Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner - for Model X Too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
abetterrouteplanner.com keeps saying I need to relog in to my tesla account. I've tried my token and just logging in but it fails every time. It was working just last week.

The Tesla unofficial API (which all non-Tesla apps use) is often shaky and returns empty results from time to time. Hard to separate a temporarily broken server from a temporarily broken connection, and for obvious reasons hard to get support from Tesla :)

Anyhow, let me know if the problem persists and I will try to help you fix it!

The Tesla unofficial API (which all non-Tesla apps use) is often shaky and returns empty results from time to time. Hard to separate a temporarily broken server from a temporarily broken connection, and for obvious reasons hard to get support from Tesla :)

Anyhow, let me know if the problem persists and I will try to help you fix it!

I had to change my Tesla password and generate a new token (not sure why) but I'm live again. Thanks for looking into it.

I am a very newbie Model X Owner (3 weeks now) and loving the car.
I am impressed with the ABRP on my MacBook Pro for pre-trip planning.
We are taking our first (6 hour) road trip to the coast over the forth of July weekend where I plan on using the ABRP, but I have a basic question. How do I use it in, or get it into the car??
Or do I have to do something like run my laptop while in the car running down the road at some (legal) high rate of speed??
As I said - a very newbie question - clearly still learning the car and all the control stuff.

Got it working, the problem was clearly an operator training issue.
I had never, yet, used the internet (I did say I was a very Newbie driver).
Got the internet working (in my garage with WiFi), Logged in, and the ABRP files I had generated all showed up.
Really starting to love this car.

Reactions: Big Earl
Coming back to this thread to say I've used ABRP several times at home to pre-plan my trips and get a general idea of where to stop, when to stop, and how long it will take. I don't use it in the car though.

The one thing I have not figured out how to do is to tell it the max number of hours I want to drive in a day before stopping for the night. It seems to think I am going to drive coast to coast 24 hours a day. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Coming back to this thread to say I've used ABRP several times at home to pre-plan my trips and get a general idea of where to stop, when to stop, and how long it will take. I don't use it in the car though.

ABRP is one site that works fabulously well on the browser in the car. If you establish an account on the ABRP site, you can log in from the car and have access to all routes you planned from home. You should try it.

The one thing I have not figured out how to do is to tell it the max number of hours I want to drive in a day before stopping for the night. It seems to think I am going to drive coast to coast 24 hours a day. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.
I did a 5,000+ mile trip in 11 days back in February this year, and didn't have it pre-planned, so the daily segments were something I just did manually. I had a couple of half days or so I spent at relatives' houses in that 11 days, so I was putting in pretty heavy 500-600 mile days for most of it. I would just get up in the morning and start checking distances on Google Maps on my tablet. I would pick a city that was about 3-5 Supercharger steps ahead along my route and see how long that distance was. Maybe adjust +1 or -1 Supercharger stop to get a good distance that I liked. Then, I would usually plot it into EVtripplanner so that it would give a good ballpark for the total time, including the charging stops. Then, I would settle on that as an end point for the day and go book an AirBNB in that city. That was how I did the whole trip day by day.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I did a 5,000+ mile trip in 11 days back in February this year, and didn't have it pre-planned, so the daily segments were something I just did manually. I had a couple of half days or so I spent at relatives' houses in that 11 days, so I was putting in pretty heavy 500-600 mile days for most of it. I would just get up in the morning and start checking distances on Google Maps on my tablet. I would pick a city that was about 3-5 Supercharger steps ahead along my route and see how long that distance was. Maybe adjust +1 or -1 Supercharger stop to get a good distance that I liked. Then, I would usually plot it into EVtripplanner so that it would give a good ballpark for the total time, including the charging stops. Then, I would settle on that as an end point for the day and go book an AirBNB in that city. That was how I did the whole trip day by day.
Yea Rocky, I do something similar and find it is easier to plan my trips and allow for changes.

ABRP is one site that works fabulously well on the browser in the car. If you establish an account on the ABRP site, you can log in from the car and have access to all routes you planned from home. You should try it.
Nice to know, yet I don't use ABRP that much in the first place. I probably open it for 5 minutes or less on my computer to just see roughly what it plans. It doesn't have the features I want in order to use it in detail for trip planning.

My process is somewhat similar to Rocky. In my case, I use software on my laptop to do complete trip planning that allows me to define where I want to stop and rest or sleep for the night, things I might want to see along the way (entertainment, sites, etc). I don't care about the EV trip planners as in my travels over the USA on business and pleasure, I have never had to plan around where the SCs are located. They've always been nicely spaced across my routes, so I don't lock myself into using EV trip planners. After planning a trip on the laptop software, I just hop in the car and plug in the couple of addresses along my first day and let the car determine where to charge.

Obviously there are lots of ways and many tools to use for planning trips and

I do something similar and find it is easier to plan my trips and allow for changes.
However, intentionally not planning it was one of the minor purposes to accomplish for this trip. It was something I want to be able to tell people who don't own or understand electric cars and think that it's impossible to travel with them. "I went on a 5,000+ mile trip in an electric car, without even having the cities picked out that I was going to stop in." That's an important firsthand experience I want to be able to share to open people's eyes to how amazing and useful the Supercharger network already is.

I did the same, sometimes picking up hotels with destination chargers. It worked great. Even got a destination charger that was broken, but there was a supercharger a few miles away with a place for dinner, so it wasn't an inconvenience. Our trip was more like 300 miles each day, but have toddlers, so the math is entirely different. We always overstayed charging stations feeding babies and changing diapers. You can check it out on youtube (though I should have stressed the lack of planning).

I use it for planning purposes but then use the router in the car when actually driving. We are planning a trip across the whole USA from Southwest to Northeast and beyond (New Brunswick, etc). I just routed to my destination using ABRP and set my departure time from home at 9:00 am (realistic for us). I then look at the route and where it is planning on charging at say 5-6 pm. I then try to find a hotel at that location or someplace close to there. I then add the hotel as a waypoint to my route and set it's departure time to 9:00 am. If that hotel has chargers, I'll add that info to that way point too. Reroute, then look for the 5-6 pm sweet spot for stopping again. Rinse, repeat.