Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, please. Uppladdning is more up to date and I've updated it myself too. If you switch, I'll try to keep it updated as I'll be able to use it. :)

There you go, uppladdning.nu is active in Finland. The server is still caching distances so it may be a bit slow for another hour or two but things are working. Also, the goingelectric.de database is still active in Finland so there are some duplicates.

Reactions: DKPowers
Is there a way to set a minimum speed, preferably a minimum % below the posted speed limit? Perhaps this is an edge case scenario, but between Amarillo, Texas and Dallas, Texas ABRP proposes routing via Childress, Texas. It is the shortest in time and distance, but requires going 20-30 MPH below the speed limit, so perhaps half the speed traffic is actually doing. The speed limit for most of this route on US Highway 287 is 70 MPH.

The alternate route via Oklahoma City, Oklahoma takes three hours more, but is substantially safer.

childress.jpeg

Reactions: Missile Toad
First of all: I LOVE abetterrouteplanner, it's great! Thank you for your great work.

I do have one small thing that I think would make it a little bit better to use:

Can we get smaller URL's to share?
Right now ABRP gives me URL's like this one:
ht_ps://abetterrouteplanner.com/?destinations=Amsterdam%3B%3B%7CBrussels%3B%3B%7CMatougues%2C%20France%3B%3B%3B175%3BSC%7CMoulins%3B11%3B15%3A00%7CAmsterdam%3B%3B&initial_soc=98&arrival_soc=5&charger_soc=5&charge_overhead=5&speed_factor=110&max_speed=50&typ_con
sumption=210&find_alts=false&allow_ferry=true&adjust_speed=true&longbreak_wps=&exclude_wps=&extra_chargers=&carmodel=s85

Which is to big for Gmail to recognize as just 1 URL in emails, so the people that I send the URL's to, don't get all the details of the plan.
Now that I look at it some more, it might also be just the return that is between "..typ_con" and "sumption..." Maybe you can fix just that?

First of all: I LOVE abetterrouteplanner, it's great! Thank you for your great work.

I do have one small thing that I think would make it a little bit better to use:

ht_ps://abetterrouteplanner.com/?destinations=Amsterdam%3B%3B%7CBrussels%3B%3B%7CMatougues%2C%20France%3B%3B%3B175%3BSC%7CMoulins%3B11%3B15%3A00%7CAmsterdam%3B%3B&initial_soc=98&arrival_soc=5&charger_soc=5&charge_overhead=5&speed_factor=110&max_speed=50&typ_con
sumption=210&find_alts=false&allow_ferry=true&adjust_speed=true&longbreak_wps=&exclude_wps=&extra_chargers=&carmodel=s85

Which is to big for Gmail to recognize as just 1 URL in emails, so the people that I send the URL's to, don't get all the details of the plan.
Now that I look at it some more, it might also be just the return that is between "..typ_con" and "sumption..." Maybe you can fix just that?

If nothing else, just paste the long link in a link shortener such as Google's Google URL Shortener and email the short link to others.

This site if fantastic. I can't wait to use it with my M375, hopefully by the end of the year. Assuming Model 3 versions will be added. Also, are you able to use this from the cars web browser or do you have to do this on your phone while driving? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Falkirk

Just use a URL shortener. Here is an example of one.

Google URL Shortener

You can even get a browser extension to create them.

This site if fantastic. I can't wait to use it with my M375, hopefully by the end of the year. Assuming Model 3 versions will be added. Also, are you able to use this from the cars web browser or do you have to do this on your phone while driving? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the Model 3 will be added once we get serious data on it, including consumption and charging characteristics. The intention with ABRP is to be able to follow up the plan in real-time while driving, re-plan if necessary etc, but the current browser is unfortunately not a pleasure to use.

For most, ABRP is best used as a tool for planning and dreaming :)

I really like your software. I have noticed a couple of times where it has me stopping at a supercharger for zero minutes and not charging. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to tell it to avoid that charger?

Yes, those zero time stops (not too common though) are a consequence of the problem solved: The planner can only plan routes between points according to "fastest route with a range-unlimited vehicle", i.e. like how e.g. Google maps solves the problem between two points. Sometimes with an electric car, it would be beneficial to take a slower route but which consumes less energy to reach the next charger, and in rare cases ABRP will then find that going to a charger without charging gives you a route which is actually better than taking the "range-unlimited fastest" route between the two original points since that extra charger stop forces a route which consumes less energy.

