Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner vs Tesla route planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my model 3 performance next week. I have to make a short trip to shreveport, la from Dallas, Tx. ABRP shows it takes 96% of a full battery to go 196 miles. Tesla trip planner is about the same. Is the range really that poor of a Tesla? Especially when this Model 3 advertises a 315 mile range. This is really bothering me?

I pick up my model 3 performance next week. I have to make a short trip to shreveport, la from Dallas, Tx. ABRP shows it takes 96% of a full battery to go 196 miles. Tesla trip planner is about the same. Is the range really that poor of a Tesla? Especially when this Model 3 advertises a 315 mile range. This is really bothering me?
Depending on your speed, that is a possibility. Speed kills range.

Having said that, my actual reference consumption in the Y is about 10% less than the default. I don't know if a similar thing would happen in the 3P, but it is possible.

The problem is in the "advertises" word. Tesla actually list EPA range. To understand what that means, you need to understand how the EPA do their tests and come up with that number. Essentially, they do:
- 5 loops of some low speed city driving and some highway driving at 55mph.
- They then continue at around 55mph until the car cannot hold 55mph.
All of that with no wind, at 72F, on a dyno. Once you understand that, you'll understand that you cannot compare your 75mph highway long stretch with that.

It's the same for ICE cars with mpg, with one main difference. As ICE engine are very inefficient, they suffer more in city driving so you would do worse mpg there. On the highway, you run the ICE engine for less time so the inefficiency isn't as bad. You might even do better than EPA. An EV is very efficient so it loses to things like aerodynamism (i.e. speed is bad).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The EPA 315 mile range the Model 3 Performance was given had 18" wheels so there's no way to get that same range with 20" wheels in the same test.

The EPA test has both highways and roads to average out the expected range in EVs. Traveling at higher speeds meets more wind resistance so range naturally drops a lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Every 3 is different, but ABRP measures my LR-AWD reference efficiency at 65mph as being 245Wh/mile, which is close enough to the EPA estimate. I just drove 4400 miles from Maine to Denver and back, at 115% of the posted speed limit, which meant as fast as 86mph in Nebraska and Colorado. The highest I had to charge to was 76%, and I only had to charge above 70%, 3x in 20 stops, one-way. Does it really matter when there are plenty of superchargers, and stops are fast? My average stop was 17mins, and that includes the times I charged more than necessary as I took longer eating, etc.

When you find that the fastest way to drive is to drive fast, and charge often at low SOCs, you'll learn to not mind so much.

I went back and checked out ABRP for shreveport to dallas. Its showing over 90% usage, but it also shows that the M3P 2021 is a "beta" with a reference consumption of close to 290wh/mi. I think you will likely be closer to 255wh/mi as their beta estimates are often intentionally high, though you'll need to spend some time with the car to find that out for sure. If that were the case, though, you'd likely use closer to 80% of the battery, which, tbh is about what I'd expect for this trip.

It looks like there's a supercharger along the way too... probably 5 minutes there would keep you from having any range anxiety this early in your experience.

The problem is in the "advertises" word. Tesla actually list EPA range. To understand what that means, you need to understand how the EPA do their tests and come up with that number. Essentially, they do:
- 5 loops of some low speed city driving and some highway driving at 55mph.
- They then continue at around 55mph until the car cannot hold 55mph.
All of that with no wind, at 72F, on a dyno. Once you understand that, you'll understand that you cannot compare your 75mph highway long stretch with that.

It's the same for ICE cars with mpg, with one main difference. As ICE engine are very inefficient, they suffer more in city driving so you would do worse mpg there. On the highway, you run the ICE engine for less time so the inefficiency isn't as bad. You might even do better than EPA. An EV is very efficient so it loses to things like aerodynamism (i.e. speed is bad).
The test Tesla does on all of their newer cars with heatpump is a bit different than what ICE vehicles do as doing a 5 cycle additional test to get a better derating factor than .7 worked in Tesla's favor and enables tesla to list an even greater range figure.

Reactions: jsight