Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I did update the charging curves for the 75, 90 and 100 batteries according to charging data shared from ABRP users logged in with MyTesla. Interesting that it affects your charging times so much - could you share the route with us by "Get Link" and pasting it here?

A Better Routeplanner

Since it didn't keep all the settings I had here's what I set as well.
Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 10.52.33 AM.png

How to contribute data: Log in to MyTesla in ABRP in the car browser or your phone. Do not uncheck "Share data". Keep a browser with ABRP open while charging. The car browser will shut down if you exit the car, so if you some time anyway sit in the car, keep ABRP open in the car browser.​

I am trying to do this but.....I cant find the button in ABRP that lets me open MyTesla. I'm trying from my desktop, as that a more responsive browser and lets me learn more about ABRP. Please give this dummy idiot-proof instructions as to how to share my data with you.

I can log into MyTesla and paw through those account things. I can open ABRP and plan some routes. Dont know how to open both at the same time.

How to contribute data: Log in to MyTesla in ABRP in the car browser or your phone. Do not uncheck "Share data". Keep a browser with ABRP open while charging. The car browser will shut down if you exit the car, so if you some time anyway sit in the car, keep ABRP open in the car browser.​

I am trying to do this but.....I cant find the button in ABRP that lets me open MyTesla. I'm trying from my desktop, as that a more responsive browser and lets me learn more about ABRP. Please give this dummy idiot-proof instructions as to how to share my data with you.

I can log into MyTesla and paw through those account things. I can open ABRP and plan some routes. Dont know how to open both at the same time.

Sorry for the poor description. What I meant was to log in using your MyTesla account in the ABRP menu under Settings->MyTesla login. This will allow your browser to gather data from the Tesla servers about the state of your car in realtime. If you keep "share data" checked, relevant and anonymous data from the Tesla servers will be stored in the ABRP database for further modeling and knowledge gathering (as well as sharing here).

Sorry for the poor description. What I meant was to log in using your MyTesla account in the ABRP menu under Settings->MyTesla login. This will allow your browser to gather data from the Tesla servers about the state of your car in realtime. If you keep "share data" checked, relevant and anonymous data from the Tesla servers will be stored in the ABRP database for further modeling and knowledge gathering (as well as sharing here).
AaaHaa - found the login information at the lower portion of the screen. Did not recognize it for what it was doing. Now you should be getting my stuff.

Reactions: Falkirk
@blincoln
For fun and giggles... I just compared what nav gives me against abrp and when I force the same route the car is picking it comes out to be same miles and only 10 minutes difference in time. Nice job there! Especially considering that they're both calculating 12 SC stops!

Specifically for Model 3 owners, but also for other not preferring the in-car browser while driving: "ABRP car mode" is now automatically engaged in any browser when logged in to MyTesla in ABRP and the car is either moving or charging. This means that the browser will display real-time follow-up information at the bottom of the screen, for example estimated reference consumption.

Reactions: dwploc
First time user...so basically when supercharging I log into mytesla account on abetterrouteplanner website. The browser will do the rest?

Also does the browser save my login information or do I have to manually enter them each time I share the data?

Currently supercharging.

First time user...so basically when supercharging I log into mytesla account on abetterrouteplanner website. The browser will do the rest?

Currently supercharging.

Right, you log in once and then as long as you are on the ABRP webpage on the same browser charging statistics will be logged. (You will have to re-login every three months since MyTesla tokens expire - but ABRP will tell you).

@blincoln , I'm trying to plan a road trip for next summer and thought of a great feature that would make your site even more useful. When we are planning a route, can you allow us to add theoretical Supercharger locations? For example, if I try planning a trip from Denver to Banff now, it routes me through existing Superchargers all the way west to Washington and then east through British Columbia. If I could place a 'planned' Supercharger in Kalispell or Great Falls (where Tesla will build them in 2018), it would make the trip much shorter and route me north through Montana to Alberta or British Columbia, nearly cutting the trip in half by going from 2019 miles down to 1171 miles.

