Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner Doesn't Load in Tesla Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I got ABRP to run in the Tesla browser... for a bit.

It's hard for me to understand a company that is supposedly developing cutting edge software to pilot the car, with all our lives depending on it... and they can't even get the auto headlights, auto wipers or browser to work! Really?

Yes, but cut them some slack, those fart noises are realistic and sure come in handy.

Upvote 0
Yes, but cut them some slack, those fart noises are realistic and sure come in handy.
As an retired software development manager at a major tech company, I find it difficult to "cut them some slack". Did they:
.. do this on purpose to foil a third party software product
.. not test the browser when making the change
.. not care that it was broken and rolled the change out

I find the "not invented here" syndrome prevalent in the auto industry. My vote is for #1.

Upvote 0
.. do this on purpose to foil a third party software product
.. not test the browser when making the change
.. not care that it was broken and rolled the change out
Could be. I'd pick #3 myself. #1 gives credit for thinking about the implications of their change at least. Don't think they do that very much. Or could be #2 as well - historically don't see much regression testing either throughout the software stack, followed quickly by #3.

Upvote 0
I think you're being harsh here. Developing a web browser isn't as simple as you might think. They would need to constantly update the Chromium or whatever core engine they use. That alone takes developer time, and they might not have much. They are probably on some worst core that they would need to maintain themselves and costs a lot of time.
The browser is a convenience, it's not a main feature of the car, don't mix it up with wipers or FSD. I sure hope they spend most of their time on FSD/wipers , significant car systems and potentially life-threatening if they fail, instead of the browser.
The browser is not a feature that makes or breaks the decision to buy the car. If you complain too much, it might just be taken away :p

Separately, there's the matter of security which is more prevalent now than it was a few years ago. A potentially malicious web page being able to obtain your position as you drive, and probably being able to tell that it's running in the Tesla browser (and not someone in their home) is a dangerous proposition. It's totally possible that GPS position was removed from the browser for pure security reasons. It might have been re-added due to pressure but it remains a security concern.

Do I want the browser to be present, working, and blazing fast? Sure, like anyone else. I'm just trying to understand the reality of the situation they have to work within.

Upvote 0
I think you're being harsh here. Developing a web browser isn't as simple as you might think. They would need to constantly update the Chromium or whatever core engine they use. That alone takes developer time, and they might not have much. They are probably on some worst core that they would need to maintain themselves and costs a lot of time.
The browser is a convenience, it's not a main feature of the car, don't mix it up with wipers or FSD. I sure hope they spend most of their time on FSD/wipers , significant car systems and potentially life-threatening if they fail, instead of the browser.
The browser is not a feature that makes or breaks the decision to buy the car. If you complain too much, it might just be taken away :p

Separately, there's the matter of security which is more prevalent now than it was a few years ago. A potentially malicious web page being able to obtain your position as you drive, and probably being able to tell that it's running in the Tesla browser (and not someone in their home) is a dangerous proposition. It's totally possible that GPS position was removed from the browser for pure security reasons. It might have been re-added due to pressure but it remains a security concern.

Do I want the browser to be present, working, and blazing fast? Sure, like anyone else. I'm just trying to understand the reality of the situation they have to work within.

Not much developer time? Why? I guess it's the narrow profit margins they are seeing?

I have always pointed out to people that Teslas are more like cell phones than cars. That always sets them back a bit. In general, I don't recommend anyone should buy any electric car other than a Tesla. I also don't recommend anyone should buy a Tesla.

Upvote 0