Reactions: David99 and rpez021
Yes, those zero time stops (not too common though) are a consequence of the problem solved: The planner can only plan routes between points according to "fastest route with a range-unlimited vehicle", i.e. like how e.g. Google maps solves the problem between two points. Sometimes with an electric car, it would be beneficial to take a slower route but which consumes less energy to reach the next charger, and in rare cases ABRP will then find that going to a charger without charging gives you a route which is actually better than taking the "range-unlimited fastest" route between the two original points since that extra charger stop forces a route which consumes less energy.
Google Maps also has a tendency to cheerfully offer "better" routes while in transit, to save time when traffic patterns change. Again, the focus is time, and assumes unlimited range.

Is there a better way to ask Google to offer a more balanced approach to route planning and re-planning, than simple "feedback"? It's really annoying to be pestered by Maps to go way out of my way to save a few minutes. Assuming I have the time, sitting in traffic improves my range considerably, and may save time in the long run by avoiding a charging stop, but there's no accounting for this in their algorithms.

Google Maps also has a tendency to cheerfully offer "better" routes while in transit, to save time when traffic patterns change. Again, the focus is time, and assumes unlimited range.

Well, since a while back, ABRP is not using Google for routing backend any longer, but an internal server based on the OSRM routing code and OSM maps. So you will not get any traffic-based updates, like it or not :)

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to plan a trip from San Francisco CA to Tahoe City CA. The routeplanner suggests I stop in Rocklin and use the supercharger which makes sense as its half way. Then it has me ending up in Tahoe City with 10% left. There are no SuperChargers in Tahoe City so can someone tell me how to use the routeplanner so I can charge to full in Donner Pass Truckee? I can't figure out how to get it to let me charge to 100% either.

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to plan a trip from San Francisco CA to Tahoe City CA. The routeplanner suggests I stop in Rocklin and use the supercharger which makes sense as its half way. Then it has me ending up in Tahoe City with 10% left. There are no SuperChargers in Tahoe City so can someone tell me how to use the routeplanner so I can charge to full in Donner Pass Truckee? I can't figure out how to get it to let me charge to 100% either.

You can plot a round trip in ABRP by adding waypoints. Click the Add Waypoint link and input the following route:
  1. San Francisco
  2. Tahoe City
  3. San Francisco

Then click on Show Settings and input the following at least:
  1. Start Departing Charge - Set this to the % charge you'll be leaving San Francisco with
  2. Charger Arrival Charge - Set this to the % charge that you're comfortable going down to on your trip. 10% is the default, but if you want to be more conservative you can use 15% or 20%.
  3. Goal Arrival Charge - Set this to the % charge that you want to end up with once you're back in San Francisco.

Now when you click Plan Route, ABRP will figure out where to charge near Tahoe City to get you back to SF, probably by charging at Truckee.

ABRP doesn't recommend you to charge up to 100%, since the charging time from 90%-100% is very slow and a 100% charge is not good for the battery if done frequently.

If you don't want to plot a round trip, but instead just want to end up in Tahoe City with a high charge level, then just use the "Goal Arrival Charge" setting and ABRP will add the Truckee supercharger to your plan.

Reactions: David99 and rpez021
You can plot a round trip in ABRP by adding waypoints. Click the Add Waypoint link and input the following route:
  1. San Francisco
  2. Tahoe City
  3. San Francisco

Then click on Show Settings and input the following at least:
  1. Start Departing Charge - Set this to the % charge you'll be leaving San Francisco with
  2. Charger Arrival Charge - Set this to the % charge that you're comfortable going down to on your trip. 10% is the default, but if you want to be more conservative you can use 15% or 20%.
  3. Goal Arrival Charge - Set this to the % charge that you want to end up with once you're back in San Francisco.

Now when you click Plan Route, ABRP will figure out where to charge near Tahoe City to get you back to SF, probably by charging at Truckee.

ABRP doesn't recommend you to charge up to 100%, since the charging time from 90%-100% is very slow and a 100% charge is not good for the battery if done frequently.

If you don't want to plot a round trip, but instead just want to end up in Tahoe City with a high charge level, then just use the "Goal Arrival Charge" setting and ABRP will add the Truckee supercharger to your plan.
Thanks SomeJoe for helping me. Is there a way I can arrive at Tahoe City with a higher than 10 or 20% charge? Is there a way I could charge at Rocklin just enough to get to Donner Pass which is only about 50 miles from Tahoe City and charge there to 80% or so?