Actually, since Tesla shows planned Superchargers on their site, could you allow us to toggle all of those on or off? That way it could just just be an option to include future/planned cities and allow users to start planning for future trips. As those Superchargers actually come online, it might change the routing slightly but for now, it would allow planning much more efficient routes.

@blincoln , I'm trying to plan a road trip for next summer and thought of a great feature that would make your site even more useful. When we are planning a route, can you allow us to add theoretical Supercharger locations? For example, if I try planning a trip from Denver to Banff now, it routes me through existing Superchargers all the way west to Washington and then east through British Columbia. If I could place a 'planned' Supercharger in Kalispell or Great Falls (where Tesla will build them in 2018), it would make the trip much shorter and route me north through Montana to Alberta or British Columbia, nearly cutting the trip in half by going from 2019 miles down to 1171 miles.

Actually, since Tesla shows planned Superchargers on their site, could you allow us to toggle all of those on or off? That way it could just just be an option to include future/planned cities and allow users to start planning for future trips. As those Superchargers actually come online, it might change the routing slightly but for now, it would allow planning much more efficient routes.

You could try doing it like this: A Better Routeplanner

Shared data statistics time - Part II: Driving

Again, thanks to generous data sharing from ABRP users, we have enough data points to dig into some Model S and X characteristics. This time power consumption while driving on flat land at constant speed - just like ABRP models consumption (elevation is taken care of separately).

This is power consumption for Model S, adjusted for elevation and speed changes to correspond to flat land and constant speed, from 65 vehicles, one data point per minute, in totalt 13276 data points. Basically no other screening - all temperatures, rims, driving styles, roof racks, and whatnot in the same point cloud.
s90d.png

The red line corresponds to the best fit of a third order polynomial - the same type of model that EPA uses (but best fit coefficients here). From this line, the ABRP reference consumption would be
  • 205 Wh/km at 110 km/h (metric)
  • 321 Wh/mile at 65 mph (imperial)
Not far off from the default ABRP values!

How about Model X? Same type of data from 40 vehicles, 6977 data points:

x90d.png

Again, fitted model gives ABRP reference consumption:
  • 246 Wh/km at 110 km/h
  • 379 Wh/mile at 65 mph
Not far off from default ABRP values again. Of course, these models contain a lot more than just this reference point, but it is still interesting to compare.

Now how about a comparison to the current ABRP consumption model, based on the Tesla blog post Model S Efficiency and Range :
abrp_cons.png

Fitted models indicate that both Model X and S consumes a lot more at low speeds than ideal - which is probably due to high traffic driving, stop-and-go traffic etc. On the other hand, it seems like at least the Model S may consume a bit less at high speed than we thought.

So basically, again, we need more data!
  • Model 3 data, please :)
  • Model X and S data at higher speeds, above 150 km/h. German drivers, Teslas cannot go that fast, or can they? ;-)

Last edited:

Fitted models indicate that both Model X and S consumes a lot more at low speeds than ideal - which is probably due to high traffic driving, stop-and-go traffic etc. On the other hand, it seems like at least the Model S may consume a bit less at high speed than we thought.

What about heating and other electric usage. Will that not explain the difference at lower speeds?

We've had our S75D for less than a month and will be going on our first "long" trip of 232 miles (per ABRP) this weekend. Looking at the graph posted on Sunday it appears that the default 324 Wh/mile @ 65 mph is pretty darn accurate. However, I have made this trip several times via ICE and I know that the section between Lathrop, CA over the Altamont Pass to Livermore, CA and back to Lathrop is usually under 50 mph with many miles of stop and go driving.

Starting at Tesla's Rocklin SC with 90%, ABRP projects us going through Lathrop at 52% and arriving at Dublin's Super Charger with 30% remaining. With the likelihood of the protracted stop and go driving is the 30% projection still valid? Is there a setting that I can adjust to better depict the effects of stop and go traffic? I have the slower speed box checked.

