stole it" :) )

Temperature wise, I definitely was comfortable as I had taken my coat off... I can experiment more with heat / cold settings.

Let me suggest that you try to avoid being drawn into sacrificing comfort for range. You have a fabulous car that you payed plenty of money for ... just enjoy it! Use the heating in a way that makes your journey comfortable. The extra charging that you will do to compensate will be negligible. Of course there may be the rare occasion when you really do have to think seriously about maximising everything so that you reach your destination. You are right to do what you can to understand how your car is going to respond to real-life journeys but once you've done enough to get a handle on things life will be much more pleasant if you can push that away from the front of your mind!

Let me suggest that you try to avoid being drawn into sacrificing comfort for range. You have a fabulous car that you payed plenty of money for ... just enjoy it! Use the heating in a way that makes your journey comfortable. The extra charging that you will do to compensate will be negligible. Of course there may be the rare occasion when you really do have to think seriously about maximising everything so that you reach your destination. You are right to do what you can to understand how your car is going to respond to real-life journeys but once you've done enough to get a handle on things life will be much more pleasant if you can push that away from the front of your mind!

Wise words.

For 95%+ of my driving I really have nothing to be in the least bit concerned about and for the 5% (or less) when I do need to think about it, I believe I will enjoy the supercharging / snacking / watch a bit of Netflix experience.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Wise words.

For 95%+ of my driving I really have nothing to be in the least bit concerned about and for the 5% (or less) when I do need to think about it, I believe I will enjoy the supercharging / snacking / watch a bit of Netflix experience.
I did my second supercharge at the weekend in 6000 miles of driving and I have to say it was it was awful.
I charged from 35% to 80%. and it cost me a fortune! £14 for 2 coffees and cakes in Starbucks at the M40 services in Oxford and I didn't even have time to enjoy it before the car started hasling me to come back.
Next time I'm going Ecotricity then i'll have time for a leisurely 3 course meal :D

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Joelly
I was expecting it to be way higher than that (maybe closer to a bit over 300 miles, a number I arrived at by simply taking the official 348 WLTP range and lopping off 15% as a guesstimate for real world driving conditions)

Ignore the WLTP figure - its a fictitious mix mode journey that bears no resemblance to your drive. On a LR AWD, use 310 miles (when new, will degrade over time) which equates to an efficiency of approx 225Wh/mile. You may have got WLTP if you drove at steady 30mph with no HVAC.

225Wh/mile or less is achievable real world with care and right conditions, so 310 miles which is what the car will initially show at 100% charge, but it will depend on numerous factors, including speed, acceleration, use of HVAC, temperature, rain, whether it is a long or short journey, etc etc. Your 27xWh/mile is pretty good for what you described, but then its been a warmer day than over the winter. You may be lucky to dip below 300Wh/mile on some cold days. You will soon learn what makes a difference, things that are largely hidden from view in an ICE vehicle, except when purhaps a bit less range between fuel topups.

Last edited:
Reactions: gidster99
On longer journeys I likely drive more carefully and slower than I did in my ICE car, let AP do the work for me and its a nice place to be, so don’t mind it take a few extra minutes to get to where I want to be but the reality those few extra mph make little difference to journey time. So I end up being a safer in my M3. But I do enjoy the odd spirited drive, because it would be rude not to. You wouldn’t believe the number of things I volunteer to go out and get, if I have to self isolate I am doing it in the M3.