Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@blincoln hey! I can't change the car model on my phone. Everything else seems to be working fine. Android 8.1 Google Chrome browswer. Only get Tesla Model S 85 in the box and when I click it there is only "Tesla" in the dropbox.
I have Android 8.1 and the Chrome browser.... I just tried this and I too saw the "Tesla" in the "Tesla Model" field - but then I noticed an arrow to the right of the word "Tesla". If you see the arrow, click on it.....

Battery Statistics - Xmas Driving Edition

Merry Christmas everyone - I see in the ABRP logs that there has been a lot of Driving Home for Christmas recently, so I though I'd share some updated data from your charging. I have updated the charging characteristics in ABRP accordingly.

Enough talk; BT85, classic MS85 battery:

BTX4, 90 kWh battery in S90 and X90:

BTX5, Model S and X 75 battery, sometimes limited to 60 kWh:

BTX6, Model S and X 100 battery:

BTX8, a unicorn 85 kWh battey, software limited to 75 in some Model S and X 75 - needs more data but looks a lot like the classic BT85:

Finally, still not a lot of Model 3 data so I do not dare to update the ABRP model yet (red line is the current curve based on BT85). Looking like really high power charging below 50%, though:

I have quite a lot of data point for the more common car models, so just let me know if you would like me to investigate some particular aspect of them.

It would have been interesting to see updated versions of these graphs, I would imagine you have a lot more data now?

The blog posts are just plain awesome... really, fantastic work!

I had my first road trip (1600 Km) and tried ABRP on the car browser several times comparing to the estimates given by the onboard navigation tool.

ABRP was surprisingly accurate predicting the percentage of charge I would have on my next supercharger stop.

Reactions: Darren S
I guess it's probably just the awful canadian internet speed + tesla browser but i'm having a hard time getting everything work together.

its either
a)I type a destination and nothing popup and i get can't get route, but the map and following the car is fine
b)typing a destination works but the map remain blue.

Also is normal that when I type a specific adress i don't see it pop in the list but it will still work if I do plan route?

There are new versions, and a lot more info over at the ABRP Blog: About A Better Routeplanner – Updates, news and statistics from ABRP

@blincoln You forget to mention the effect of temperature on drag resistance, often unknown or underestimated !
15 degree C temp colder means 5% more air density, a factor in drag resistance (air density being the ‘ro’ in the formula 1/2*ro*A*Cw*v^2). So the difference between 25C in the summer and -5C in the winter is 10%.
And as we know power consumption at highway speeds is mostly to overcome drag resistance, far far less than rolling resistance.

So at 20kW @ 100km/hr that could add an extra 2kW to your power consumption.

I guess it's probably just the awful canadian internet speed + tesla browser but i'm having a hard time getting everything work together.

its either
a)I type a destination and nothing popup and i get can't get route, but the map and following the car is fine
b)typing a destination works but the map remain blue.

Also is normal that when I type a specific adress i don't see it pop in the list but it will still work if I do plan route?
The new address autocomplete - non-Google due to new pricing - is not as complete as Google's. However, if you type in an adress which is not autocompleted, it will still translated correctly to a position using Google once you press Plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker
@blincoln - is there any change which broke the compatibility with desktop browsers? I've tried today, both Chrome and Firefox. The config panel is packed and empty, when I open it, fill (add, no location box is there) locations and car and press Plan, I see "Waiting for proxy tunnel" in browser status bar (some parameters in URL) for a while and then it lands on the home page again with news and empty config block. I will try in the car tonight.
Thanks for checking
Btw great sw, thanks for the effort.

Attachments

• abr1.png
    abr1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • abr2.png
    abr2.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 45
  • abr1a.png
    abr1a.png
    181 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I am a first time user and just found this tool today! I am leaving on a trip from Texas to Florida in my Model 3 in 9 days (~2000 km each way). I am hoping to use this app to help with the trip. Any suggestions for a Model 3 owner? I can't seem to figure out how to login to link my Tesla account to the website. I will have my iPhone X I can use to track while I am in the car. What's the best thing to use on the iPhone to follow along? Should I be using Safari and run it on the charger while driving? Or is there some better way to do this while on the road? I have a LR with 19" wheels so you might get some data from that. I have a lead foot so we should see some high speed consumption rates :)

Also I am stopping at destination chargers at 2 hotels on the way to FL and will have the ability to charge overnight hopefully. Is there a way to get the routing to allow me to tell it that the car will be charging to 90% at those waypoints?

Last edited:
I figured out how to add the destination chargers. One it kind of did automatic for me the other one I had to find on the map. Also I found my trip maxes out google maps because they only allow 10 stops. I might need to break it up some.

A Better Routeplanner 3.0

So, after ironing out a couple of release bugs, we are proud to present ABRP 3.0. Full release notes are on the ABRP blog. Main new features is support for multiple EV brands, starting of with the first serious Tesla contender: Chevy Bolt/Ampera-e. We expect to add more serious long trip capable EVs as we learn!

To keep quality of consumption and charging models up to ABRP standards, we will base these on logged OBD data from actual cars and not manufacturer-provided theoretical numbers. This ensures that the plans you get out of ABRP are actually realistic (well, at least when it comes to consumption and charging!)

Give it a try at A Better Routeplanner and let us know if you have any improvement proposals or find bugs. Yes, "we" as Bolt owner Jason has spent part of his summer to add the multi-brand support for ABRP - welcome to the team!

Just for kicks, I did an arbitrary route plan from Sea World, San Diego to Bend, Oregon.

Chevy Bolt charging time was 7:27 via Medford. Going the more direct route through Klamath requires slowing to 43mph due to a lack of chargers. Driving time was 15:43 for a total of 23:10.

Model 3 LR Aero charging time was 2:01 and driving time of 13:48 for a total of 15:50.

Enough said.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, I wasn't able to find the answer with a search.
I have a Model 3 LR with 18" Aero wheels. I also have SeaSucker bike rack as well as bars. For reference, here are some typical Wh/km @ 110 km/hr for me. Keep in mind I got the car June 2nd, so I've only been driving in summer temps:
Naked car: 145-150 Wh/km
Add SeaSucker Monkey Bars and stand-up paddleboard: 190-195 Wh/km
Add SeaSucker Bomber bike rack & 3 Mtn bikes: 230-235 Wh/km

I'd like to calculate a trip to our favourite ski hill with the Monkey Bars & a roof box, however it's summer time so I don't know what my Wh/km in winter would be with the roof box. I'm thinking that ABRP assumes the Wh/km entered in Reference Consumption is not only for 110 km/hr, but also at typical summer temps, say 25 deg C. Then if I enter a winter temperature (say -10C) and pick snow for road conditions, it will adjust from there. Is this correct?

Or do I have to wait until winter and mount the roof box and go for a test ride in winter conditions to find out the actual Wh/km and enter that in Reference Consumption? A little more instruction on using the Reference Consumption combined with Outside Temps, Road Conditions, Wind Speed, etc. would be appreciated.

Reactions: robertvg
My best-summer vs. my worst-winter (which would typically be -5C - 0C here ) is 20%.

If it is fair to assume that if I stuck bikes on the car the Summer / Winter differential would still be 20% then I reckon just altering the base Wh/km in ABRP is all you need to do.

Perhaps the increase air density at cold temperature might have a more dramatic impact with something like bikes on the roof?