Thanks for your assistance.

What about heating and other electric usage. Will that not explain the difference at lower speeds?
So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that either:
(1) heating and other electrical usage has a greater relative effect at lower speeds vs. higher speeds, or
(2) lower speeds may be more representative of trip starts (vs. trip continuation), so heating, etc. is more frequently represented?

I don't know much, but my guess is that acceleration (especially hard acceleration) and deceleration (as in stop-and-go traffic) is likely more common at low speeds vs. high speeds, and that may play a role in higher energy usage (on average, YMMV). Just a thought. Real people don't drive like the EPA test, especially in regard to acceleration.

Again, thanks to generous data sharing from ABRP users, we have enough data points to dig into some Model S and X characteristics. This time power consumption while driving on flat land at constant speed - just like ABRP models consumption (elevation is taken care of separately).

This is power consumption for Model S, adjusted for elevation and speed changes to correspond to flat land and constant speed, from 65 vehicles, one data point per minute, in totalt 13276 data points. Basically no other screening - all temperatures, rims, driving styles, roof racks, and whatnot in the same point cloud.
View attachment 265761
The red line corresponds to the best fit of a third order polynomial - the same type of model that EPA uses (but best fit coefficients here). From this line, the ABRP reference consumption would be
  • 205 Wh/km at 110 km/h (metric)
  • 321 Wh/mile at 65 mph (imperial)
Not far off from the default ABRP values!

How about Model X? Same type of data from 40 vehicles, 6977 data points:

View attachment 265762
Again, fitted model gives ABRP reference consumption:
  • 246 Wh/km at 110 km/h
  • 379 Wh/mile at 65 mph
Not far off from default ABRP values again. Of course, these models contain a lot more than just this reference point, but it is still interesting to compare.

Now how about a comparison to the current ABRP consumption model, based on the Tesla blog post Model S Efficiency and Range :
View attachment 265763

So basically, again, we need more data!
  • Model 3 data, please :)
  • Model X and S data at higher speeds, above 150 km/h. German drivers, Teslas cannot go that fast, or can they? ;-)
@blincoln - First of all - THANK you for all of your hard work.

Second, I have my NEW MXP100D coming in next week and we will be taking it on an 700+ mile road trip almost immediately. Just to make sure I am doing this correct - I need to do the following in order to be helpful to you:

1. Set-up my vehicle profile in ABRP (via my desktop which I have already done and established an account).
2. Allow ABRP to log-in to MyTesla (can I do this beforehand on my desktop or do I need to do this from the X?)
3. I have multiple Teslas - does it automatically look for my X (other is an S) or is there something I need to do so it knows which vehicle's data to track?
4. Open ABRP as I am driving or can I just do it before I charge (I use TeslaWaze while I am driving to avoid those pesky smokeys)?

Thanks again!

@blincoln - First of all - THANK you for all of your hard work.

Second, I have my NEW MXP100D coming in next week and we will be taking it on an 700+ mile road trip almost immediately. Just to make sure I am doing this correct - I need to do the following in order to be helpful to you:

1. Set-up my vehicle profile in ABRP (via my desktop which I have already done and established an account).
2. Allow ABRP to log-in to MyTesla (can I do this beforehand on my desktop or do I need to do this from the X?)
3. I have multiple Teslas - does it automatically look for my X (other is an S) or is there something I need to do so it knows which vehicle's data to track?
4. Open ABRP as I am driving or can I just do it before I charge (I use TeslaWaze while I am driving to avoid those pesky smokeys)?

Thanks again!

Congratulations on the new (nice) car! All you need to help out in ABRP is to be logged in to MyTesla in the car browser and have ABRP open while driving and/or charging. The MyTesla login session is for security reasons never synchronized between devices so be logged in on the device you keep open whil driving or charging.

Good luck on the trip!